5.0 out of 5 stars Charge your power hungry USB devices with this little gem
I have only had this little charger for a few days but it is charging everything I have connected to it. This includes several MP3 players, all of my iPods, and a Sansa. It has charged a FiiO headphone amp. An older Jawbone Bluetooth headset and a newer LG stereo bluetooth headset.

Published on August 22, 2012 by GoodOldFriend

1.0 out of 5 stars More of a battery extender than a batter charger
I used it about a dozen times with Eneloops to charge an HTC EVO 3D, a Samsung Galaxy S III and an LG Optimus.
It doesn't charge the battery on the EVO 3D. It extends the life of a charge somewhat. It won't take a battery at 5% and charge it to 95%. Even if the phone is powered down. The most I've seen is going from 30% to 35%.
When the Eneloops drop down to...
Published 16 months ago by youcrackmeupdude

1.0 out of 5 stars More of a battery extender than a batter charger, September 21, 2013
This review is from: Burro Mobile Charger - AA-Powered, USB Power Pack - Building Better Lives in Africa (Wireless Phone Accessory)
When the Eneloops drop down to 1.2 volts, it's almost like the Burro starts to drain the phone rather than charge it. Like they didn't throw a diode into the circuit to prevent back-flow. Once the phone's battery drops down to 5%-10%, it starts to flap between charging and not charging.
The Burro was able to bring the Galaxy up 10% with fresh Eneloops, from 50% to 60%, but then it went into the same holding patter as with the EVO 3D.
It charged the Optimus all the way up from 50%, but that's an old device that came with a 700mA wall charger.
I think the problem is that the circuitry in this device isn't able to provide a full amp of output power on the USB connector, and definitely cannot cope with the full input range of 4.0 - 6.0 volts.
I haven't opened the unit up to see what components it uses, but I'm guessing it is only a buck converter, with no ability to boost the current. Which means it's only providing 4.8v when the batteries are at 1.2v. I'm also guessing the unit can't provide more than 500mA, even when set on the high output setting. At least that's what my observations lead me to believe. The batteries and the unit don't even get warm, which they should if they were providing a full amp of output.
Also, the slots are so tight I was worried about damaging my Eneloops.

Update: See my photo I uploaded. I opened up the device expecting to find a 7805 voltage regulator, but I found no voltage regulator at all. If you set the Volts to 'Hi' and Current to 'Fast', there's nothing limiting the 6v in your brand new batteries from slamming into your expensive electronics. The polyswitch will protect the AA batteries from a short circuit, but won't do anything to regulate the 6v. I laughed when I saw what the 'hi' 'lo' volts switch did. Lo simply introduces a diode. You can built a better circuit in an Altoids box. I don't recommend anyone buy this, and if you own one, don't use it. USB devices expect voltages between 4.75 - 5.25, but this charger could deliver up to 6v with fully charged batteries, and once the individual AA batteries fall below 1.2 volts, they can't provide enough voltage to charge a USB device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charge your power hungry USB devices with this little gem, August 22, 2012
GoodOldFriend (Cincinnati, OH USA) - See all my reviews

I ran a couple of USB lights from it for a while...these are the kind that one uses to illuminate their laptop's keyboard. I even ran my USB fan from it for a long time and didn't see much of a drop in the fan's speed while it was keeping me cool.

I used a few differnt brands of NiMH batteries in it, some Burro, Goal zero, and Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries. All fit with no problem although getting them back out was a little bit hard due to the spring tension. I had some older AA Energizer Rechargables that seemed to be a tiny bit too large in diameter making it all but impossible to get the top back on.

The charger is a bright green and uses 4 AA batteries. NiMH or alkaline batteries can be used but I have only used rechargables in it so far. There are two switches on the charger. One is labeled Off, LO, HI VOLTS. The other is labeled SLOW, FAST CURRENT. There aren't any directions included so I e-mailed the company. The founder replied with the following, "Also, some Apple products require the Burro phone charger to be placed temporarily in the LO volts position to initiative charging. As soon as charging begins, you may safely return the position to the HI setting for more efficient use of your battery power." I did have to play with the VOLTS switch to get some of my Apple devices to charge, as well as my HTC smartphone.

The only concerns I have with the charger, besides lack of directions, is the material from which it is made. It is a hard plastic so I wonder if it will break at some time in the future from stress or dropping. I am also concerned about the plastic being brittle if it is used in cold weather. Time will tell.

Having made the comment about the material, I want to mention that this product carries a very low price point. I guess I am trying to say that I will buy a spare or two in case one breaks.

I would also like to point out that this unit is used to charge other devices, not the batteries contained within. You will need a separate charger to juice up your rechargables before they go into the Burro Mobile Charger.

Update: I have had this little charger for over 6 months. It is still going strong and has mamaged to charge everything I have connected to it.

I read a critical review about the unit. One that says it is cheaply made in China. While it may be made in China, I am sure it is not "cheap." After all if being made in China were a sign of a cheap product, most electronics vendors would have a lot of trouble.

I have also had some interaction with the founder. He seems honorable and I believe he will stand behind the product.

3.0 out of 5 stars decent WHILE Burro not in Vampire mode, November 9, 2013
NO "stop gap" feature to prevent equilibrium between stronger charged mobile battery and weaker burro battery: burro discharging other device (Vampire mode).

An inexpensive alternative to dedicated portable USB charge packs? Yes and no. For low draw devices which are monitored for charge completion Burro is suitable. No unattended overnight charging else your mobile device could end up with a discharged battery.

I have successfully recharged to 100% a few different android mobile phones using two kinds of NiMH LSD batteries:

* Imedion, AA, 2400 mah, Low Self Discharge NiMH Rechargeable Batteries

* GP Recyko, AA, 2000 mah, Low Self Discharge NiMH Rechargeable Batteries

Burro will charge my not-flagship android phone ONCE. It has about 1.6 charges in it. However, after the ONE charge, some time into reuse of the rechargeable NiMH LSD the Burro switches to Vampire mode and sucks the charge FROM the mobile device.

* NO Short circuit protection

* Limited over-current protection

* NO power regulation

Worse still: case size. ALL of the batteries I tried (including alkaline for size comparison) were too large with 4 AAs installed

* bowing the case end nearest the switches perpendicular to the lid (see images)

* bowing the lid rails: seating the lid needlessly challenging

After much disappointment- and additional reading (NLee the Engineer amazon reviews) I purchased- and rely upon

* PowerAdd Pilot X5, 16000 mah, Portable External Battery Pack, USB + led light

The Pilot X5 is 4 times the cost of Burro but well worth it thus far. The PowerAdd battery does not have a Vampire mode.

The Burro seems more suited to power led lights or other low tech uses. There isn't much beyond a few switches and one resistor under the Burro hood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is what it says it is., March 30, 2013
This is a cheap piece of plastic with some electronics shoved in it. Absolutely no frills, and absolutely perfect that way. Exactly what I was looking for, except the color, But it is not as bright as the picture would imply.

Used with an S3. Takes a long time to charge a phone, but I expected that. It got there after an hour or so.

Apple products use non-standard "USB" chargers, so if you have one of those, this may (or may not) work. Blame Apple.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work, August 1, 2013
I read the review saying you had to mess with the settings when using apple iphone or ipod. I tried all the settings, two differnt cables, two set of batteries (sony enloop), and two different devices. It would not charge either at all. I called and emailed the company (whit@burrobrand.biz), no response. I wish it would have worked.

5.0 out of 5 stars too good to be true? UPDATE: IT's TRUE, February 12, 2013
Amazon Customer (FAYETTEVILLE, GA, United States) - See all my reviews
Maybe I also got a defective one. Doesn't charge my motorola android phone. The charging lightning bolt turns on, but the battery charge goes down not up. I am sad.

Update 3/21
I contacted Burro by email on Monday. I procrastinated so long on this that it was too late to send it back to Amazon, but Burro sent me a new one and I got it yesterday. I'm charging my phone RIGHT NOW and it's gone from 60% to 80% charge in the last 30 minutes or so.

I will order more of these for my family members, and you should order one right now as well. I mean, for 10 bucks, and customer service that can't be beat, what have you got to lose?

4.0 out of 5 stars Works for Galaxy S3, Droid X2, & HTC Droid Eris, October 29, 2012
UPDATED REVIEW - 11/8/2012

The replacement unit works great. I tested on 3 different phones: Galaxy S3, Motorola Droid X2, and HTC Droid Eris and they all were charged up to 100% after a couple of hours. Make sure you read the instructions on the box. I use these settings: Volts - High, Current - Fast.

When I posted my original review, Whit Alexander, Burro Founder responded and suggested that my unit was defective. Appreciate this type of support.

I've only tried with Eneloop and Energizer rechargeable batteries, but this should work also with regular AA batteries.

It would be nice if there's a light/indicator of some kind, but that would probably raise the price by a few bucks. Also the space for the batteries is a little bit on the tight side, you need to be careful taking out the batteries or you can pull the prongs out in the process.

ORIGINAL REVIEW

Perhaps I have a defective unit. It doesn't charge most of the times.

I tried this on 3 different phones (Motorola Droid X2, Samsung Galaxy S3, and an old HTC). It worked maybe one or two times. The rest of the times it didn't work.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not charge anything and gets very hot when turned on, October 22, 2012
I usually do not write product reviews, but this product was so bad that I felt obligated to warn other potential buyers.

After I received this charger, I opened the package to find the green plastic battery holder and nothing else. That was fine, since USB cables were not advertised as included.

I used one of my own micro-USB cables and attempted to charge my Android phone, with no success. I then tried a different cable and tested several other devices which charge via USB, including an MP3 player and another (older) cell phone. None of these devices charged. Not only did none of these devices charge, but the Burro Mobile charger got extremely hot to the touch a few seconds after inserting the batteries, and a strange smell emanated from the device. I should add that I tested several different sets of batteries, including a set of standard Energizer AAs and a set of Sanyo Eneloops. The device did not work regardless of the battery type used.

I should also add that I tried the different voltage and speed settings on the charger, and none of them changed anything. Regardless of what settings were used, the charger did not work.

Thankfully, Amazon has a great return policy, because this one is going straight back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, January 14, 2013
This device works well. I ended up buying another one. I tried it on my Droid 4 and my daughter's iphone 4s. The iphone sometimes needs to start out with the Volts switch on low for a just a moment and then I move it to High. I am using Sanyo Eneloops. It brought the iphone up to 100% from 20% in 2.5 hours with some power to spare in the eneloops. My Droid 4 may or may not make 100% depending how low it is and how many emails and texts are rolling in. It brought the Droid from completely dead up to 80% and gave me many more hours of use. It's really not important that that the phone makes 100%. It pretty well drains down my eneloops without getting hot or over-discharging them, so its doing the best that it can do to transfer all available charge to the phone and give you more use.

I recommend using rechargeable batteries if you plan on using this regularly to extend your cell phone charge. Alkalines are just not efficient nor cost effective in a high drain application like this. I guess if you just want this for the rare emergency when you might need to get some charge in your phone, then loading up with alkalines and storing it away may be fine. If your phone often runs down before you get home, go for the rechargeables. Even for occasional use, rechargeables will give better performance and pay for themselves quickly. Trust me, you will feel guilty wasting 4 alkaline batteries just to play games on the train or bus. Get an extra charging cable too so you can keep it with this device and not worry about remembering your cable from home. You can find really cheap usb charging cables here on Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy Little Gadget, June 13, 2014
Aaron Lawless "a law" (Stephenville, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this for a deployment to Afghanistan, keeping my gadgets charged when away from regular power outlets. With four fresh AA batteries, this took my Kindle Fire HD from 50% battery to 100% in about an hour, then kept it fully charged for another 18 hours. No complaints here.