Tim Burton's mind must be a very strange place. Remember, it's where if you commit suicide you have to work for social services in the afterlife (Ref: Beetlejuice). I'm a social worker, so I know what that means! Men with hands made of scissors, Jack Nicholson as Batman's foil...this is one sick puppy of a director.

So when you hear Mr. Burton is directing...
Published on October 9, 2005 by Kelly L. Norman

3.0 out of 5 stars New meaning of 'til death us do part...
If you've seen other Tim Burton movies then this one will not disappoint. It has the style the humor and the poignancy he's known for. One point -- I didn't expect, can't imagine how I didn't hear, well -- it's a musical. The first time they burst into song I sort of sat there blinking like a caution light.

Short blurb: Parent arrange wedding between poor but...
Published on September 7, 2006 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Something Borrowed, Something Blue, Something Decomposing....Eeewwww!, October 9, 2005

So when you hear Mr. Burton is directing a film based on an Eastern European folktale in which one of the heroines-the heroines, mind you---is a corpse....well, family fare is not what comes to mind.

And, although it's animated, Corpse Bride definitely is not for the younger set, 9 or so and below. These characters look creepy. The title character has a habit of losing her eye and talking to the maggot, Louie, who lives behind it. Skeletons of dogs and people walk and talk about in the "underworld".

However, like Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands, older children will find the animations amusing and fascinating; and parents will be pleased with the messages packaged in the film.

Briefly, "Corpse Bride" is an animated operetta in which Victor (voiced by Johnny Depp), son of fishmongers, is engaged to Victoria, (Emily Watson) the daughter of nobles who are now penniless. Neither know each other but meet accidentally and fall in love. When Victor stumbles over his complicated wedding vows at the rehearsal, he's humiliated by a stranger at the wedding (Richard E. Grant) and walks in the woods to practice. When he says the vows, he places the ring on a "twig" that turns out to be the finger of Emily (Helena Bonham-Carter), the Corpse Bride, who of course jumps up and happily informs him they are married. (She's very pretty, by the way, dead or not).

Much of the rest of the movie is taken up by Victor trying to figure out how to get out from the Underworld and by Emily trying to either deny he's doing that or actively convince him to stay. Gradually, however, Victor finds, to his surprise, that he is falling in love with Emily.

In the end the viewers have heard some good lessons about love, and the main characters, primarily Emily and Victor, have each been willing to sacrifice greatly for the other, out of their love for each other. The importance of wedding vows is a central theme, and Victor especially gives long thought to whom his alliances lie, given what he's promised, and to whom. And those motivated by greed, such as Richard Grant's character, mostly come out empty handed.

The comedy is brilliant. In one scene, Emily's friends in the "pub" do a number quite reminiscent of the Star Wars cantina scene, given the odd-looking musicians. I'm not sure how well the "operetta" mode works with animation; while claymation gives these characters terrific means of expression, they are still limited in their ability to emote, and musical theatre may be best left to human faces. Still, Danny Elfman's score is beautiful as always.

Leave the wee ones with the other parent next door at "March of the Penguins" or "Wallace and Gromit: Search for the Were-Rabbit", then huddle with the rest of the kids to see this wonderful film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie with great authoring, January 4, 2007
Corpse Bride was the first Blu-Ray movie I couldn't wait to see. I had it on DVD and viewed it many times and as I knew the movie inside and out, along with the issues with displaying the SD DVD on my HD TV, I was excited to be able to make a side by side comparison between the 2 releases.

Corpse Bride on Blu-Ray completely blows the other Blu-Ray movies I own out of the water in terms of authoring. The clarity of the image is astounding and the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray is made overly apparent when you can do a comparison of the 2 directly.

In the Blu-Ray release of CB you can see the texture of the puppets' faces, something certainly lacking in the DVD. You can also see in the skeleton dance scene some of the metal bits holding the puppets together. On the DVD you can see it but it is difficult or nearly impossible to tell what the shiny piece is.

As far as the movie, it's a great love story in Tim Burton's typical twisted fashion.

Definitely worth checking out as a movie but also worthy of checking out what Blu-Ray is capable of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Death suits them!, October 24, 2005
Tim Burton creates a stunning masterpiece that keeps all the parameters typical in his productions. Combining the macabre and childish elements with stop motion animation techniques, Burton gives life to a fantastic story, just as he did in 1993 with the superb Nightmare before Christmas.

The store serves the director as an excuse to build yet another visual fantasy, supported by the voices of several of his favorite actors: Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Albert Finney and Christopher Lee.

The ironic and funny style of Burton portraying death repeats itself, forming and obscure and complex world. The principal characters are no other but a dead bride, a colorful number of skeletons, some monsters and a shy and repressed young man.

The plot of The Corpse's Bride is based on a traditional Ukrainian tale about a girl murdered on her weeding day and waiting since then for her true love.

In a Victorian England village lives Victor van Dort, a melancholic young man pressed by his wealthy but uneducated family to engage to a broken but aristocrat young woman named Victoria Everglot, whose parents despise the Van Dorts but want to solve their economical problems with this convenience marriage.

During a wedding rehearsal at the Everglot's house, Victor goes out to practice his vows, and accidentally says the words on a dead bride's tomb, who has been expecting since her dead for her true love to say the words that magically will free her to be happily ever after.

From that point, Victor goes on a journey in the land of the dead with his new bride. Down there everything seems more fun and colorful that "up there", where the world of the living is, on the contrary, almost colorless, with and aesthetic close to whites and blacks, keeping the stiffness and conservative style of the Victorian Ages.

Although the title suggests otherwise, The Corpse's Bride is a sweet and sour love story with a poetic capacity very suggestive and dreamy. True to his provoking spirit, Burton bets on surprising us, letting his usual black humor to disperse over an oppressive atmosphere while the emotional theme of the film, the loss of love, is told like a musical comedy.

5.0 out of 5 stars We All End Up The Remains of the Day, January 23, 2006
This review is from: Tim Burton's Corpse Bride (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
Tim Burton once again makes us laugh at the folly of our own mortality without managing to insult us. It's lovely to imagine that when we die, there will be a pub we can relax in, and all the aches and pains we exprienced will fade. It's nice to know we'll have nothing to fear...

Corpse Bride captures all these things and more! You wouldn't think so, given the title, however it presents a complex love story, and caused me to think deeply about what life is really about. Any story that can do this, in my book, is a masterpiece.

This film also gives us a scrumptious look into the two worlds through stop-motion animation. It is fantastic! The art has come a long way since Nightmare (though I don't think it's fair to compare the two) and moves very beautifully. The ending is bitter-sweet, as is life, and it moved me to tears.

I went opening night (being the Burton groupy that I am) and there were many like me there. We cheered at the ending and gasped at the plot twists. I do have to say, however, this movie would be a little much for children. It gets very close to the edge of what we are comfortable with: The idea of a man falling for a dead woman, the dead rising up and joining us at dinner, seeing people we've lost after many years in the underworld, etc...

All in all, I thought this was brilliant. See it for yourself and you'll understand. If you're a Tim Burton fan and behold his work with great affection like I do, you'll be taken in by the first few frames of animation.

Corpse Bride is spectacular!

3.0 out of 5 stars New meaning of 'til death us do part..., September 7, 2006
This review is from: Tim Burton's Corpse Bride (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)

Short blurb: Parent arrange wedding between poor but aristocratic girl and rich but trade boy. Surprise they like each other when they finally meet. Boy is clumsy at the rehersal. Evil wedding guest of brides parents is cutting in remarks. Boy runs away and practices in the cemetery and end up marrying a corpse. Corpse bride is a nice girl who was jilted by her finance and killed. Boy tries to get to his 'living' bride. Lots of stuff happens and you can guess the end.

The animation is wonderful and filled with lots of little things in the background that just make the movie a treat for the eyes -- of course Corpse Bride is noir but that doesn't mean it doesn't have it's sight gags (the 'head' waiter in the graveyard bar). Dark and creepy with an inner beauty and strong core of love and redemption.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent on Blu-Ray, August 18, 2007
This Blu-Ray version is much better than the dvd. The clarity is SUPERB. It really doesn't do it justice to try to describe it. It's like trying to compare a steak to a hamburger. You just gotta watch it. By the way, I especially liked the behind-the-scenes making of the movie and seeing the clay puppets being put together frame by frame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks amazing, February 8, 2007
When I saw this in the theater I didn't really like the story as much some of Burton's other films but I decided to buy the Blu-ray because I had heard great things about the transfer. I can say I was not disappointed; the picture is simply amazing and I have even come to appreciate the story after watching it a few times at home.

A++ transfer and an A story; a must for any Burton fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suitable for children, August 22, 2006
This DVD has a treasured spot on my daughter's shelf (she's 5), right next to the Disney classics. Her little friends also enjoy it.

She is an average kid, not morbid or shy. She loves this movie because of the plot and the (admittedly odd) loveliness of Emily and Victoria, the two lead female characters. The skeleton characters do not seem to faze her. There is only one true villain in the film, the gold-digging cad who murdered Emily (Helena Bonham Carter). He is evil but not scary.

Corpse Bride is sweet, original and even thought-provoking for children, and I'm glad we found it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Video Quality Review Only, January 31, 2007
I had very high expectations for "Corpse Bride" on HD-DVD. I was not disappointed:

Since the stop-motion animated film was shot using high-resolution digital still cameras, there is no trace of film grain and the image detail is absolutely stunning. The beautiful lighting is captured wonderfully on this HD-DVD as are the sometimes very extreme, eye-popping colors.

"Corpse Bride" looks much better on HD-DVD than on the film print I saw.

A reference quality image! (5/5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love a Second Time Around, April 30, 2006
Tim Burtons "Corpse Bride"

I LOVE Tim Burton flicks. I've seen each and every one of his films time and time again. However, each and every time, I've been surprised with his movies. They have always been more than I expected. They entrance, they amaze and "Tim Burton's Corpse Bride" is no exception.

Based on a European folk tale, "Corpse Bride" is the story of Victor. Living in a small Victorian town in the 1800's, he is engaged to be married to a woman named Victoria whom he has never met. When he does meet Victoria, however, he realizes how much he DOES want to be married to her, that love at first sight does exist. There is only one problem: The Corpse Bride.

After fumbling with the vows during the wedding rehearsal, Victor runs to the forest and practices his vows until he gets them right; and places the ring on the outstretched hand of the Corpse Bride. She takes his practice vows for the real thing and takes Victor down to the Underworld. Emily loves Victor, the man who can love her even in death. But what will happen when Victor tries to get back to the woman he loves in the world of the living? Only death will tell....

I wasn't sure what I was expecting when I went to see "Corpse Bride" the first time. Now, I made a fatal mistake here: I went expecting the film to be like a non-musical version of one of my all time favorite Tim Burton flicks "The Nightmare Before Christmas". How wrong I was. For, while the film WAS done in stop animation, "Corpse Bride" was NOTHING like it's predecessor. I judged the film by what I saw in the previews AND I formed preconceived expectations of what I would be seeing. That's a big Tim Burton No No.

I was astonished, therefore, within the first five minutes of the film to realize that it WAS in fact a musical. It didn't have nowhere near the number of songs and huge numbers that "Nightmare" had, but it WAS a musical. If there's anything I've learnt with Tim Burton films it's this: Don't go to the theatre with preconceived notions; they will be blown into smithereens. "Corpse Bride" shattered all of them for me. The film, while certainly not as lively as "Nightmare" was beautiful, haunting, gorgeous, lyrical, and heartbreaking.

At first, I was really put off by "Corpse Bride". It wasn't what I thought it was going to be, and I was a little pissed off. Even as I left the theatre, I was still ticked at the non-splashy ending. It was only after I thought about the film for a good week that I realized that there was nothing bad about it. "Corpse Bride" may have been told in stop motion animation, but it had a deeper message than "Nightmare". It was a beautiful, lyrical film and it was only my own preconceived expectations that were getting in the way of the films enjoyment. I can't express in words how much this film moved me, after I got my expectations out of the way.

I went to see the film a second time, just to give it a fair shot. I am SO glad I did. I was blown away by how beautiful the movie was and left the theatre thinking of "Corpse Bride" again; this time in an excellent light. More profound than "A Nightmare Before Christmas", "Corpse Bride" really IS art in motion.

"Tim Burton's Corpse Bride" continues to haunt me. I may even go see it for a third time. It's the perfect movie for Halloween and makes even death look beautiful. Go see this while it's still in theatres. You won't be sorry.

Jamieson Wolf

Originally Published at

Linear Reflections: The Review Site

Tim Burton's Corpse Bride (Widescreen Edition)
$5.97 $4.39