5.0 out of 5 stars "You Tell A Thousand Lies, Been Told A Thousand Times..."
Lyrics. One major thing I look for in good metal are lyrics. One of the things that drew me here, but I'll address that later... Many have called this album a masterpiece. I don't QUITE agree. I don't personally think it's a masterpiece. However, Machine Head's Burn My Eyes IS extremely great. It's a hair or two shy of being a mastepiece in my eyes. That is no small...
Published on April 19, 2002 by Nicholas Alla Koholick

3.0 out of 5 stars Burn my ears
I gave this band a try based on good reviews and related videos, and found it boring to listen to even one round.
It felt like I wanted to burn my ears.
I'll just stick to the european metal than this typical american metal bands like LOG, MH, etc.
Published 20 months ago by hanah

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars ... I forgot just how good this is!, January 20, 2002
This review is from: Burn My Eyes (Audio CD)
When I first bought this album, I was completely obsessed with it. I couldn't stop listening to it, and as you can see from my Feb. 2000 review, they were once my second favorite band. Then, over time, I started getting into a lot more bands, and MH got pushed to the back burner. I still came back to it now and again, but I didn't wear it out like I used to. Then, recently, I decided I'd put it in and listen to it start to finish, since I hadn't done that in a while. Wow! Now I remember why I loved this so much. It's perfect. Extremely heavy, and yet very catchy and melodic. There's a great deal of variety in the music, ranging from slow, crushing riffs to barnburning speed, and even a few ballads. The musicians all play very well (espeically the drummer, sorry you didn't make my list, man), and Robb shines all the way through. This is one of the greatest albums of all time, not just in metal, but in music itself. And, it really opened doors for me. When I bought it, it was the heaviest thing I listened to by far, and it helped me get into bands such as Slayer, Pantera, and some death metal. I can think of no reason why any metalhead wouldn't love this album. I sure wish these guys would stop making rap metal("The Burning Red" was good, but I have no interest in "Supercharger"), and make another album like this. They'll never top it, but it doesn't hurt to try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soundtrack for hating mankind, December 4, 2003
This review is from: Burn My Eyes (Audio CD)
This album is a cathartic, dynamic and aggressive masterpiece, which especially works when you are extremely pissed about... well, life in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars run, run away, July 14, 2000
This review is from: Burn My Eyes (Audio CD)
This band makes bands like Korn sound like Matchbox 20. Until I bought this album I never heard this band's heavier side. The first Machine Head album I bought was The Burning Red, I love it. Then I bought this album. I just sat there and listened in shock! Davidian, the first track, left me speechless. I don't even know what to tell you about this band. You should be kicking yourself in the ass if you haven't snagged a MH album yet! Seeing MH has 3 albums, and this is their 1st, you better get you're money saved up! You won't be able to keep yourself away from this band. MH deserves a lot of respect....

5.0 out of 5 stars The first is their best..., December 12, 1999
This review is from: Burn My Eyes (Audio CD)
Although "the More Things Change..." the first album I bought from Machine Head, this is by far their best album(with TMTC not to far behind.) This truely really a collective great songs.
From the moment Kronos starts on "Davidan" to when Flynn starts screaming "f**k it all" on "block" I was hooked. Every thing about this cd rules, the great guitars and solos, drumming, and Duce's ability to play bass are all what makes this such an excellent cd.
Even thought it was hard to find in my area, it was worth the strugle to get it, because now it ranks as one my top five favorite metal cds. Get the picture? Good. Now drop every thing you're doing right now(tell your boss you're going home sick), and go buy it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Burn my ears, November 16, 2012
hanah (los angeles) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Burn My Eyes (Audio CD)
It felt like I wanted to burn my ears.

3.0 out of 5 stars Over-praised, March 8, 2010
This review is from: Burn My Eyes (Audio CD)
Machine Head's debut is really not half as exciting as everyone makes it out to be. I will give credit where it is due and "Davidian" starts this album off perfectly, such a great song. "Old" carries on in the same vein another really good metal song. From here this album takes a nosedive into mediocrity. I find it hard to really listen to the rest of the album all in one sitting. Maybe the reason this album has received such high praise is because all the albums they released until "Through The Ashes of Empires" were all ten times worse giving this one a bit of false perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have!!!, May 18, 2001
"skulliest" (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Burn My Eyes (Audio CD)
As the title reads, this CD is a must have for anyone who digs metal. Machine Head's debut, Burn My Eyes, is a CD that never lets up.
Logan Mader's guitar on songs like 'Davidian', 'The Rage To Overcome' and 'Blood For Blood' is so sinister and groove-oriented that it makes me want to go jump up and down on the hood of a cop car!!! This guitar is LOUD!!! His riffs are inventive and the changes throughout each song couldn't be written and timed better. They're near perfect.
No one can build a song from the ground up, releasing so much emotion like Machine Head. Evidence of this are songs like 'None But My Own', 'Nation On Fire' and 'I'm Your God Now'. All three of these songs start out with slow, eerie arpeggios, building up to and finally ending in a blistering, end of the world, fire-breathing climax.
Robb Flynn's vocals and lyrics are politically and socially motivated and I don't think he could sing them with more anger and frustration. Whether its some subdued anger in the quieter sections of songs or he's screaming his anger overtop of blazing guitars, he's at eleven on a scale of ten thoughout this whole CD. Unbelievable.
The only weak point of this CD would be Chris Kontos' drumming. I'm not going to slag his ability as a drummer, because he is a very accomplished drummer (HE ROCKS!), but on some songs it would have been complimentary to the song to hear more of the double bass. On songs like 'A Nation On Fire' with it's apocalyptic finale, I would have liked to hear a constant double bass rather than the sparatic double bass that you hear. But hey, that's a minor gripe about this CD. Chris' ability should not be knocked at all.
From front to back, this CD is pure metal. Definitely worth 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive Machine Head Album.., April 24, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Burn My Eyes (Audio CD)
This Machine Head album is not only the band's best release to date but it is one of the most complete and definitive metal debuts ever. Combining numerous influences, including Pantera, into an original and brutal cauldron of pummelling beats, monsterous riffing and great solos from lead guitarist Logan Mader and vocalist/guitarist Robb Flynn, Machine Head have demanded enormous respect from fans within the metal genre. Chris Kontos proved throughout this album what a brilliant drummer he is and it is an awful shame that he departed not long after the release of Burn My Eyes, and was replaced by a good drummer in Dave Maclain, who, unfortunately has never lived up to Chris's percussive brilliance. The variation, overall sound, and use of the doublebass, is one of the elements that makes this such a great album. Robb Flynn has changed his singing quite significantly since this album but i find that his vocal delivery, songwriting skills and overall passion and conviction are at their peak during this recording while his rythm guitar work eases the pressure off Logan. Bassist Adam Duce, along with Robb Flynn, is the only original member left and though bassists are fairly underrated in metal, i feel he does a tremendous job in combining with Chris to anchor the Machine Head sound, and he also does some good background vocals.
Overall, the best songs are "Davidian", "Old", "A Thousand Lies" and "Block", howver this album refuses to let up the whole way through. Also, if your lucky you might still be able to find the digi pack version of this album which contains an excellent bonus track called "Alan's on Fire" which is a cover of an old hardcore punk band called Poison Idea.
If you are new to Machine Head i suggest buying this album first, as The More Things Change.. and the more commercially nu metal slanted The Burning Red, though they are reasonable albums, fail to come close to the perfection on this debut. Apparently from what i've read the upcoming LP Supercharger strikes a balance between this album and the Burning Red. We can only hope.
Also check out anything from Acid Bath, Skinlab, Pantera, Fear Factory and Strapping Young Lad.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best debut in METAL history, October 24, 2001
This review is from: Burn My Eyes (Audio CD)
If there's only one thing you could say about this album, it's that is is HEAVY. I mean, there is Sabbath heavy, and Metallica heavy.... but Machine Head is like a sonic wave of death. The massive grooves on this album just crush you. In other words, the production is great.
Robb Flynn sure knows how to craft a good tune, and it shows here. Every song is a metal keeper, and some of them are so bloody outstanding, you'll be humming them for days.
"Davidian" is MH's signature song, and it's obvious why from the opening drum fill. The dualing guitar work of Logan Madher and Flynn is something to behold, as the power showcased on this moshpit fest will decimate anything near it. A metal classic.
"Old", "Blood For Blood" and "Block" are also incredibly catchy, yet brutally powerful. The ending of "A Nation on Fire" does thrash better than any band that came out of the 80's. "A Thousand Lies" features clever lead work (the best solo on the album). Every other track is pure aggression and balls to the wall anger.
To end this short, this CD is pure metal all the way. From Flynn's hoarse yells to Kontos thrashing out on the drums, Machine Head crush you with modern American metal. Their following release was equally as mindblowing, be sure to check it out. Today, they have changed greatly and are not nearly as interesting as they were from 1994 - 1997. This, in my opinion, is how American metal should be done. Highest possible recommendations.

5.0 out of 5 stars ENTER MACHINE HEAD, February 1, 2004
This review is from: Burn My Eyes (Audio CD)
1994-Before new metal was born the word METAL was more then just a term used to describe any band with low tuned distorted guitars who would rap about anything from the nookie to being late for church. There was a time when metal heads were united by aggresive lyrics, guitarist who could actually play guitar and tight riffing that would define the genre. But like all good things this time is now past. With Machine Head's debut album BURN MY EYES the word masterpiece is often used to describe this album for a reason. From the first drum hit of the first song to the last note there really is no weakness anywhere. If you're a metal head trapped on a desert island this album is a must, if your not but really appreciate good song writing give this album a shot. Vocalist/guitarist ROBB FLYNN truly put his heart and soul into every song, and still remains one of the most under rated song writers in metal today.
Although it may not be the most original sounding album you'll ever hear, awsome guitar tones, strong over all production and amazing song writing put this album far beyond others of its kind. Stand out tracks for new listeners include DAVIDIAN and A NATION ON FIRE. If you're looking for an album where the guitars are loud and clear and vocals you can understand and feel, there is no better example.
In closing while many fans disagree with the direction the band has taken for most of their career, all fans agree this album is the truest document of what the word metal is and always will be. Pure attitude.

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

Burn My Eyes
Burn My Eyes by Machine Head (Audio CD - 1994)
Click for more info
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Rate and Discover Movies