Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Burris 200437 MTAC 1-4 x 24 Illuminated Scope (Black)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on February 22, 2015
There weren't a ton of in depth reviews when I ordered this, but I have been extremely happy with this scope. Below I'm going to outline all the points that I wanted to know at the time, but had trouble tracking down.

- This is a variable 1 to 4 power scope. The 1 power is "very nearly" a true 1 power, meaning that at one power the actual magnification/distortion is virtually nonexistent. This lets you keep both eyes open when looking through the scope at 1 power so you can replicate some of the red dot functionality which is handy for fast acquisition on close targets.

- It has a 30mm tube. I mounted mine using the Burris PEPR mount (reviewed separately) which I have been very happy with. Holds zero and puts the scope right where it needs to be.

- This scope has some fantastic eye relief for the money. If you are new to scopes, eye relief is how much "wiggle room" you have when looking through the scope before you start seeing black around the image -- i.e. if you are too close or too far away. At 1 power this scope is very forgiving and doesn't require you to be exactly at the sweet spot to get a nice clear picture.

- The picture through this scope is really quite fantastic. Clear and bright. Whatever engineering goes into the transmission and clarity of this glass, you're getting a lot of bang for your buck here. I am always pleasantly surprised as I acquire a target through this scope.

- The reticle. It seems to be love it or hate it. Yes, it is a little busy. It has a large and fat ring, with cross hairs in the center, and then the bullet drop compensator dots dropping down below the center point. I don't really mind this. At close range, shooting with both eyes open, that big fat ring (which glows red when illuminated) lets you basically put the circle on the target and pull the trigger. This is a very quick way to acquire targets. For precision shooting, e.g. from a bench rest when zoomed out to 4 power, the cross hairs give you the fine control you need. I haven't tested the bullet drops yet because I usually zero for 50/200 instead of the 100 yard zero you'd need to use the BDC.

- The reticle is etched. That means you can see it even when your battery runs out - big plus compared to most red dots.

- The instructions will give you mildot ratings for various points within the reticle. For example the outside diameter of the large ring is 9 mils. You can use this to help estimate distances. To do this, use the formula (1000 x size of object in yards) / size of object in mildots. For example, if a typical 2 yard tall person completely subtends the large ring, that puts them at about 220 yards. (Note that these ratings are for when the scope is zoomed in to max power, in this case 4 power.)

- The on/off switch is well designed. There is an "off" position between every "on" position as you increase the brightnes, so you can just turn one click to get back to the brightness you were at before.

- Sighting in was fast and easy. Positive clicks on the turrets.

OK, here are a couple of gripes - not dealbreakers for me but you might want to know:
- I am not crazy about the flat lozenge style battery used to power the scope. Seeems typical for these scopes but I would have preferred a standard AA or AAA.
- The zoom ring is very hard to turn, at least initially. It's almost impossible to turn it with one hand while staying on target. Many people, especially 3 gun shooters, seem to put expensive throw levers on their scopes to make zooming faster. I just used a hose clamp (yes, it's kind of ghetto).
- Doesn't come with scope covers. Another reviewer passed along the correct size of Butler Creek covers to get -- I followed their advice and those covers have been working well.

All in all a great scope that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone. Really a great value for the money. I hope this has helped you to make an informed decision.
on May 29, 2013
The MTAC is an amazing product for the money. The illuminated reticle is nice and bright. I could see it clearly on a bright sunny day. If you don't want to use the illumination, the reticle is still visible in plain black when off. I actually prefer the illumination off a lot of the time. The optics are super clear. 1x feels to be pretty darn close to true 1:1. I also like that there are off positions between each illumination setting. The eye relief is great!

My only gripe is that it didn't come with any kind of lens covers. I personally feel that any optics should come with some sort of lens protection. For those who are looking for Butler Creek flip open caps, here are the ones you need for this scope: 02A and 16

UPDATE:
I contacted Burris about something unrelated to this product, but I happened to mention that I wish my MTAC came with lens covers. The guy was awesome and said that he would try to dig some up and send them to me for free! I just got them yesterday. Bikini style caps that get the job done. Burris has top notch customer service! I will definitely be purchasing more Burris products in the future!
on February 3, 2014
... and I love it. I highly recommend you look through an MTAC before buying one. The reticle is somewhat large. Personally,I like it a lot. Now that we have that out of the way, let me say this scope i awesome. I waited until I got it so that I could see if I needed a reflex sight for close work. Nope. At 1 power, it is easy to acquire your target. Instead of getting the reflex sight, I ordered a 3 gun scope ring lever. Should make it easier to go from 4 power to 1 power and back. The setup is used with a AIM Sports Tactical scope mount (works great and reviewed recently here) on a PSA AR-15 with the fixed sight up front. At 4 power, the front sight is invisible, 2 power, the front sight is barely a ghost, at 1 power, it is visible (the bottom 3rd of the scope) and I have no problem at all with it. I was ready to purchase a riser but I don't need it. Sighting in was easy. The glass is crisp and clear. For the money, this scope is practical and useful. If nothing else, you should look at one at your Sporting Goods shop and see for yourself.
on March 22, 2015
I bought this for use on my 10.5" SBR and to use for a 4-day defensive rifle course about a month ago. I looked at almost every 1-4x scope on the market and created a spreadsheet for comparison. I previously tried the Vortex Viper PST but I could not get used to the reticle being so small and thin and it wasn't worth the price paid. The MTAC 1-4x24 exceeded my expectations in quality, clear glass, ruggedness, and value. I used it right out of the box in the 4-day rifle course and quickly became effective with it and passed the skills test. It survived a flight from Austin to Las Vegas in a Plano 36" All Weather Tactical case. One eye open at 1x is very easy due to the generous eye box. The CQ reticle just works for me. This scope is best for fast defensive shooting out to 200 yards. I would probably choose another scope for longer range precision bench shooting. It is a little longer and heavier than I would like so I used the Aero Precision Ultra Light mount to save weight. To me it is a very aesthetic industrial design. I'm very pleased with this scope and will probably get the 1.5-6x42 for my 6.8 SPC.
on January 14, 2013
I mounted this scope on my AR using the Burris QD mount. It was purchased with the intension of using it in 3 gun competitions. So far it has been sited in and put through some paces out to 400 yards. Product looks to be well built. Clean clear glass. I found the reticle to be a little large on the upper yardage but I knew this going in. It didn't matter much since at 300-400 I am hold over. Did not find the need to use the lighting. We will see how it does after some use. So far I am very satisfied!
on March 7, 2014
I have no qualms. It is exactly what they say it is. Great quality, crystal clear lenses, the real deal. Seems really well manufactured. I haven't torture tested it yet however, so i'm not sure about its shock resistance. I have it mounted on my Mini 14. If you purchase this scope be sure to note the magnification range. I did research and knew exactly what I was buying before I bought it, but I kind of wish I went for a higher magnification... Although this is not the scopes fault. Purchase with a clear mind, great piece of hardware.

UPDATE: Dont leave the battery in it, even if you turn it off during storage. It WILL drain the battery completely. (Ive tested this multiple times with NEW batteries.)
on April 10, 2015
If your looking for a optic that can double as a scope and a red dot this is it. I'm a LE Officer and I didn't buy this for 3 gun I bought this as a SHTF fan , pig hunting and low light coyote optic. It fits that bill well. As for the SHTF role, Burris optics are not cheaply made crap and his scope is rugged. The reticle is etched so use it as a red dot or just a dot. Both are user friendly. Some people have mentioned and have complained about fish eye a 1x. If you want perfection your going to pay 3 to 4 times as much. For the money, its the best, well warrantied optic on the market. The illumination switch is just ducky as it has off positions between all light levels. Is it light? No it isn't but with all the crap people dump on their ARs as couple more ounces are not going to be noticed unless your marching 30 miles to an engagement or your suffering from a muscular disease. One final note; from what I can see the 1x appears to be a true 1x. As a guy that doesn't 1. Buy junk (anymore) and 2. have obscene amounts of cash to blow I have to make purchases carefully. You won't go wrong with this scope.
on August 21, 2015
Excellent scope for the price. Built like a tank. Reticle is perfect for close to mid range. Illumination is bright and I love the off setting between each brightness. Optics are clear. Works well as a red dot up close and minute of bad guy or coyote at 300 yards. If you are looking for a great illuminated AR scope on a budget, look no further.
review image review image
on January 29, 2014
I know this is popular with people who shoot in 3 gun competitions, so I thought I would give it a try. I first had it on my sig 556R, but then switched it to my S&W M&P 15. The illumination feature on it is really cool, although not necessary in daylight. I like how it is automatically switched off in between every magnification. It makes it very easy and convenient to shut off.

The lens is clear and crisp, even at 4X magnification.

It is a great scope for the money.

It thus far has lived up to its' hype!
on February 7, 2014
I don't write reviews until I use the product.All the positive reviews on this scope are spot on.I was a little hesitant on this Mtac because a few people complained about the center dot being to big when shooting at distances,I did not find this to be a problem at all.One of the best features for me was capped turrets.This has great turrets with great metal caps.This is not a long distance precision scope,Al though with practice you could be pretty accurate out to 500 yards.Do not buy this if you don't need magnification and want to keep your rifle light.Nothing is perfect,You always give something up,