5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent preventive lip balm
I won't offer any pseudoscience on the merits of beeswax over petrolatum, but it's been my experience that the petro-based chapsticks require you to apply balm constantly. I find that with Burt's Bees, the opposite is true. So there's some anecdotal evidence for you, which is really what Amazon reviews are all about.

Some reviewers have noted that this product...
Published on December 5, 2010 by ShoresWasTaken

1.0 out of 5 stars SMELLS
seriously...this lip balm smells kinda s***ty.
i like burt's bee's other products. but this one is a mistake. i have never had honey that smelled like this.
Published 22 months ago by Simon Yung

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent preventive lip balm, December 5, 2010
This review is from: Burt's Bees Honey Lip Balm, .15-Ounce Tubes (Pack of 4) (Health and Beauty)

Some reviewers have noted that this product doesn't help with their chapped lips. I could see that as a possibility. There may be better products out there for healing damaged skin. I think of this balm as a preventive measure. I put this on before I go out, and I never get chapped lips. I have very fair skin that is prone to drying out, and I live in a cold, windy mountain town.

Because it eliminates one reason - out of countless, surely - for girls to not want to kiss me, Burt's Bees has my undying devotion.

Shores

5.0 out of 5 stars Sugar, duh-duh-duh- duh-duh duh, awww HONEY, HONEY, March 29, 2010
Pamela (Planet Earth) - See all my reviews
I'd used Burt's Bees peppermint lip balm for a few years. Here in the "heartland" you'd better not be caught without something for lips and skin in general because it's pretty windy here and the cold is beyond description. Anyway, I'd kind of grown tired of the peppermint version and, so, having recently bought the "thoroughly therapeutic" lotion which contains significant honey decided to try the honey lip balm.

Having consumed my fair share of honey, I was quite taken by the wonderful whiff of honey I detected as I uncapped the balm. I do not, ergo, agree with the preceding reviewer's description of the item's smell as one of baby powder and vaseline(?). Also, it was not long before I found it to be far more effective than the peppermint. My lips have become smooth and moist with no roughness from peeling. This makes sense to me since I know a little bit about the healing power's of honey. And, I've only used it for about 3 weeks.

Now, mind you, the winter has pretty much faded away and so it'll probably take the full brunt of next winter's scourge to give it a real testing. In the meantime, I'll continue to use it through the warm weather for therapeutic value and the great smell. Sniff-- aaaahhhhhh.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but hard to use for too long, July 22, 2010
I really enjoy Burt's Bees lip balms. The original in my opinion is the best because you can continuously use it without it becoming irritating or annoying. The Honey version has a very similar feel as the original, the obvious difference is instead of a tingly mint sensation there is a sweet, aromatic scent and taste. I originally liked this scent very much, however, with continued use it became somewhat overbearing and I was ready for a switch. Still, once every few months i'll come across this product and buy it for a change. If you don't mind a sweet scent and taste on your lips, you'll love this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Judged by Its Own Merits - Great for Sensitive Lips, December 3, 2009
It's unfortunate that earlier reviewers really wanted a re-hashing of Burt's Bee's peppermint lip balm. It isn't - it's sweet, not minty at all, and slightly grainy.

Regarding Mintiness:
The non-mint nature of it makes it perfect for cold and wind-ravaged lips, when mint would burn and irritate.

Regarding Graininess:
The slightly grainy nature is a normal effect of cocoa butter granules crystallizing over time and is actually a sign of the highly natural formulation.

I can't recommend this product enough - as far as I'm concerned, it is one of the gentlest, longest-lasting, nicest-feeling natural lip balm preparations on the market. As someone who worked at Whole Foods and similar stores for 5+ years, I have tried a LOT of natural (and so-called natural) lip balms.

1.0 out of 5 stars SMELLS, January 11, 2013
seriously...this lip balm smells kinda s***ty.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacks everything i'd expect from a lip balm, March 28, 2010
A. Goldberg (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
As I understand it, people must just get this stuff because of the marketing. My girlfriend loves the regular burt's bees lip balm, so I started using it occasionally. She kept stealing it from me, though, so I bought a 4-pack. I thought "I like honey," so I went for this one. The Honey variety tastes and smells like baby powder and vaseline, which is not pleasant. The regular Burt's Bees tastes better in my opinion (not that I eat the stuff).

I stood out in the wind and cold for an afternoon, and my lips had become chapped. The next day, I received and applied this Burt's Bees Honey Lip Balm. It didn't solve the problem. It may have kept them from getting so chapped, had I applied it first, but, despite frequent reapplications, it did not relieve the dryness nor the chapped feeling after the fact. And finally, it has no sun protection, from what I can determine. Maybe I just misunderstood what I was getting, but it tastes bad, doesn't heal chapped lips, and has no SPF. It's just, plain and simple, a balm for one's lips. Maybe it's a chick thing I don't understand. I'm sticking to carmex and chapstick after this.

A reluctant update: I feel I may have been a little too bitter originally. I still can't stand the taste of the stuff. I can't even handle smelling it on someone else nearby. But I'm sure that's just a unique reaction. Most people don't seem to feel so strongly about it. I prefer the original flavor. You might like the honey flavor. I'm willing to call off my crusade against it. It's just lip balm. I'm calm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Product - Answering Some Concerns About Burt's Bees, March 7, 2012
As a man, I don't use lip balm much because I rarely get dry lips. Only in the most severe winters do even try to use it and usually only end up buying 1 stick per year. My fiance on the other hand, suffers from severe dry/chapped lips and usually goes through several sticks a year.

She prefers Burt's Bees over traditional lip balms, but as most of us that have purchased lip balms in the past know that Burt's Bees carries a premium price vs other brands. So for the most part, she just buys the petroleum based products (whether Chapstick, Blistex, or the generics).

Expiration: My primary concern about buying this product (since Burt's Bees is natural) is the expiration date. As I mentioned before in my past reviews, buying anything with an expiration date online sometimes becomes a concern for me simply because you don't know if what you're buying is something that's been sitting in a warehouse for months (or years) after the expiration date. I am 99.% sure that Amazon has strict standards and have yet to have a "bad product" from them, so when I made my purchase, I made sure Amazon.com was the company that my item was *SOLD FROM*. Although there are other options for more buying choices, I'm still hesitant if Amazon is not the seller/shipper. Looking at the Burt's Bees balms I have received, I immediately started searching for a date and saw the stamp "3221101" on all my lip balms. So any consumer, especially me would have thought that maybe 32211 = March 22, 2011. But is this an expiration date or a manufacturered date? I started doing some investigation.

According to Burt's Bees corporate page, it is stated that there is a shelf life (due to natural ingredients) but they are unable to provide an expiration date. However, the product should be in good quality condition for 3 years past their date. Further explanation shows that the number stamp I see on my lip balms is actually a lot code that consists of the date it was manufactured and the last 2 digits being the lot code. HOWEVER, for some strange reason, Burt's Bees uses the Julian Date for the first THREE numbers, but the actual year is the normal year. So my number of 3221101 is actually:
322 Julian Date (actually November 18th in Gregorian)
11 = 2011
01 = Batch Number
So based on their explanation, my tubes were made on Nov 18, 2011 and will last until Nov 18, 2014.

Beeswax vs Petroleum: This is an ongoing debate that has advocates for each side. The effects of each are the same (helps moisturize/seal moisture) on your lips. But there are some people who refuse to use Petroleum-based lip balms (Chapstick/Blistex) on their lips due to the fact that it's made from petroleum (same stuff as gasoline comes from) and some say that can cause cancer. On the flipside, beeswax is made from bees which is natural and there are no known side effects. But since there is the danger of the honeybees declining in population, it may not be around forever and in turn, is usually more expensive than petroleum based lip balms. As I said previously, my fiance loves Burt's Bees but it can be quite pricey.

Price: Around here in Nashville, TN, Burt's Bees lip balm is over $3 per stick + tax. Compared to the .99 cent generic petroleum-based lip balms or $1.29 for a brand name like Chapstick, it's no wonder why you would reach for the $1.29 option. However because Amazon is such an awesome place to shop, they sell the regular Burt's Bees 0.15 ounce balms in a 4-pack for around $10.14. The end price per stick is roughly $2.54, so you save over 50 cents per stick. So if you're looking to save money and like Burt's Bees lip balm, just buy it from Amazon unless you can get it cheaper locally.

Hope this review helps!

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible smell and taste!, October 18, 2012
First, let me say I like honey. Flavor and smell. This doesn't register as smelling like honey to me. It smells horrible to me, and I've used the normal burt's bees lip balm for 15 years. I couldn't stand to have the smell literally right under my nose. Obviously, some people like it. I'm a guy, and I could not stand it! May try the pomegranate and if I don't like that, I'll just go back to the normal. Was just looking for a change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Lip Balm, January 7, 2014
This is my go-to lip balm. Unlike most chap stick available, it does not contain camphor, phenol, or menthol, ingredients known to dry out lips. The trade off is a lack of tingle when you apply it.

There is a honey-esque taste, though subtle. It smells a bit like baby power. It is not over powering, but certainly noticeable. The scent subsides within 15 minutes, and you are left with smooth feeling lips.

During the height of a cold, I have used this lip balm on my red, irritated nose to help sooth it. It does the trick as well as petroleum jelly, without the undesired greasy look.

I am not a Burt's Bees fanboy, but I do recommend Burt's Bees Honey Lip Balm.
I cannot attest to one particular seller or another, as I usually buy it at a retail store.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is good, but the peppermint version is better, July 14, 2013
This lip balm moisturizes my lips, but it seems so dense when I compare it to the peppermint version. This version does moisturize and is nice, but I prefer the peppermint version because it's so refreshing. If you're opposed to the peppermint in the other balm, you should definitely try this one.

Burt's Bees Honey Lip Balm, .15-Ounce Tubes (Pack of 4)
$13.16 $11.48