Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on October 13, 2015
THE BURNING IS A PARANORMAL VAMPIRE REGENCY ROMANCE WE ARE INTRODUCED TO STEPHAN AND ANN WHO ARE DRAWN TO ONE ANOTHER BY A VERY POWERFUL FORCE. STEPHAN IS A VERY DETERMINED VAMPIRE WHO IS TRYING TO ATONE FOR THE CRIMES COMMITTED AGAINST HIS PEOPLE. HE WILL LET NOTHING STOP HIM FROM ACHIEVING THAT GOAL. ANN HAS A GIFT/CURSE WHICH FORCES HER TO STAY AWAY FROM OTHER PEOPLE. SHE HAS A DEEP PSYCHIC ABILITY THAT SHOWS HER EVERYTHING ABOUT ANOTHER HUMAN BEING. ANN CAN SEE THEIR HISTORY, THOUGHTS AND DESIRES SIMPLY BY TOUCHING THEM. AT TIMES, THIS GIFT BECOME OVERWHELMING TO ANN AND SHE CAN'T CONTROL IT. ANN IS UNABLE TO LIVE A NORMAL LIFE SO SHE HIDES OUT ON HER ESTATE WITH HER BOOKS AND UNCLE AND LIVES A SOLITARY LIFE. WHEN ANN FIND STEPHAN BLEEDING IN THE CAVE, SHE TRIES TO HELP HIM. ONCE SHE TOUCHES HIM, SHE REALIZES WHAT HE IS AND KNOWS EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM.

ANN ACCEPTS WHAT STEPHAN IS AND THEY BOTH FALL IN LOVE. BUT WILL THE EVIL FORCES THEY FACE, DRIVE THEM APART OR BRING THEM CLOSER TOGETHER? WILL THEY DEFEAT THE EVIL?

I LOVE ANN AND STEPHAN TOGETHER. THEY ARE SO MUCH ALIKE WITH DIFFERENT GIFTS WHICH AT TIMES FELT LIKE A CURSE TO THEM. STEPHAN WAS FILLED WITH SUCH GUILT AND IT WAS SO HARD FOR HIM TO FORGIVE HIMSELF. HE HAD A HARD TIME BELIEVING THAT ANN LOVED HIM AND WOULD LOVE HIM FOREVER. ANN WAS A VERY STRONG WOMAN AND DID HER BEST TO LIVE HER LIFE AND NOT LET ANYONE CONTROL HER OR PUSH HER AROUND. SHE WAS VERY GOOD FOR STEPHAN. SHE FOUGHT FOR THEIR LOVE AND SURVIVAL.

I LOVED THE DIFFERENT INTAKE SUSAN SQUIRES HAD ON VAMPIRES. IT WAS QUITE REFRESHING AND SO MUCH MORE INTERESTING. SHE DRAWS YOU INTO THE STORY FROM THE VERY BEGINNING AND KEEPS YOU ON YOUR TOES THROUGHOUT THE BOOK. SHE KEEPS YOU GUESSING UNTIL THE VERY END WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT. I LOVE THE CHARACTERS AND THE STORYLINE. I THOUGHT ALL THE CHARACTERS WERE REALLY STRONG AND THE CHEMISTRY WAS THERE. IF YOU ARE FAN OF PARANORMAL OR VAMPIRES, THE BURNING IS A MUST READ FOR YOU. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO READING MORE BOOKS IN THE SERIES. IT WILL BE QUITE INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT STORY SUSAN SQUIRES COMES UP WITH NEXT.
on September 5, 2015
Title: The Burning
Author: Susan Squires
Genre: Paranormal Historical Erotic Romance
Rating: 4.5 ♥‘s

Ah, to be reacquainted with my first true love! The Burning was both a unique and a nostalgic read for me, taking me back to my teenage years where I first fell for the allure of the lone, brooding vampire. Not to mention, anyone who’s ever read Bram Stoker’s Dracula will absolutely appreciate the details the author merely alludes to – just enough – to have your mind wandering down familiar connections. Susan Squires has no problem transporting her readers to another time and place with the perfect amount of detail, authentic dialect and an exquisite vocabulary. Most importantly, she knows how to keep the plot revving up and up, so you’re constantly on the edge of your seat!

This story has a well-rounded, fully-fleshed-out cast of characters ready to be loved, hated or just felt sorry for. Truly, the main characters were a blessing. I loved Ann Van Helsing like I haven’t loved a female protagonist in a very, very long time! She was an absolute joy to spend time with, watch flourish and follow through all of her trials and victories. Stephan Sincai… what can I say? He is not your typical vampire. In fact, I found him refreshingly accepting of his immortal needs. Yet, he bears all of the hallmarks of the classic, Victorian undead we’ve come to know and love. Despite being born a vampire, rather than turned into one, the author still found a way to make him struggle with eternal damnation, guilt, humanity and the quest for atonement.

The Burning is a true Victorian era novel in the respect that it’s full of inescapable feelings of constriction, oppression, frustration, loneliness, betrayal and utter helplessness that often feels too heavy to wade through. This has always been a double-edged sword for me as a reader and reminds me of why I no longer rush out to buy this particular time-period book. On one hand I loathe the stifling negativity, yet on the other hand, it’s the very essence that gives those plot points such an impact. Regardless, the author really nailed the Victorian era down pat, especially in the lack of freedom and choices women, particularly well-bred women, had during that time. I did find the constant interruption of flashbacks quite daunting, though. One or two would’ve been understandable, but if there’s that much backstory to tell, I feel it should have its own section, so it can be read in its entirety, rather than continuously disrupting the energy of the present plot.

In short, I would highly recommend The Burning to any reader. Susan Squires seamlessly introduces a unique, paranormal element into a spot-on historical and never shies away from the graphic details, whether it’s carnal, horrific or the facts of daily life in the 1800’s, the combination offers a suspenseful, erotic romance with political fringes and the intensity of a thriller all wrapped up into one amazing story. It’s one of those rare jewels sure to stick with you long after you’ve finished reading!

♥Reviewed for My Family's Heart Book Reviews♥
on September 4, 2015
Stephan is a vampire who has lived 2000 years, his life consisting of torture, pain and agony. He finds one true love, Beatrice, who for a short time he believes loves him also, but its her first love and soon her feelings change. He vows after she leaves, to never love again and commits to a life of destroying made vampires, as they threaten the existence of his people, natural vampires.
Ann is a woman who has a power at touch, to see the past of ones life, a gift that she feel has been cursed upon her. She lives her life behind the confines of her home, never traveling out unless necessary. As she is taking a walk out on her property, she hears a scream and rushes to it, to see a man bent over another woman, literally sucking the life out of her. The man looks up at Ann and she can see his elongated canines and blood dripping from him.
While hunting made vampires, Stephan hears the scream and rushes over to it. It is when Ann and Stephans paths cross for the first time and their lives will forever change.
I have to first state this was a very well written novel and had me fully engaged from the beginning and end. I sympathized with Stephans character, very much and wished only that he could find peace. If you are looking for an engaging story filled with thrills, shrills and romance, this is definitely the one for you.
on July 30, 2011
Loved The Hunger and The Companion. This is similar to Companion I thought with the male vamp suffering from xtreme guilt and the virginal young human girl that understands. But this one overdid the flashback sex far too much. I actually skipped over parts of chapters because it was repetitive. But the storyline was pretty good like the above mentioned books. I enjoyed it but compared to the others...not as much. It is the story of Stephen though, so if you have read The Hunger, you will want to read this.
on July 2, 2008
Ann Van Helsing lives at her familial estate with her uncle Thaddeus. Ann suffers from a curse passed down from the women in her family that makes it impossible for her to touch a person or their belongings. She immediately feels everything that, that person has felt in their lives. It is overwhelming and almost maddening so she avoids almost all contact with others. Her uncle is attempting to set her up in marriage with a distant cousin who Ann despises.

Stephan Sincai is a vampire. He is on a mission to eradicate a rogue vampire named Killkenny before he succeeds in his goal to take over the English government by creating more vampires. Stephan feels responsible for Killkenny because he was created by Asharti, a woman Stephan himself created long ago, who has become evil. Stephan has become a Harrier, a killer, by the command of an Elder vampire named Rubius, because he sexually tortured Rubius' daughters. Stephan is to kill all made vampires to atone for his bad deeds. It is during his search for Killkenny that he meets Ann.

Ann helps Stephan when he is injured and in the process, she learns everything about him. Soon it is Stephan's turn to help Ann. Ann's abilities combined with Stephan's, make them a unique and amazing pair. As they explore their newfound relationship, Stephan resolves to keep Ann safe, therefore she must stay away from him, but Ann discovers that Stephan is the only man she wants.

The Burning is a highly sexual and emotionally moving story. I was fascinated by Ann and intrigued by Stephan's plight. Ann and Stephan share a beautiful love that is rife with danger and turmoil. The Burning is a dark story where Stephan and Ann find peace and acceptance in each other when neither thought they could ever have it. Stephan's sexual training made me uneasy at times, wishing things were different for him and for Ann, but over all I found The Burning to be well written, with a compelling storyline that drew me in right from the start.

Nannette
reviewed for Joyfully Reviewed
on April 28, 2008
I have to agree with a number of the reviews I read after I bought The Burning. The initial story line was a good idea, but there is no romance in reading about the main character, Stephan, being raped over and over again by the Daughters. Rape is not sexy no matter what gender is the victim. I only finished the book because I was hoping it would end better than it started. This is not romance. If you want good romance with a paranormal twist read Sherrilyn Kenyon or Christine Feehan. Those two know romance.
on April 22, 2008
I got this book as a free gift, thank goodness. I usually enjoy paranormal romance novels, but this one isn't one I favor. I have only rarely not finished a book, no matter how much the subject matter displeases me. I was hard pressed to finish this one, but was rewarded with a good final third of the story.

The story is about Stephan, a born vampire, and his quest for redemption for all his mistakes that he carries enormous guilt about. During his assignment, given him by the Elder, to kill all "made" vampires, he meets Ann Van Helsing, a seer, who can touch a person and know all there is to know about them. This sight has made her a literal recluse, in fear of losing her mind should she come in contact with society.

If the story had just been about the two main characters and their building relationship the book would have been much better. We could have learned more about Stephan through what Ann learned and his discovery of what she knew as he learned of the scope of her "sight". However, the author uses flashbacks, very graphic flashbacks, to tell us of the bizarre, sadistic training Stephan went through to be sent on the assignment.

Because of the flashbacks the first 2/3 of the book I was only able to slog through. The last 1/3 made reading the book worthwhile, as the relationship between the two main characters is developed and comes to a thrilling climax.

I usually read my books twice (or more) but not this one. I will be giving this one away.
on September 7, 2007
Though I have been rather interested in vampire romances recently, this one I found more disturbing rather than exciting. The majority of the book was not about romance but instead was graphically violent, not only in actual fight scenes, but in the vividly described S&M scenes with the three women vampires. And there is plenty of sex in the book, but instead of being a wonderful thing to be enjoyed, it's brutal and painful.

The main male character is confusing as he is supposed to be so powerful and yet he seems wishy-washy to me in too many places. He can't make a decision and can't stand up for himself. Physically strong, mentally weak.

The main female character is not much better, though I actually liked her a little more than the male lead.

All in all, I wouldn't read this again and would not read any others in the series as this author seems to have a love/hate relationship with sex and little sense of romance.
on May 30, 2007
This is the second book I've read by Susan Squires and it will be the last. There was little or no romance in the novel. I felt nauseated after I read this novel because there was an over-emphasis on S/M behaviors and less on the storyline between the main characters. If you like vampire romance, read Christine Feehan. She rocks!
on February 24, 2007
The first time I heard/saw this novel, it was through a book trailer. It seemed very good and interesting, so obviously, I bought it. When I started to read this 'novel' it was fairly good so far, until you get to the dominatrix scene of three vampire women, especially a little history of a retarded love triangle. I couldn't continue reading cause it lacked a sense of taste for being a vampire romance novel. Also, what really got to me was the amount of details this novel had, too much details is a turn off for me. So obviously in my opinion, don't even think of buying this book, it's a complete waste of time and trust me, you'll be wanting that complete waste of time of your life back.