Published on July 6, 2012 by Jeffrey Howard

1.0 out of 5 stars It is True!!! They Changed the Formula Drastically!
Published 4 months ago by V. Schultz

5.0 out of 5 stars I did the research and this is the best sunscreen I could find (not for kids only!), July 6, 2012
Jeffrey Howard "jeffreii" (Coral Gables, Fl United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BurnOut SPF 35 KIDS Broad Spectrum, 3.4 oz. (Misc.)
Forget that this says for kids...I'm 29 and my girlfriend and I have used this product for 3 months. In fact, I spent about 7 hours in the Miami, FL sun yesterday - on the boat - and have no sunburn whatsoever. I applied this all over my body before we went out and did not reapply. Only went swimming once though (about halfway through the day) and did not towel off. Not only was I protected but I was not all pasty white - the sunscreen rubs in well - not as well as the chemical stuff but none of my friends noticed anything on my skin.

It took me a long time but I found this sunscreen was the only one on Amazon to meet my criteria:

1) Highly rated with a good number of reviews
2) Scores no higher than a 1 on the EWG Skin Deep database
3) Verified and openly NON nano zinc oxide
4) Zinc oxide only (no chemicals or titanium dioxide)
5) A price that I can actually afford

Now more detail:

1) My first ever experience with physical sunblock (using zinc oxide, I think it was a Neutrogena product about 3-4 years ago) as opposed to the chemical variety was not good. It hardly rubbed in at all, left me very pasty white (with little white specks all over me), and came off in a cloud in the pool. I was not eager to try it again...but I read many bad things about the chemicals in modern sunscreens and while not perfect itself, zinc oxide is the better choice. One of the reasons I love Amazon is because of the reviews - I try not to buy any products that aren't highly rated. For me, Burn Out sunscreen lives up to the solid reviews it's earned here.

2) The Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep website that ranks products based on their danger/toxicity scores this product a 1 on a scale of 0-10 (0 being the safest). I could not find any sunscreen products that scored a 0 so naturally I aimed for the next best score: 1.

3) This one is important. The first thing I found was that companies were using smaller "micronized" zinc oxide particles because they reduced the whiteness of the product and allowed it to rub in to the skin better. Obviously I don't want a sunscreen that's going to leave me looking ghostly white. However, it appears that some went too far and started having nano particles of zinc oxide. The danger is that nano zinc oxide may penetrate your skin and be absorbed into your blood stream - you don't want that to happen. Many products I checked out either did not specify the size of their zinc oxide or were dangerously close to nano size. I found this easily on Burn Out's website in the FAQs:

"There are no nanoparticles in any BurnOut products. A nanoparticle is any particle that is 100 nanometers or smaller; many products using nanoparticles use a particle size of 20-60 nm. The zinc oxide in BurnOut has a minimum particle size of 1 micron (1000 nanometers - 10x the size of the largest nanoparticle)."

As you can see, there is no danger of finding any nano particles in Burn Out Sunscreen.

4) The latest recommendation is to avoid chemicals and to choose zinc oxide as the physical sunblock rather than titanium dioxide. So...zinc oxide only.

5) Some sunscreens are like $10/ounce. I just can't afford that! At $5.29 an ounce ($17.99 for 3.4 ounces) this is an expensive sunscreen but worth it, in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've Tried So Many of Them!, September 4, 2010
Krista (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BurnOut SPF 35 KIDS Broad Spectrum, 3.4 oz. (Misc.)
I've tried so many of the chemical-free sunscreens on the market including California Baby (stick and lotion), Sunny Days (stick), Ocean Potion Naturals, UV Natural Baby, Neutrogena Sensitive Skin mineral sunblock, Alba Botanica "SUN" kids mineral sunscreen...to name the ones I can remember. I like BurnOut Kids the best for several reasons: 1) it works well even on my son's pasty-white skin 2) it's not greasy at all 3) it blends in really well and doesn't leave you looking too white. 4) And most important, it got really safe marks on the EWG (Environmental Working Group) web site. The only negative is it leaves your skin with a slightly tacky feeling, but to me it's much better than a greasy feeling.

1.0 out of 5 stars It is True!!! They Changed the Formula Drastically!, May 23, 2014
This review is from: BurnOut SPF 35 KIDS Broad Spectrum, 3.4 oz. (Misc.)
What are you doing BurnOut? You used to have the very best sunscreen for both children and adults. Now you have changed the formula. I am looking at the old bottle (purchased in March 2013) right now. It is a list of natural ingredients. It has worked perfectly each and every time we have used it. Now I need to waste a few more hours of my life to find another sunscreen.... I hope someone from the company reads this review and responds. I will become a loyal customer again if you change the formula back to the way it was, which was natural and effective. It looks like many other reviewers agree. Did you make these changes to save money? This is what it seems like to me, given the nature of the changes. So disappointed in you BurnOut.

1.0 out of 5 stars Changed formula is no longer non-toxic, April 7, 2014
skye (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BurnOut SPF 35 KIDS Broad Spectrum, 3.4 oz. (Misc.)
I loved this sunscreen - it worked well, wasn't too greasy or sticky (at least as far as natural sunscreens go) and had only a handful of ingredients that were all safe. I went to purchase more and was so excited to see that it was finally available on Amazon...that is, until I saw the list of ingredients. It's been completely reformulated with several ingredients that are considered less than safe by the EWG, which is really disappointing. I hate it when small companies start to grow and lose sight of what made their products unique and great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of 3 sunscreens tried, August 13, 2010
This review is from: BurnOut SPF 35 KIDS Broad Spectrum, 3.4 oz. (Misc.)
We tried Burnout along with Blue Lizard and Hara after learning a bit from the Environmental Working Group's 2010 sunscreen reviews on toxicity. Burnout was the most expensive but did the best job. We were in full August sun for two weeks at the Jersey shore. No reapplication necessary from what we noticed and we never burned. Easier to apply than Hara and Blue Lizard and no smell whatsoever.

1.0 out of 5 stars New formula is AWFUL!, April 17, 2014
K. Knox (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BurnOut SPF 35 KIDS Broad Spectrum, 3.4 oz. (Misc.)
I am so disappointed that they changed what was a wonderful product. And, Amazon made me think it was the same by saying "You purchased this before..." The new version (with no picture on the front) goes on white and leaves your hands greasy after applying. And, it now contains Polysorbate 60 (rated 3 by EWG) and Phenoxyethanol (rated 4).

4.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat sticky but extremely effective, January 26, 2011
Lynne C (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BurnOut SPF 35 KIDS Broad Spectrum, 3.4 oz. (Misc.)
This is not a holy grail sunscreen for me, but it's darn good. I've tried three versions of BurnOut. It is somewhat sticky and it takes a few minutes to spread evenly. The stickiness is worth putting up with. Be sure to use enough -- you need about 1/4 teaspoon for your face. Burnout is not as white as Badger or Loving Naturals, but it IS a bit white. Any zinc oxide sunscreen is going to be. Sometimes I mix a little gel bronzer in it to tone down the whiteness. Many days, I just put up with it. I am an outdoorsy type who is most concerned with protection.

I live in the southern US and spend time on the beach. I can assure you that, properly applied, there is NO tanning with this sunscreen. I can spend two entire days on a Gulf Coast beach and return home without a single tan line.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best and easiest I've found, January 4, 2012
This review is from: BurnOut SPF 35 KIDS Broad Spectrum, 3.4 oz. (Misc.)
This is my favorite, favorite sunscreen to use on my children. It's a runny lotion and rubs in so easily. My two-year-olds will not tolerate me rubbing in thick sunscreen all over their faces. With this, they don't struggle as much and I can rub it in fast and easy.

It can leave the slightest paleness to your skin but it really isn't bad. My kids are half Greek; my daughter is olive skinned and my son is out-right tan. They just both look a shade lighter but not white.

I also use it myself, including on my face, and love it. It has a high glycerin content so it can feel a little tacky sometimes but it doesn't last long.

I have tried so many physical sunscreens (Vanicream, Purple Prairie, Trukid Sunny Days, Trukid Sunny Days Sport, Episencial Sunny Sunscreen, Badger, Goddess Garden Baby, ThinkBaby, Kabana, Kabana Tinted, Eco Logical Body, Eco Logical Face, Eco Logical Baby, etc). BurnOut Kids is my primary choice for my children because of ease of application. I hate "sunscreen drag" and some of the aforementioned sunscreens have it. I do not want to tug and pull and push on my skin to rub something into it. I want a product to glide over my skin easily and this does just that.

I also love the Eco Logical sunscreens. I use those and BurnOut on myself, but I use only BurnOut on my kids just because it is so easy to rub into their faces while they are struggling to get away from me.

1.0 out of 5 stars FORMULA CHANGE - NOW GREASY, WHITE AND STICKY, July 13, 2013
This review is from: BurnOut SPF 35 KIDS Broad Spectrum, 3.4 oz. (Misc.)
This truly used to be the best sunscreen on the market. It was the only mineral sunscreen I'd found that was (note the word WAS) light, non-greasy, and non-white. Now it's 100% the opposite. It's thick and sticky and my kids have complained that the new formula runs into their eyes and stings. From what I can tell, if you want to seek out the old formula, it's the bottle that has the cartoon picture of a person--this one seems to always have the old formula. If you don't get the picture, you have the new formula which is sticky and awful. I truly don't know why they changed this product. The market is filled with goopy white mineral sunscreens. They had the only product which wasn't this, and now are like all the rest, and in some cases worse.

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE!!! THIS DOESN'T PROTECT YOU FROM THE SUN!, March 27, 2014
This review is from: BurnOut SPF 35 KIDS Broad Spectrum, 3.4 oz. (Misc.)
BEWARE!!! My family used this sunscreen TODAY in Costa Rica and we are ALL burnt!!! Now I know the Costa Rican sun is pretty strong, but we took great care to make sure we fully covered ourselves, and we were religious about reapplying every hour. It made no difference. We are all red, and now slathered in aloe. What a disappointment and pain (literally!). Say what you will about chemicals, at least they protect you from the sun. I am astonished at all the great reviews and don't understand how this major problem (where the product totally doesn't do the ONE thing it is made to do) is not highlighted over and over again. It's so unfortunate because the great reviews are what made me buy the product and jeopardize my family! By the way, we are NOT fair-skinned, and I pretty much NEVER burn with sunscreen. Never again!!!

BurnOut SPF 35 KIDS Broad Spectrum, 3.4 oz.
$13.99