5.0 out of 5 stars It Doesn't Take a Farmer
I'm a guy, with my hands rough, scraggly, and bleeding from hot water and strong dish soap, hand sanitizer, and six months of wintry dry air and washing baby bottles. Tried several of my wife's skin creams to no real effect.

Published on January 21, 2011 by Jersey Mike

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite greasy
Published on January 21, 2012 by Vilma O. Gallivan

5.0 out of 5 stars It Doesn't Take a Farmer, January 21, 2011

Last night I ripped open the box from Amazon and applied this not-very-greasy mixture to my sorry skin three times. This morning my hands are very very close to fully healed. Not as soft as my baby's bottom, but soft enough to not snag my tee shirt when I put it on. Stuff smells pretty good to me, too. Mild Eucalyptus like the steam room at the gym - no girly girl aroma on these manly paws.

The container is the size of a large shoe polish can. Easy to stow in a drawer or even a jeans pocket. They label this stuff "a farmer's friend." Now it's my friend, too.

Thank you, Burt, whoever you are.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works, March 8, 2011
I have 2 things nobody ever wants to have

1. Extremely dry hands.
2. Dyshidrosis - a very aggravating form of eczema.

Since switching to only pure soap like Ivory & Yardley's Oatmeal soap.
The Dyshidrosis has healed up well.
However I was still left with very scaly & hard skin.

Using the combination of a foot file & this product on my hands
has really made a huge difference.
I can actually feel soft, breathing, healthy skin on the palms of my hand.

The key in using this product is to use it in steps.
Don't apply too much too fast.

Think of it like washing & waxing your car.
The same principle applies here.
A good wash, then thin layers buffed well give the best results.

There is no water base, so first wash your hands well & let the water
absorb into your skin a bit & pat dry.
Then scoop out a tiny amount & place it into the palm.
Work it in really well all over the hands & in-between the fingers.
Then just apply a tiny bit more a second time after about 10 min.
Your skin will actually absorb the bulk of the oils & be replenished,
without that oily feeling.
You will feel the protection without it feeling unnatural.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it's greasy but at least it's not lotion., August 22, 2004
Smells good. Doesn't leave you feeling clammy like lotion does. It's a good moisturizer, but beware the grease! Oh, and don't leave it in the car - it melts all over. Save it for nighttime.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely resistant moisturizer, August 3, 2006
I just got this yesterday, and used it 3 times over two places so far. Twice on my hands, and one on my feet (yeah, I know there's a foot product out there too). The bonus of this product is that it lasts a long time and doesn't come off as easily as other moisturizers often do. This product is mosly all natural which is also a great bonus for myself since I go for more "natural" stuff when I can (incuding all soaps and stuff too).

I don't usually have extremely dry hands, but mostly dry feet and using my feet as an example so far after one application they feel a lot better and walking around the house didn't rub it all off.

There are a few negatives, which is why I rated this 4 stars. The first is the smell. The smell is a tad bit powerful somewhat. The second negative is that it can be greasy. What many may not realize is that a little of this product goes a long ways. Therefore, if you buy this, rub a bit off the top, apply it to the hands, and if need be grab some more. The surface is kinda tough, but if you break through it (push your finger in) then the softer stuff and easier to manage stuff is inside. I guess it's the bee's wax that separates it some perhaps.

Overall I recommend trying this product. It's probably not for everyone, but having tried various moisturizers, this one comes out on top for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Product on Earth, December 7, 2010
I have used a lot of products-- dozens if not hundreds. As a chronic hand washer, I have struggled to find a product that will heal my hands and make them feel good in the winter. Washing overdries my skin, big time. I chronically have had cracking and bleeding from Thanksgiving through Easter.

Burt's Bees hand salve is the best-- better than vaseline products, olay, avon, neutrogena, and the likes. Believe me, I have tried them ALL without success, and some even burn if you have an open crack that has been bleeding. If you have an open crack or super dry skin, applying this liberally gives immediate relief and helps over the next few hours until you should re-apply. While I will admit it's very oily, when you're in this much pain it doesn't matter. It also works extremely fast and washes off easily if needed. It smells good to me, some don't like the smell. It smells like it's name, a combination of a beeswax and honey or something.

After a week or so, your hands will be cleared up, silky smooth and feel great. It's also great for tattoos that look blue when they should be black (you know the old sailor tattoos, etc). Putting it on right before bed works wonders.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite greasy, January 21, 2012
I work with my hands a lot so it makes it difficult to use this product because anything I touch becomes greasy. It does not seem to get absorbed in my skin to provide a benefit except at onset of application. I hardly use this also because, although I do not intentionally get it in my eyes, it causes allergic reactions on my eyes. The only other Burt's Bees I have tried was the lip balm and I do not have complaints about that.

2.0 out of 5 stars Strong herbal odor and not that effective, March 25, 2012
My home is where hand moisturizers come to die, as most of them don't work that well on my extremely dry skin. This salve will be relegated to the heap with the Aveeno, Barielle, Neutrogena, and the like that provide me some temporary relief from scaly fingertips but aren't that effective to keep the problem from coming back. It's greasy so I used it at night, but it also seems tedious to apply because of its solid nature.

When I bought the tin, I missed seeing in the ingredients that it has lavender oil in it. The lavender combined with the rosemary smells strongly medicinal to me. I've switched to Gold Bond Ultimate Concentrated Therapy, which is unscented and is far more effective on my rough hands.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, January 3, 2005
I work in a resturaunt, so I have to wash my hands dozens of times a day. Plus I work on cars a lot as a hobby. My hands would get extremely dry and cracked, and they would even start bleeding in the winter. Burt's Bees hand salve is the only stuff I've found that completely cures my dry, cracked hands.

2.0 out of 5 stars Super greasy, January 21, 2013
I was looking for something to really help heal my extremely dry hands. This salve is greasy and does not absorb into the skin. I'm extremely disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Softest Tattoo Ever!, May 14, 2007
Now that I have your attention... I use this not only for my hands, but for my tattoo work, and other cuts, burns, abrasions, etc as they are going through the healing process. The thicker consistency creates a barrier against germs and other environmental "nasties" and lets you heal quickly and naturally. The added benefit is the softness of my skin once I am all healed up. Makes me want to keep right on using it (and I usually do)!

Burt's Bees Hand Salve, 3 Ounces