Published 21 months ago by Jeffrey Howard

1.0 out of 5 stars FORMULA CHANGE - NOW GREASY, WHITE AND STICKY
Published 9 months ago by rsweetland

5.0 out of 5 stars I did the research and this is the best sunscreen I could find (not for kids only!), July 6, 2012
Jeffrey Howard "jeffreii" (Coral Gables, Fl United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BurnOut SPF 35 KIDS Physical Sunscreen (Misc.)
Forget that this says for kids...I'm 29 and my girlfriend and I have used this product for 3 months. In fact, I spent about 7 hours in the Miami, FL sun yesterday - on the boat - and have no sunburn whatsoever. I applied this all over my body before we went out and did not reapply. Only went swimming once though (about halfway through the day) and did not towel off. Not only was I protected but I was not all pasty white - the sunscreen rubs in well - not as well as the chemical stuff but none of my friends noticed anything on my skin.

It took me a long time but I found this sunscreen was the only one on Amazon to meet my criteria:

1) Highly rated with a good number of reviews
2) Scores no higher than a 1 on the EWG Skin Deep database
3) Verified and openly NON nano zinc oxide
4) Zinc oxide only (no chemicals or titanium dioxide)
5) A price that I can actually afford

Now more detail:

1) My first ever experience with physical sunblock (using zinc oxide, I think it was a Neutrogena product about 3-4 years ago) as opposed to the chemical variety was not good. It hardly rubbed in at all, left me very pasty white (with little white specks all over me), and came off in a cloud in the pool. I was not eager to try it again...but I read many bad things about the chemicals in modern sunscreens and while not perfect itself, zinc oxide is the better choice. One of the reasons I love Amazon is because of the reviews - I try not to buy any products that aren't highly rated. For me, Burn Out sunscreen lives up to the solid reviews it's earned here.

2) The Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep website that ranks products based on their danger/toxicity scores this product a 1 on a scale of 0-10 (0 being the safest). I could not find any sunscreen products that scored a 0 so naturally I aimed for the next best score: 1.

3) This one is important. The first thing I found was that companies were using smaller "micronized" zinc oxide particles because they reduced the whiteness of the product and allowed it to rub in to the skin better. Obviously I don't want a sunscreen that's going to leave me looking ghostly white. However, it appears that some went too far and started having nano particles of zinc oxide. The danger is that nano zinc oxide may penetrate your skin and be absorbed into your blood stream - you don't want that to happen. Many products I checked out either did not specify the size of their zinc oxide or were dangerously close to nano size. I found this easily on Burn Out's website in the FAQs:

"There are no nanoparticles in any BurnOut products. A nanoparticle is any particle that is 100 nanometers or smaller; many products using nanoparticles use a particle size of 20-60 nm. The zinc oxide in BurnOut has a minimum particle size of 1 micron (1000 nanometers - 10x the size of the largest nanoparticle)."

As you can see, there is no danger of finding any nano particles in Burn Out Sunscreen.

4) The latest recommendation is to avoid chemicals and to choose zinc oxide as the physical sunblock rather than titanium dioxide. So...zinc oxide only.

5) Some sunscreens are like $10/ounce. I just can't afford that! At $5.29 an ounce ($17.99 for 3.4 ounces) this is an expensive sunscreen but worth it, in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've Tried So Many of Them!, September 4, 2010
Krista (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BurnOut SPF 35 KIDS Physical Sunscreen (Misc.)
I've tried so many of the chemical-free sunscreens on the market including California Baby (stick and lotion), Sunny Days (stick), Ocean Potion Naturals, UV Natural Baby, Neutrogena Sensitive Skin mineral sunblock, Alba Botanica "SUN" kids mineral sunscreen...to name the ones I can remember. I like BurnOut Kids the best for several reasons: 1) it works well even on my son's pasty-white skin 2) it's not greasy at all 3) it blends in really well and doesn't leave you looking too white. 4) And most important, it got really safe marks on the EWG (Environmental Working Group) web site. The only negative is it leaves your skin with a slightly tacky feeling, but to me it's much better than a greasy feeling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat sticky but extremely effective, January 26, 2011
Lynne C (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BurnOut SPF 35 KIDS Physical Sunscreen (Misc.)
This is not a holy grail sunscreen for me, but it's darn good. I've tried three versions of BurnOut. It is somewhat sticky and it takes a few minutes to spread evenly. The stickiness is worth putting up with. Be sure to use enough -- you need about 1/4 teaspoon for your face. Burnout is not as white as Badger or Loving Naturals, but it IS a bit white. Any zinc oxide sunscreen is going to be. Sometimes I mix a little gel bronzer in it to tone down the whiteness. Many days, I just put up with it. I am an outdoorsy type who is most concerned with protection.

I live in the southern US and spend time on the beach. I can assure you that, properly applied, there is NO tanning with this sunscreen. I can spend two entire days on a Gulf Coast beach and return home without a single tan line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of 3 sunscreens tried, August 13, 2010
This review is from: BurnOut SPF 35 KIDS Physical Sunscreen (Misc.)
We tried Burnout along with Blue Lizard and Hara after learning a bit from the Environmental Working Group's 2010 sunscreen reviews on toxicity. Burnout was the most expensive but did the best job. We were in full August sun for two weeks at the Jersey shore. No reapplication necessary from what we noticed and we never burned. Easier to apply than Hara and Blue Lizard and no smell whatsoever.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best and easiest I've found, January 4, 2012
This review is from: BurnOut SPF 35 KIDS Physical Sunscreen (Misc.)
This is my favorite, favorite sunscreen to use on my children. It's a runny lotion and rubs in so easily. My two-year-olds will not tolerate me rubbing in thick sunscreen all over their faces. With this, they don't struggle as much and I can rub it in fast and easy.

It can leave the slightest paleness to your skin but it really isn't bad. My kids are half Greek; my daughter is olive skinned and my son is out-right tan. They just both look a shade lighter but not white.

I also use it myself, including on my face, and love it. It has a high glycerin content so it can feel a little tacky sometimes but it doesn't last long.

I have tried so many physical sunscreens (Vanicream, Purple Prairie, Trukid Sunny Days, Trukid Sunny Days Sport, Episencial Sunny Sunscreen, Badger, Goddess Garden Baby, ThinkBaby, Kabana, Kabana Tinted, Eco Logical Body, Eco Logical Face, Eco Logical Baby, etc). BurnOut Kids is my primary choice for my children because of ease of application. I hate "sunscreen drag" and some of the aforementioned sunscreens have it. I do not want to tug and pull and push on my skin to rub something into it. I want a product to glide over my skin easily and this does just that.

I also love the Eco Logical sunscreens. I use those and BurnOut on myself, but I use only BurnOut on my kids just because it is so easy to rub into their faces while they are struggling to get away from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Burnout is the one, July 5, 2012
This review is from: BurnOut SPF 35 KIDS Physical Sunscreen (Misc.)
I am a 23 year old male with very sensitive, red, and sometimes dry skin. It is because of my sensitive skin that I had to say "bye bye" to chemical sunscreens. Sunscreens that had chemicals, no matter how gentle they claimed to be, always left my skin red and irritated to no end. It was pretty embarassing and not fun. I use a retinoid at night (Tazorac) so my skin needed the most gentle formula available so I didn't look like a rage monster during the day or a burn victim. With Tazorac my skin is very reactive so even without sun it can be red on a bad day. I started out using Solbar Shield which was not great. It was physical, woo! It was terrible.. aww.
Solbar Shield smelled like an old elementary school eraser stuck inside a can of Pringles. It was foul. It was so drying. The lotion itself was like molding Elmer's glue onto my skin. I literally felt like I was putting past on my face... eraser-Pringle paste. It was gross. Oh, and there was a completely white face with Solbar. My co-workers looked at my like I was a ghost walking into work. "Hey there's Matt. Is he dead? Oh, he must be." PASS. Next, I moved onto what many consider the mother of Physcial sunscreens, Devita Solar Protective SPF. I wish I could have loved Devita, I wish it so. It did not smell (it smelled great actually), it was transparent, and it felt like smooth going on and after application. Devita did not work for me because no matter how I applied it (right after washing / 10 minutes after washing / lotion underneath) it left my face red, irritaed, and greasy/wet. I don't know how that is possible considering it claims to be "non-greasy" but PASS. My face was hot and inflamed, dry and tight until I washed it off at night. I still don't know which ingredient cause this but I dealt with it for a few weeks thinking the redness would go away. It didn't.
I finally gave in to thinking I'd never find the right physical SS for me so I decided to give Burnout Kids a "go" thinking it was a last resort. Holy hell, I was so relieved to find it worked like magic for my skin. Burnout smells great and is a very thin lotion compared to Solbar. It applies so very nicely. It is much smoother and less wet feeling than Devita. It is transparent after getting rubbed in and has enough goodness inside to make my skin calm and less congested. I got compliments on my skin after the second day using Burnout. The only downside to Burnout is that I do have to apply a moisturizer underneath. Most sunscreens with Zinc can be drying but of the three I listed here, Burnout is the least. As a precaution I use a moisturizer underneath but I do not look greasy or dry at days end because of it. Burnout has different formulas but I think Kids strikes the best balance for me (no oils). Burnout is a true winner for me and I look forward to using it throughout the year.

1.0 out of 5 stars FORMULA CHANGE - NOW GREASY, WHITE AND STICKY, July 13, 2013
This review is from: BurnOut SPF 35 KIDS Physical Sunscreen (Misc.)
This truly used to be the best sunscreen on the market. It was the only mineral sunscreen I'd found that was (note the word WAS) light, non-greasy, and non-white. Now it's 100% the opposite. It's thick and sticky and my kids have complained that the new formula runs into their eyes and stings. From what I can tell, if you want to seek out the old formula, it's the bottle that has the cartoon picture of a person--this one seems to always have the old formula. If you don't get the picture, you have the new formula which is sticky and awful. I truly don't know why they changed this product. The market is filled with goopy white mineral sunscreens. They had the only product which wasn't this, and now are like all the rest, and in some cases worse.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST Natural Sunscreen Yet, May 14, 2012
This review is from: BurnOut SPF 35 KIDS Physical Sunscreen (Misc.)
This sunscreen, by far, is the best I have EVER used on my son (and myself). He has exceedingly sensitive skin and through the past several summers, we have experimented with many chemical-free, sensitive sunscreens: Blue Lizard, Supergoop!, Badger, Aubrey Organics, and others. My previous favorite is Badger but I feel like I have to rub my son's skin raw to get the product applied evenly. It also leaves a film on the skin that can transfer to car seats, strollers, clothes, etc.

THIS sunscreen goes on like a dream, nice and smooth. A little goes a long way and it fully absorbs, leaving behind no residue - especially no white hue other natural, zinc-based screens can cause. Being six months pregnant, I also wanted a "safe" sunscreen. We were just in Florida for three weeks, in the sun daily. Both my son and I stayed completely burn free - not even a little pink. All in all, I cannot say enough about this product. Yes, it is on the pricey side but it is completely worth every penny as far as I am concerned. Oh, and ladies...it layers under make-up well, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best natural sunscreen we've found, April 7, 2012
This review is from: BurnOut SPF 35 KIDS Physical Sunscreen (Misc.)
All the other natural sunscreens left us and our kids looking white as ghosts. How annoying! We used to use badger, but this is better. This stuff worked very well and spread almost as well as the regular chemical filled brands. Will be buying more when this one runs out. Wish it was cheaper, but it's worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best available, December 10, 2012
This review is from: BurnOut SPF 35 KIDS Physical Sunscreen (Misc.)
I have a daughter with eczema, and I have very fair skin and am pregnant, so I am always trying out sun blocks that are relatively safe. We have tried A LOT of products of the EWG list, and I have been disappointed with most. Primarily the problem is that they are difficult to spread evenly over the skin, or they are too greasy. I was reluctant to try the BurnOut due to the cost, but it was worth the purchase. We brought it recently on our vacation, and I was amazed at how wonderful it was. First, it spreads on my daughter's skin with ease. She loves it for this reason (she is a toddler and gets irritated when I am applying the other brands). Because it absorbs so easily and well into the skin, it does not make your skin turn ghostly white like some of the alternative brands. Other than that, it is very effective at doing what it is supposed to do. I wore an alternative brand one day and while I was a white shade due to the application of the block, I still got pink underneath. However, with this brand neither of us got any color, which is precisely what we wanted. Some of the products make me nervous, because I want my fair red-headed daughter well protected. I think we have found our sun block at last; I will certainly be purchasing more.

ARRAY(0x9d9aa948)