Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on March 19, 2010
Somehow I missed it on the description, but these shelves are plastic, don't get me wrong they are acceptable as an entry level shelving, but they are not Walnut shelves.

Just thought others might benefit from knowing for sure that they aren't wood.
0Comment| 274 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 4, 2013
This is an update to my original review. The first set I got had damage to them. I sent them back and I promptly received another set. Here is my review ...

1) Shelf Material: The parts that matter are real grained wood. For example the beveled edge of the shelf at the thickest part is all real wood. I didn't expect that from the other reviews, therefore this was a big bonus to me. There are other parts that are MDF and are stained, but they are less important in the look. 5 of 5 stars.

2) Mounting Hardware: I am NOT a fan of the mounting instructions and the pieces they use to mount the shelf. The plastic mounting bracket that goes on the wall, which the shelf slips into is fine as well. Its the hardware that attaches the mounting bracket to the wall is the problem. Do yourself a favor and just buy some sheet rock mollies (what ever type is your favorite) and used those instead. You'll be glad you did. My rating the way it is out of the box is 3 of 5 stars. But it can easily be modified with your own sheet rock mollies. Otherwise this would be rated at 4 of 5 stars. If the mounting brackets were metal, I would give this 5 of 5 stars.

3) Stain and finish. The finish is smooth and in semi gloss. The stain is a true mahogany stain and the photo represents the true color. 5 of 5 stars.

4) Strength. The smallest shelf is pretty light duty. The others are fine. I was able to make them all work. 4 of 5 stars

Overall I am happy with the value.
review image
on January 14, 2015
Soooooo to start it matches my dark brown wood cabinets which are like a expresso finish. These shelves are plastic and from a distance could look like wood but on super close inspection you can tell that it's a plastic of some kind.
But I don't care I think they look wonderful in my 2nd bathroom.
review image
on January 25, 2011
The shelves look very nice themselves, but, as others have said, the mounting, although easy to do, leaves the shelves feeling unsturdy. I would certainly limit the weight on them.

On the other hand, the mounting hardware is poor at best. The fasteners that are supposed to screw into the wall are of the poorest quality. After drilling holes, three of the six actually CRUMBLED as I touched them. I wound up using my own subsitiutes to insure a stable mount.
on December 23, 2008
I have installed other photo ledges before and while they were fairly simple to hang, this system beats them all! All you have to is hang a small plastic strip on the wall (it has a level built into it). You add one nail at a time, keeping the level where it needs to be, and then you are done. There are optional anchors and screws if you need them. Then all you have to do is put the ledge on the plastic piece. The piece is made of hard plastic and has a lip for the ledge to hang on. No worries, as it is very sturdy! I use the anchors, because I tend to put several heavy picture frames on mine.

The finish is a nice and comes in several other colors. They are made of wood and laminate materials (but most photo ledges are). There is a lip on the top to help hold frames in place. The Burnes of Boston product line is a bit more expensive than other ledges, but it is worth every penny. The hanging system and detail are worth it. You can try mixing and matching the sizes if you have a large wall to put photos/displays on.
on May 30, 2010
As long as you know that they're not made of wood (although parts that don't show are), this is a nice easy-to-put-up set of picture ledges. I got mine at a big box store that has these in other styles and colors. Took me less than 5 minutes to get these up, thanks to the level being there on the plastic piece. All mounting nails and (if they're needed) anchors are included. All you need is a hammer. If you intend to put other than a picture on this ledge, I suggest weighing the pieces together keeping the total weight to less than 10 pounds. These are not shelves, only shallow ledges. I'm very happy with their appearance.
I really like these shelves. I was looking for an easy to install set and these are as easy as it gets.

The shelves are two-part. First you install a plastic bracket into the wall. Then the shelf hooks on to the bracket, completely hiding it from view. You can easily adjust the shelf several inches left and right based on how it sits on the bracket. Very handy. The bracket itself includes an integrated glass-liquid level, which is a brilliant idea, but it isn't installed tightly and as such is not particularly useful. You can use your own level or just eyeball it.

The bracket can be attached to the wall by nails or screws, both included, based on how much weight it will hold. The screws are designed to drill into wood, so if you are using it on cement walls or even drywall you may want to consider using some plastic anchors. Don't screw it in too hard or you can crack the bracket.

So four stars, because the integrated levels are not effective, and the plastic bracket itself is a bit fragile. Overall I would happily buy these again and recommend them to all my friends.
review image review image
on January 22, 2016
I thought these looked great out of the box but then the "finish" started chipping off on the top and bottom. And I mean in BIG chips. I tried gluing on the first piece, then another piece came off. Then it was just a domino affect. By the time I was done trying to fix them I had mangled them so bad I couldn't return them. What kind of finish just comes off in huge chips?? Really cheap....super disappointing. Ended up just peeling it all off and painting them. Now they look ok. But DO NOT waste you money on the walnut "finish" because you're temper will be finished when you try to handle or hang them!! CHEAP!!! NEVER AGAIN!!
on November 29, 2014
DO NOT BUY THESE SHELVES.

I bought these shelves given the general positive reviews. But when I got them, complete mistake to even try them. The level-line hangers are clever. Having the bubble level in the hanger is a good idea. But when all 3 hangers are built different, there is a problem. None of the shelves mount flush to the wall, so there was always a leaning forward of the shelves. The anchor system they incorporate is kind of clever. But when you decide to remove them to return the product, you wind up doing damage to the sheetrock and spend more time patching/repairing than mounting the actual shelves. I have started the return process on these shelves and the repair process on my wall.
on January 12, 2015
When I first got these, I hated them, because I did not find the mounting hardware that came with the shelves, and without the hardware, they can be hung, but cannot support much weight. When I found the brackets, (actually as I was about to box the shelves up to send them back) I had a DUH moment. With the brackets the shelves are fine. They are some kind of composite material, which looks like wood, unless you are holding them you can't tell the difference. I would give them five stars, but in the description they just mention the dimensions, and leave out that the shelves have a half inch lip around the perimeter, meant to keep things from falling off, but in my application, I needed all the space that they company says the shelves have.