Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now May4th Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo

• Burn
  • Customer Reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on August 2, 2000
Been waiting for Jo Dee's return? Here it is after two years of writing, re-writing, laying down tracks, getting it all together in the studios with co-producer Tim McGraw. And this disc lives up to its title--"Burn". Presented with passion & pop are 11 well mixed eclectic songs which unmask Jo Dee's mind and heart.
My favorite song is the slowly evokeful "Bring On The Rain", a duet with Tim McGraw. Messina gets edgy and lets it out--she will defiantly take on whatever anyone cares to dish out. "Dare To Dream" gets you up and dancing as Jo Dee inspires through her lyrics to "live, love, seize the day".
The arrangements , especially the instrumentalizations, perfectly compliment Ms. Messina's firy stylings. No grand gestures outclassing her.
"Burn" is a torchy, bit of twangy treat. Indulge.
Thanks for your interest & comments--CDS
VINE VOICEon August 2, 2000
The red-headed firebrand spent two years working on her third release, but for her fans, it is well worth the wait. Burn is full of untempo, infectous, very singable songs. Some are saying it is a very good pop record...pop, country, rap, whatever Jo Dee does, she gives her all, so you know it will be the best record, no matter what genre. Some of the songs carry a common theme that over carries from I'm Alright, that attitude of "I don't have time for your games, I don't need you, I can make it on my own". "These are the Days" is a sentimental tune about "the memories you put in a box". The other day (the one I can never remember) is "Saturday Night" an ode to girls night out. "Angelene" is a set-up song, it gives some background on the young girl from "Even God Must Get the Blues" (off the I'm Alright record). "Closer", "Nothin' I Can Do", "That's the Way", and "If Not You" are just plain good songs, no two ways about it. This whole album is that way, just good, I cannot say a bad thing about Jo Dee Messina or her music. The poignant "Bring on the Rain" (with co-producer Tim McGraw) brings tears to my eyes, it is beautiful and hits close to home for me. "But tomorrow's another day, and I am not afraid, so bring on the rain"
on April 7, 2004
This is an excellent album by Jo Dee, one her fans will truly love.
Get your copy now!
Messina's 3rd album (and second co-produced by Tim McGraw) has the familar sounds that has made Jo Dee one of Nashville's most popular new-comers.
Her first single from Burn, "That's the Way", is classic Jo Dee with an upbeat soound but maintaining a country 'twang. The song was written for her and is said to be somewhat autobiographical. Fans have responded to the song and helped make "Burn" the #1 Country album.... the first week it was released! It knocked the Dixie Chick's "Fly" into second.
The next single, "Burn", is a strong ballad performance. A smoky blend of catch phrases mixed in with Jo Dee's strong voice. It is sure to be her next hit.
From there, just about any song on the album could be a hit. If you have listened to her previous Album, "I'm Alright", then you know that the songs she cuts are positioned to become singles.
Look for "Bring on the Rain" to become a hit if for no other reason than the fact that Tim McGraw sings backup for her. Although, I would've prefered a duet, Jo Dee sings with strong conviction and Tim's voice blends in.
Another song that was written for Jo Dee was "These Are the Days." Again, rumored to be somewhat autobiographical of the times between Jo Dee's 1st big hit, "Tails California, Heads Carolina" and the struggles before her "I'm Alright" album. Jo Dee was between labels and was unsure of the future. The song will make you remember your own memories of the past.
Other notable songs on this album include "Saturday Night," a great girl's night out song and "Dare to Dream" where you are convinced that you can seize the moment and dance along.
As you listen to this album and her previous ones, you keep saying to yourself.... Where does she get her material??? It's great!!! I remember Trisha Yearwood saying that Jo Dee has the best material/songs!
If you like either of her previous albums, then you will love this one.
Burn.... another solid effort for Jo Dee.
on August 10, 2000
I became a fan of Jo Dee Messina's hearing her songs on country radio. I'm not even a big fan of the genre but how can anyone not enjoy songs like I'm Alright, Lesson in Leavin', and Bye Bye. These songs are amazing. I bought Burn hoping for more of the same. I was not disappointed. Though I can't rank this as high as I'm Alright, it's a great album from one of country's brightest stars. Jo Dee's greatest appeal is her raw, emotional voice. It feels like she's singing just for me. There's passion in that voice. She is easily one of the top 5 female country artists out there. Burn also works because Jo Dee chooses songs with inspirational, uplifting lyrics. How can you not be inspired by Burn? These are the Days makes you think about not wasting your life and valueing ever moment you have. Saturday Night is the most fun song on the album. Angelene is really a sad song about the many people that head down that road. Nothing I can Do is the most country of the songs on the set. It's raw, fun, and just flat out awesome. Bring on the Rain is the best this album has to offer. How can you not be affected by this song? It will surely be my new anthem when I'm depressed. I highly recommend this album if you bought I'm Alright and if you didn't. Trust me all you country and non-country fans out there. She's the real deal!!!
VINE VOICEon August 1, 2000
Jo Dee Messina has done it again! The red-headed firebrand spent two years working on her third release, but for her fans, it is well worth the wait. Burn is full of untempo, infectous, very singable songs. Some are saying it is a very good pop record...pop, country, rap, whatever Jo Dee does, she gives her all, so you know it will be the best record, no matter what genre. Some of the songs carry a common theme that over carries from I'm Alright, that attitude of "I don't have time for your games, I don't need you, I can make it on my own". "These are the Days" is a sentimental tune about "the memories you put in a box". The other day (the one I can never remember) is "Saturday Night" an ode to girls night out. "Angelene" is a set-up song, it gives some background on the young girl from "Even God Must Get the Blues" (off the I'm Alright record). "Closer", "Nothin' I Can Do", "That's the Way", and "If Not You" are just plain good songs, no two ways about it. This whole album is that way, just good, I cannot say a bad thing about Jo Dee Messina or her music. The poignant "Bring on the Rain" (with co-producer Tim McGraw) brings tears to my eyes, it is beatiful and hits close to home for me. "But tomorrow's another day, and I am not afraid, so bring on the rain"
on May 10, 2001
At first when I bought this album last August, I was really disapointed. It was nothing like Im Alright and I just didn't like this new image. That was my problem. To enjoy this album, dont compare it to her past albums. Once I really listened to it, it soon became a favorite of mine. The album is just filled with great songs, it was well worth the wait between albums! "Downtime" is such a great song for those of us who have left a relationship, its the perfect theme to give you confidence and to make you feel good about yourself. "That's The Way" is another really positive song, about taking things in stride because everything is just a part of life. "Burn" is a great cover done by Jo Dee, originally by Tina Arena, this really shows Jo Dee's vocal ability, which is amazing. "If Not You" is a surefire hit, really catchy and fun. "These Are The Days" is a great song about not taking for granted our precious time on earth. "Saturday Night" is an ode to the gals, a surefire hit, must be a single! "Bring On The Rain" is a great surprise, a very good song with Tim McGraw singing background vocals. Overall, while Burn may not add up to Im Alright, it stands on its own as a solid record filled with some great material that people can relate to, and a whole lot of talent.
on July 1, 2003
Wow I listen to this cd and it's great I mean she put her heart and soul into this album. It's great I think anyone who love music should go get this album because I know it would be ashamed if you didn't because you don't know what you are missing. If you a Jo Dee fan it's a must have and if you are a country fan go out and buy it now it's worth buying. I love all the tracks but my favorites are 1: downtown, 1: That's the way, 3: Dare to dream, 4: Burn (first song I heard from Jo Dee) 8: Saturday Night, 9: Angelene (great message) and 11: Bring on the rain.
Bye
on November 10, 2001
I just loved this CD. I initially caught on to Jo Dee Messina's talent through her many songs that made it country radio via I'm Alright. This CD was undoubtedly a great follow up. The songs are great, and very relaxing while thought provoking. If you are a fan of country music that is catchy and just a fun time to listen to, you have found it in this CD. Not to mention she has a great voice and a great mix of songs. Angelene and Bring on the Rain are touching ballads that are thoughtful yet not upsetting. On the other hand other songs such as That's the way and Saturday Night are pleasant tunes that don't leave you hungry for more music. This is well worth your money.
on August 1, 2000
I saw Jo Dee in concert at the Clio Amphitheatre in Clio, MI on June 16, 2000 and she performed most of this album. It's gotta a real "I can do anything-get though anything" vibe which is kind of nice in this era of clueless teenyboppers. Jo Dee has such a strong voice. She belongs on the stage and personally I think she is better live than on the CD - it can't do justice to her beautiful voice. Of all the songs on here "Bring On the Rain" is my favorite. I haven't heard the album cut yet but she sang it by herself (Tim wasn't there :() and she had the entire house on their feet and in tears at the end. This is a perfect summer CD!