5.0 out of 5 stars GUNS DON'T HELP PEOPLE, PEOPLE HELP PEOPLE
Published on July 30, 2011 by The Movie Guy

Published on May 6, 2011 by K. Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars GUNS DON'T HELP PEOPLE, PEOPLE HELP PEOPLE, July 30, 2011
What we learned from this movie is that Bruce Campbell can only play one type of character. Fortunately he does it well. You know this is going to be a comedy from the beginning when Campbell as Sam Axe is escorted by two SPs, with serious swagger music, through mis-operating gates and doors. Sam is a Navy Seal. He is not the "kill Bin Laden" type SEAL but the have sex with the admiral's wife (Chandra West) type of SEAL. This lands him on a job in Columbia dressed in camouflage garb designed to hide someone in the middle of the Atlantic.

In Columbia, while looking for terrorists, things take a twist and then another, and another. Kiele Sanchez plays a clinic doctor and was marvelous in her role. And of course what would a Bruce Campbell movie be without a chainsaw? 4 1/2 stars. Acting is not something Bruce Campbell does well, but we love to watch it anyway. The twists is what made the movie humorous.

No F-bombs, no sex, no nudity.

2.0 out of 5 stars I Love Bruce Campbell! I Love Burn Notice! This Tepid Prequel Misses Some Of The Allure Of Both, May 6, 2011
This review is from: Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe (DVD)
I watched "Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe" with a fair amount of expectation and anticipation. I have watched the "Burn Notice" series from its inception with my spouse and I think that it's fair to say that it is one of our favorite weekly programs. Add to that, I have been a tireless devotee to the brilliant Bruce Campbell for more years than I care to recognize in print (decades!). So, this made-for TV movie seemed like a can't miss proposition. And, indeed, it begins on a decidedly whimsical note as Campbell faces a military tribunal for an escapade gone wrong. With his trademark bluster, Campbell challenges authority like no one else! His character has become a fan favorite over the years due to his verbal interplay with his series's co-stars Gabrielle Anwar and, most notably, Jeffrey Donovan. Donovan directs this tepid prequel and puts in a cameo, but its just long enough to highlight what's missing from this incarnation of the Burn Notice saga.

As much as I liked the comedic stylings of the present day military sequences, one would expect a terrific, funny and larger than life episode to showcase Sam's outrageousness. In fact, the jungle exploits between a corrupt military junta and a ragtag band of rebel fighters just seems far too easy and conventional. In a set-up used in countless other films, Sam is sent as an observer to a third world nationality and discovers that all is not as it seems in their plight with rebel forces. Soon Sam is in the thick of things protecting an altruistic hospital (sweet) and its strong and dedicated American/Canadian doctors (no language barriers here!). But it is a sassy rebel orphan who really seals the deal in this film. Painfully unreal and contrived, the girl exists to personalize the story--but is just one more example of a character construct as opposed to a real person. That's right, the great Campbell's principle foil is a precocious teen--uggh!

The strength of Burn Notice, as I mentioned above, is in its verbal pyrotechnics. The characters play off one another with rapid fire dexterity, and Campbell is an integral part of that success. Here, the script lacks the savvy and the smarts necessary to make this must-see entertainment and Campbell's big persona fails to have a match in the likable, if forgettable, ensemble of the film. Another part of the series' charm comes from stylish adventure and a palpable sense of danger. Here, the action is straightforward and lacking the visual flair we'd expect from the show. And as for danger, there's never a doubt as to the outcome of this fairly generic tale. As a Campbell enthusiast, I prefer his campier film forays and as a Burn Notice fan--this only hinted at the elements which distinguish the show. I watched it, it was pleasnat enough, but I can't imagine a second viewing. If you don't watch Burn Notice, though--you're missing out. I suggest you start there! KGHarris, 4/11.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, October 21, 2013
My wife & I have liked Burn Notice since it's inception 7 years ago and were sorry to see it end. The Sam Axe character in the series was one we always enjoyed. We had mean't to view this 2 hour TV movie when it came out on USA Network, but missed it and finally got around to seeing it recently after the series ended. While it did give some insight as to how Sam "left" the service...the storyline was somewhat weak and the show was quite "campy". Not up to the usual suspense of the series. Sam's character, while portraying some of the characteristics Burn Notice viewers are familiar with, seemed to be too comical and not serious enough given the prediciment he was in. Definitely not up to par with the series. You can easily skip this, even if a fan of ther show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Burn Notice should be called the Sam Axe show., June 14, 2011
This review is from: Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe (DVD)
Burn Notice is a very good show, but if you are like me, your favorite part of the show is Sam Axe. If you like Bruce Campbell, you will like this short movie. I'll be honest, it isn't a work of art and it won't win any awards. What it will do is make you laugh and it will leave you wanting to Sam Axe getting into more trouble. If you are a true Burn Notice fan, this is a needed addition for your collection. Bruce Campbell will make you laugh and the action will keep you interested. And didn't you always want to know Sam's back-story?

3.0 out of 5 stars Extended edition?, June 14, 2011
R. Madden "Russ" (Cedar Rapids, IA USA) - See all my reviews
While this preorder gives little info. about the BD, I just received season 4 DVDs for "Burn Notice." Inside is a flier stating that this is an extended version (with some "making of" bits, too). The movie was about 88 minutes long. This is listed at 108 minutes (assuming this time does not include the included extras). Not sure how they could pad this for another 20 minutes. Perhaps, though, the "extended cut" part will influence some to buy this.

The movie itself was okay. A bit pat, but a fun time, if one's expectations aren't too high.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Comedy-Action-Adventure, July 24, 2011
This review is from: Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe (DVD)
I couldn't stop laughing. Blue camouflage in the jungles of South America? Man, oh man, that Admiral sure wanted him to get killed. Talk about a guy with and Punch and Judy problem; Sam Axe is the poster guy. I can't wait for the DVD release. I will buy it. Bruce Campbell brings years of TV acting experience to this really unique role. You gotta like the Sam Axe character to like this film though. You're not gonna see Gabrielle Anwar parading in a miniskirt, or Jeffrey Donovan in one of his many alter ego spy roles, but you will get some good Sammy time. Easy-squeezy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Play it again, Sam, February 11, 2012
This review is from: Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe (DVD)
I'm a Burn Notice fan. I expected to like this movie. I did not expect to love this movie. It was not an extra episode, it was a wonderful journey into how Sam came to Miami and a strong example of the heart we've always known him to have.
The story pre-dates Michael Westin's burn notice. He shows in the movie in the visiting context of Sam's spy friend. And that is it.
I loved that he was not prominent in this movie. It did need to be Sam's story.
It begins with Sam being escorted into a hearing for a sit rep on an incident that went down out of country. What unfolds is the iron clad character of the Navy Seal we all think of as loveable Sam. He is sent to observe a situation out of country once his commanding officer learns that Sam knows his wife. Sam didn't know she had a husband or he wouldn't have known her quite so well.
At any rate, Sam quickly discovers that things are not what they seem and rides in to do what he does so well with Michael.... he saves the day and then waits to be saved!
Beautifully done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than you might think!, August 28, 2011
I read many of the Amazon reviews before I bought this video and got the impression that this was a fair movie at best. After watching "The Fall of Sam Axe" I was (pleasantly) surprised.

This is a fun action movie without foul language, sex, or gratuitous violence. It represents the irrepressible Sam Axe as we have come to know him from "Burn Notice." It gives a little more background than we had before and I did not find it to be contrived at all.

I have bought all the "Burn Notice" seasons presently available on DVD and my sons and I are currently re-watching all of them, we love this series so much! (My sons are 17 and 23 by the way.) "The Fall of Sam Axe" was a perfect side-note to the series and I can say we wholeheartedly approve!

4.0 out of 5 stars If you're a fan, it's worth the trip..., August 5, 2012
This review is from: Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe (DVD)
I like the "Burn Notice" series and many of Bruce Campbell's other efforts. If you're a fan, this is an enjoyable romp. A good choice if you can find it on your streaming service of choice. Not sure I'd buy the DVD/Blu-ray, though it's not bad. Just not sure how many times you'd want to view this. It's basically just a fun action bit that gives BC and friends another chance to play and make a little dough. Nothing wrong with that.

4.0 out of 5 stars burn notice, December 12, 2011
J. Gregg (SW Minnesota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe (DVD)
Been a fan of Burn Notice from the beginning I thought this movie was just an other ripoff of my favorite show. Never been so wrong. This movie is so hilarious and exciting from the first seconds right to the last frame. It's been so long that I have laughed so much watching the whole thing through. Now I know what lies behind Sam Axe, and as someone pointed, it would be nice to see the beginning of Michael Western's story (he made a cameo role here) as well. I think this is one the the best movies I've seen in years. Nothing deep and meaningful, just pure fun without the serious over exaggerated exploding action. Comedy? Yes! Entertaining? Absolutely! Full of action? Right on! Compared to any other action/comedy movie: A Winner! I think The Fall Of Sam Axe is one of the most recommendable movie for anyone who likes a good old-school action comedy.

Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe
Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe by Bruce Campbell (DVD - 2011)
$9.98 $5.00