Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage R6 Siege Outdoor Deals on HTL

on July 6, 2012
Forget that this says for kids...I'm 29 and my girlfriend and I have used this product for 3 months. In fact, I spent about 7 hours in the Miami, FL sun yesterday - on the boat - and have no sunburn whatsoever. I applied this all over my body before we went out and did not reapply. Only went swimming once though (about halfway through the day) and did not towel off. Not only was I protected but I was not all pasty white - the sunscreen rubs in well - not as well as the chemical stuff but none of my friends noticed anything on my skin.

It took me a long time but I found this sunscreen was the only one on Amazon to meet my criteria:

1) Highly rated with a good number of reviews
2) Scores no higher than a 1 on the EWG Skin Deep database
3) Verified and openly NON nano zinc oxide
4) Zinc oxide as the sun-blocking agent
5) A price that I can actually afford

Now more detail:

1) My first ever experience with physical sunblock (using zinc oxide, I think it was a Neutrogena product about 3-4 years ago) as opposed to the chemical variety was not good. It hardly rubbed in at all, left me very pasty white (with little white specks all over me), and came off in a cloud in the pool. I was not eager to try it again...but I read many bad things about the chemicals in modern sunscreens and while not perfect itself, zinc oxide is the better choice. One of the reasons I love Amazon is because of the reviews - I try not to buy any products that aren't highly rated. For me, Burn Out sunscreen lives up to the solid reviews it's earned here.

2) The Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep website that ranks products based on their danger/toxicity scores this product a 1 on a scale of 0-10 (0 being the safest). I could not find any sunscreen products that scored a 0 so naturally I aimed for the next best score: 1.

3) This one is important. The first thing I found was that companies were using smaller "micronized" zinc oxide particles because they reduced the whiteness of the product and allowed it to rub in to the skin better. Obviously I don't want a sunscreen that's going to leave me looking ghostly white. However, it appears that some went too far and started having nano particles of zinc oxide. The danger is that nano zinc oxide may penetrate your skin and be absorbed into your blood stream - you don't want that to happen. Many products I checked out either did not specify the size of their zinc oxide or were dangerously close to nano size. I found this easily on Burn Out's website in the FAQs:

"There are no nanoparticles in any BurnOut products. A nanoparticle is any particle that is 100 nanometers or smaller; many products using nanoparticles use a particle size of 20-60 nm. The zinc oxide in BurnOut has a minimum particle size of 1 micron (1000 nanometers - 10x the size of the largest nanoparticle)."

As you can see, there is no danger of finding any nano particles in Burn Out Sunscreen.

4) The latest recommendation is to avoid chemical sunblock and to choose zinc oxide as the physical sunblock rather than titanium dioxide. So...zinc oxide only.

5) Some sunscreens are like $10/ounce. I just can't afford that! At $5.29 an ounce ($17.99 for 3.4 ounces) this is an expensive sunscreen but worth it, in my opinion.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2014
I loved this sunscreen - it worked well, wasn't too greasy or sticky (at least as far as natural sunscreens go) and had only a handful of ingredients that were all safe. I went to purchase more and was so excited to see that it was finally available on Amazon...that is, until I saw the list of ingredients. It's been completely reformulated with several ingredients that are considered less than safe by the EWG, which is really disappointing. I hate it when small companies start to grow and lose sight of what made their products unique and great.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2010
I've tried so many of the chemical-free sunscreens on the market including California Baby (stick and lotion), Sunny Days (stick), Ocean Potion Naturals, UV Natural Baby, Neutrogena Sensitive Skin mineral sunblock, Alba Botanica "SUN" kids mineral name the ones I can remember. I like BurnOut Kids the best for several reasons: 1) it works well even on my son's pasty-white skin 2) it's not greasy at all 3) it blends in really well and doesn't leave you looking too white. 4) And most important, it got really safe marks on the EWG (Environmental Working Group) web site. The only negative is it leaves your skin with a slightly tacky feeling, but to me it's much better than a greasy feeling.
on May 23, 2014
What are you doing BurnOut? You used to have the very best sunscreen for both children and adults. Now you have changed the formula. I am looking at the old bottle (purchased in March 2013) right now. It is a list of natural ingredients. It has worked perfectly each and every time we have used it. Now I need to waste a few more hours of my life to find another sunscreen.... I hope someone from the company reads this review and responds. I will become a loyal customer again if you change the formula back to the way it was, which was natural and effective. It looks like many other reviewers agree. Did you make these changes to save money? This is what it seems like to me, given the nature of the changes. So disappointed in you BurnOut.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 17, 2014
I am so disappointed that they changed what was a wonderful product. And, Amazon made me think it was the same by saying "You purchased this before..." The new version (with no picture on the front) goes on white and leaves your hands greasy after applying. And, it now contains Polysorbate 60 (rated 3 by EWG) and Phenoxyethanol (rated 4).
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 4, 2014
*summer 2014* i have been using this sunscreen for several years. i USED to love it and so did my kids - pleasant smell, not greasy, and most importantly - no burns. i have had skin cancer twice and it's important to me that my kids are protected - from the sun and the chemicals in the products we use. unfortunately, my kids have been coming home from camp "fried" after having never burned with this product before. i thought it was my fault and applied more liberally, but they were still getting burned. i have some old tubes from last summer (i label dates on sunscreen tubes) and compared the ingredients only to find out that they have changed their formula. BEWARE! this does not work anymore. shame on you burn out! i had recently purchased more tubes of this thinking i had gotten a bad batch and will now return them. back to ewg to spend an hour and more $ trying to find a product that works as well as the old burn out formula. too bad - why mess with something that worked so well???
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2010
We tried Burnout along with Blue Lizard and Hara after learning a bit from the Environmental Working Group's 2010 sunscreen reviews on toxicity. Burnout was the most expensive but did the best job. We were in full August sun for two weeks at the Jersey shore. No reapplication necessary from what we noticed and we never burned. Easier to apply than Hara and Blue Lizard and no smell whatsoever.
on July 13, 2013
This truly used to be the best sunscreen on the market. It was the only mineral sunscreen I'd found that was (note the word WAS) light, non-greasy, and non-white. Now it's 100% the opposite. It's thick and sticky and my kids have complained that the new formula runs into their eyes and stings. From what I can tell, if you want to seek out the old formula, it's the bottle that has the cartoon picture of a person--this one seems to always have the old formula. If you don't get the picture, you have the new formula which is sticky and awful. I truly don't know why they changed this product. The market is filled with goopy white mineral sunscreens. They had the only product which wasn't this, and now are like all the rest, and in some cases worse.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2011
This is not a holy grail sunscreen for me, but it's darn good. I've tried three versions of BurnOut. It is somewhat sticky and it takes a few minutes to spread evenly. The stickiness is worth putting up with. Be sure to use enough -- you need about 1/4 teaspoon for your face. Burnout is not as white as Badger or Loving Naturals, but it IS a bit white. Any zinc oxide sunscreen is going to be. Sometimes I mix a little gel bronzer in it to tone down the whiteness. Many days, I just put up with it. I am an outdoorsy type who is most concerned with protection.

I live in the southern US and spend time on the beach. I can assure you that, properly applied, there is NO tanning with this sunscreen. I can spend two entire days on a Gulf Coast beach and return home without a single tan line.
on June 7, 2015
We applied the sunblock twice while we were at the pool from 12-3pm. When we got home our four year old was burnt to a crisp, I guess this is why they named this brand burn out kids. I would never buy this product or recommend it to anyone.
review image review image