on April 3, 2004
I just saw Haste The Day LIVE on the SolidState Tour 2004 in Michigan a couple nights ago (along with Dead Poetic, Beloved, Underoath, and Norma Jean)! They came up first; and although I didn't know a lot of the words or many of their tunes going in, I was absolutely blown away at just how good these guys are. not only musically, but ministerially as well. They were the only group of the 5 that made an open proclamation for Jesus Christ to the audience that night (though Norma Jean did have images of the crucifixion playing on the background screen while they performed). Upon getting home that night and listening to their independant EP (which thankfully they still had copies of on the tour) "That They May Know You" and "Burning Bridges"; I cannot express just how excited I am to listen to these guys' music and to have seen them live; and how on edge I am for them to put out another record (though BB was released just a coup[e months ago, if that!). These guys remind me of a Zao (more recent stuff) meets Living Sacrifice meets Project 86 combo!
I feel very blessed to have their material on my shelf! Stay safe on the tour, boys; and make another record soon so I don't have to replace my speakers from constantly cranking BB (I want to ruin them on some newer work:)!
on April 7, 2004
You know a metalcore album is good when you feel your heart beating in time with the breakdown.
And you know a good melody when you're singing along even though you don't know the words yet.
"Burning Bridges" by Haste the Day did both of those to me, all within the same song. It's that duality of intense metalcore and heartbreaking lyricism that makes this my favorite hardcore CD.
The majority of the album is fast, ferocious metalcore. They have the best recorded guitars I've heard on any standard audio CD. Their breakdowns are grabbing enough to cause a traffic accident. And their lead vocalist (four of them sing) has a throaty scream reminiscient of As I Lay Dying. It's enough to make any hardcore kid punch the floor in joy.
Yet Haste the Day doesn't limit itself to screaming and breakdowns. One of their other members sings soaring melodic
lines with the most wrenching voice. He has a resonance similar to Creed and Kutless without any of the accompanying nasality.
When you combine the searing hardcore and unabashed lyricism Haste the Day offers, the result is usually a jaw hitting the floor.
Of course, "Burning Bridges" is by no means a perfect album. Their lead vocalist doesn't have much variety in his screaming --it rarely fluctuates from a middle range. An occasional guitar dissonance or two along the lines of Norma Jean or Symphony in Peril would sharpen their songs' impact considerably. And most noticeable of the album's shortcomings is the abrupt transition in "American Love" into a lengthy clean guitar/voice duet that seems out of place.
However, for fans of hard music, this CD is a must-have. "Burning Bridges" will scorch your CD player, ears and heartstrings to a blissfully contented crisp.
on March 11, 2005
I love this. Yes the riffs are repetitive but I think thats not a problem if the riffs are just awesome (which they are). Shall we take a look-see at this?

1. Blue 42: Nice opening chord. Kinda slow at beginning then for about 25 secs starting at 50 secs duration theres a good riff. However it turns into this awesome riff for 25 secs. Then slows down a little (i mean a little). Picks up in some spots. 9/10

2. The Closest Thing to Closure: Love intro, middle, outro! PERFECT. I really like the mixture of the inhumane shouting and singing that they do. 10/10

3. American Love: Starts at a good pace then slows down for a while. But it picks up w/ a nice riff. Slows down a bit then turns more mellow. 8/10

4. Concerning the Way it Was: Stays at a good pace throughout the song. Ending riffs are cool. 9/10

5. Song of Faith: AWESOME INTRO (i think so). Slows down a little near middle. Then near end guitar comes in on G, B, E strings w/ a nice set of individual notes pretty fast. 10/10

6. Ros King: Good start and finish. However too short. 7/10

7. One Life to Live: Weak intro but picks up after a little bit. Near the end is a good riff. 8.5/10

8. The Last Goodbye: Good intro. Becomes more mellow. Picks up again later but slows down again. 7/10

9. An Honest Confession: Nice intro. Nice riff after intro. Then the intro is played again, but faster so it does sound different. Keeps the tempo up then slows down a little. 10/10

10. Substance: All in-your-face music. Consists of great riffs. Bass and guitar solos appear. Bass solo is slow while guitar is repeated a couple times. Slows down just to pick right back up for the rest of the song. 10/10

11. Breaking My Own Heart: Nice intro and following riff. Slows down but still very good. 9/10

12. Outro: Yes, the outro of the cd is indeed called outro. This is mainly instrumental. While I dont like just that... this wasnt all that bad. 8/10
on March 10, 2004
The best place to begin is with WHJE, the best radio station in Indianapolis. Basically, it is a commercial-free high school radio station with the most earnest yet least polished DJ's you'll hear anywhere. I don't know how involved they are with programming the format, but it's is incredible. I hear bands on here I'll never hear anywhere else, like Queensryche, Dream Theater, and lately a steady stream of late-stage emo and what I call monster voice music. Then they'll toss in some old Pat Benatar or CCR. It's hard to believe the students know the old stuff, but they sound sincere.
Anyway, if you're not part of Haste the Day's scene, or a current/former Carmel High School student, WHJE's the most likely place you'll hear Haste. I can't believe they were seniors a year ago. I've never been able to stomach most monster voice music, but I'm a metalhead of the old school variety and that style's one of the only ones where you'll still hear wrenching guitar solos and intense heaviness. Haste has maintained incredible stylistic integrity while still forging listenable "screamo". Their musicianship is unquestionable, even whilst acknowledging their age and geographic roots.
The core tracks from their EP include Substance and Autumn. The former is a flawless metal track that is simply amazing. I beg you to find the original recording of Substance, rather than this album's re-recording (try their website). It has changed me forever. It makes me want to smash my face against a brick wall, stage dive off my patio, mosh, flail, writhe, scream, and twist my face into a tight teeth/gums/gullet smile simultaneously. I can't describe it musically in a way that gives it justice -- heavy, passionate, blistering, melodic. I feel like a tornado shreds me then a gentle wave lays me softly on a warm beach. "Autumn" is an amazing metaphor for every moment in your life when you realize something's gone forever, you can't turn back, and you want to be starkly alone yet surrounded with every warm relationship you ever had simultaneously. Or maybe it really is just about leaves.
I don't know what to say about this album. I missed the release party at the high school Tuesday because I'm 35 with a white-collar job. I've just listened to the 5 teaser tracks here on Amazon. They're drop-dead amazing. I don't know what the hell the singer's screaming, but it moves me immensely. There is every indication they're Christian, but when the singer breaks down into normal melodic singing, you just hear committment and passion. He sings in the abstract, so I'm just lifting moods off him. Frankly, it can be about whatever they want. I just want to keep that massive, crunching, shredding, blazing riffage washing over me like a loving tsunami.
on June 20, 2004
haste the day is a awsome band, and this is a pretty good album. yes, pretty good, not awsome, great, or amazing, but pretty good.
i know this band has talent and could have made this better than it is
I have about 3 complaints about this cd but thats it
First, the guys scream is the same pitch in every single song, except for substance. it rarley goes from a medium. sometimes a medium to medium-low, but i really would have liked more vocal range in this guy which would have added to the songs.
Second, many of the songs start to get u pumped and into the song, only to quickly quiet down and throw in some emo gutiar and some singing for alot of the song. this isnt necessarily a bad thing, but its done on to many of the songs. incorporate singing and screaming would be nice, like in substance and closest thing to closer
Third, like others have said, they rehash old formulas and do what others have done before. but if it sounds good, who cares? that is a small complaint.
Anyways, i eagerly await their next realse since it will probly be better. since i gave this cd 4 stars and yet complained alot, that dosnt mean i dont like it, i DO like it, but it could have been much better. buy it and you judge it, u mostly likely will enjoy it
on March 10, 2004
It didn't take long for Haste The Day to attract attention from labels with the release of their EP "That They May Know You," and while "Burning Bridges" isn't really groundbreaking, it would fit nicely in any metalcore fan's collection.
Anyone familiar with Solidstate Records and their past releases would know that Haste The Day fits perfectly into their roster as HTD is essentially a cross of Zao and Dead Poetic with a touch of Atreyu-styled guitar work. In other words, you can expect throaty screams(think Dan Weyandt from Zao), some clean vocals, heavy breakdowns, and catchy riffs. There's nothing on this album that hasn't really been heard before, but despite that, Haste The Day execute the metalcore sound very well. Recommended for fans of the aformentioned bands. Highlight tracks include "The Closest Thing To Closure," "Substance," and "American Love." 4 stars.
on November 15, 2004
What do you get when you smash ZAO and Dead Poetic together? Haste the Day. Solid State proudly presents the debut full length "Burning Bridges" from Haste the Day. These guys have been touring like seasoned veterans, gaining fans and friends along the way, and putting Indiana on the map. This is an excellent example of the genre and portrays the more emoshinal side of metalcore. If you're a fan of ZAO, Dead Poetic, underOATH, or older Embodyment, then this is for you.
on May 26, 2004
Just when I thought there were no more metlecore bands with a Godly message I found Haste the Day. I've only heard four songs but I'm definitely buying this album now. The vocals remind me of Dan W. from Zao and the energy of Norma jean and Underoath. The singing is nice too and there's not too much of it either, metalcore shouldn't have much anyway. It's the right blend. Not too melodic, and it's not just thrash. Haste the day is amazing.
on November 3, 2004
This CD is absolutely amazing!! I can't get it out of my player! These guys are incredibly musical. If you like the growling in the music of Zao, you'll like the growling on this CD. The clean vocals are top-notch. The guitar work is wonderful. The drumming is great as well. There is a lot going on on this record, as far as layering is concerned. The CD is lyrically good, too. All who listen to this CD will be blessed!!
on May 3, 2004
This album is absolutely insane. This is the best mix of metalcore and emo/melodic punk that i have ever heard. Haste the Day blows most of its competition away with incredible riffage, heart-pounding breakdowns and the best lyrics you'll hear in ages. You won't want to put this one down- its just that good. Give it a listen and you'll know what i mean.