4.0 out of 5 stars Great product
I've been a fan of burt's bees products for years. The natural aspect is one of the stand out reasons, and also because they're reasonably priced and work well. I've had problems with acne for years, mostly cystic, and now if it's going to happen, it's usually around that 'time of the month' when my hormones are off their rocker.

This cleanser was thinner in...
Published on September 5, 2009 by A. Boston

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed.
Horrible. I was going through a minor breakout & I thought all these "natural" ingredients would definitely make my skin at it's best. WRONG. Within 3 days it Just completely gave me 4 HUGE cysts on my right cheek. Making my breakout worse than it was. Very unhappy. Expected a lot better from Burt's Bees.
Published 1 month ago by Javier Gutierrez

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, September 5, 2009

This cleanser was thinner in consistency then expected, more just liquid then a gel. But it smells amazing -- lemony -- and it has a nice lather and leaves the skin feeling great. It doesn't feel drying or like it stripped my skin bare like a lot of acne products can. Actually pretty moisturizing, as I don't feel the need to add a moisturizer like I usually would after washing my face.

I like using a combo of products with salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide. I figure why go with one when you can hit potential break outs with both? This burt's bees cleanser is in the salicylic acid family, deriving it naturally from willow bark extract. It contains 1.0% Salicylic acid.

Also contains beet extract and evening primrose extract. It does not contain sulfates, parabens,phthalates or petrochemicals(as stated on the label).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Amazing, October 20, 2011
I have had cystic acne/very oily skin for most of my adult life and been on a myriad of antibiotics, prescription/otc lotions and skin peels all of which eventually lead me back to severe breakouts.

The most effective acne solution I had come up with was Dr. Bronners Lavender and a prescription topical lotion called Duac which is clindamycin and 5% benzoyl peroxide.This still wasn't enough to stop breakouts of every size. I was also was extremely sick of bleaching out all my pillow cases, shirt collars, etc.

A close friend of mine mentioned this wash and I was an absolute skeptic. Salicylic acid had never worked well for me at all. On a whim, I bought it.

I began using this wash, along with the Dr Bronner's and in less than a week all the tiny blemishes that covered both my cheeks/jawline/neck were gone. My face is less red and much softer. The very few times I have broken out in deep painful cysts this wash got rid of them quickly and faster than the prescription lotion. I'm talking, a cyst that usually took months to heal was gone in a week. As a matter of fact, I no longer need or use the Duac. Now that I have been using this wash regularly twice a day for about 3 months now, I have had no cysts! For the first time in over a decade I no longer need to depend on prescription medication to give me the hope of clear skin. And all I have to do is wash my face.

No product is a miracle, diet, fluid intake and hormonal fluctuations can play a large part in your acne so before blaming a product there are other factors to take into account. The skin is the largest organ on the body, try listening to it. Every body is different but this wash certainly works wonders for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous -- But Use It Right!, February 10, 2014
PROS:
- Overall gentle
- Concentrated
- Fast results
- Does a good job on mild to moderate acne
- Helps tame the severity of mild to moderate cystic acne
- Great for sensitive and combination skin
- Lathers well, and lather is very creamy
- Not overly-drying (when used correctly, see Tips)
- Light, natural scent, not at all 'perfumey'
- Excellent value, the bottle lasts a long time

CONS:
- Bottle cap breaks easily
- Bottle can leak during travel
- Easy to over-dispense
- Does nothing for blackheads
- Not for everyday use when you're not breaking out

Tips for Use:
- When you're not breaking out, I'd recommended using it no more than three times a week. It's overall very gentle, but any salicylic acid product used daily can be too much for your skin.
- For treating breakouts, product is only overly-drying if you use too much of it. A little goes a long way! Dispense a tiny amount into your palm and work it into a lather.
- That said, it is an anti-acne product. It's supposed to dry a little. Combat it with a light moisturizer.
- Massage it into your skin in small, circular motions for at least 30 seconds to give the acid time to work.
- Rinse with cool water and PAT! not rub, PAT! dry

I bought this when my skin was in the midst of a mutiny. I have very sensitive, combination skin with a hyperactive cell turnover rate that makes my skin flake and clog no matter what. My acne is usually mild to moderate, but I'm prone to large, painful, infected cysts. When I bought this, I had been getting wave after wave of painful breakouts for four months with no signs of slowing. Faced with a looming first date with my Dream Guy just around the corner, I abandoned my normal Lush soap, a Benedict Arnold that had gone from Skin Savior to Breakout Baron, and agonized over what to buy instead before settling on this.

My acne started clearing up within three days. By the end of the week, what blemishes I got were no longer painful. This stuff is especially effective at sniping those tiny little whiteheads that like to form near your lips and in your eyebrows. Within a month, I noticed that my occasional cysts had downgraded from Dreadnought-class monstrosities to the moderate, manageable Schooner size. I can't say exactly when the siege broke, but I know that by three months, my skin was back to its usual mild acne status.

I wouldn't go so far as to call this a miracle product. I still get acne. The difference is that it's much, much more tepid, doesn't hurt, and clears up a lot faster. And anything that shrinks cysts is 5-star caliber in my book.

There are two really important things to note about this stuff. One is that it's very concentrated. You don't need a lot, and if you use too much, you're going to strip your skin and cause more acne. A dab'll do ya, as they say. The second is that it is a salicylic acid product. All SA formulations are going to be a little drying and somewhat irritating. Acne-prone skin does well with a good moisturizer anyway, so make sure you follow this cleanser with a schmear of moisturizer.

I also found that after my constant breakouts stopped, I couldn't use this stuff every day. It ended up causing more acne. That's also pretty normal for acid-based acne products, but no biggy. I only use this stuff once or twice a week now except when I'm breaking out.

Overall, it's fabulous. You should try it. If you hate it, you probably have a friend that will like it. Give it a whirl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really works, August 16, 2010
Amazon Customer (Sebastopol, California United States) - See all my reviews
I've always suffered from mild acne but in the past year of so it's really flared up. I've tried a butt-load of products ranging from ones sold in drug stores like neutrogena to proactive, none of which have helped. Burt's Bee's Acne Purifying cleanser didn't clear my skin 100%, but it helped a lot and what is left is not nearly as bad as it was before. It smells nice and lemon-y. I've also found that it's most effective when combined with the toner and the blemish stick. (BTW I LOVE the blemish stick). If you're on the fence, it's worth the try. They are also sold in a mini trial kit ($14 for small versions of the cleanser, toner and spot treatment) for those of you who wish to try it out before committing to a large bottle ($10).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for tweens with sensative skin, December 17, 2013
I bought this and the Burts spot treatment for me 12 1/2 year old daughter. She used Pro-Active, which a I paid $50 for about 6 weeks worth. It was mostly working, but pricey and left her face stinging sometimes and red, since it was pretty harsh. In looking for an alternative we found this Burts product. It is less harsh and proving to be just as effective. She has only used it for 3 (THREE) days along with the spot treatment and we have seen great results in a short time. When not using something to treat it, she has about 12 zits at any given time on her face. About 3-4 on her chin, 3-4 on her forhead right in between her eyes and and 4-6 zits near her hairline. On day one, all of the redness was mostly gone and the pimples had at least flattened. By day two they were much smaller and a few of them had left. Here we are day 3 and she has no redness and about 1/2 of them are completely gone. The 1/2 dozen or so that are left are small and appear to be on their way to being healed. She is very happy. I am too because of the price and spending money on something that actually works. I feel better too knowing that she woke up too this morning and said, "I feel so much better about my skin today". While in-between products her skin did not look great and she was using a little of my pro-active, some aveeno, etc. and nothing working too great and her face was ver red. I'm amazing at how fast the results are coming in.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed., July 25, 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like this, but it makes my skin terribly sticky ..., July 14, 2014
I wanted to like this, but it makes my skin terribly sticky and it broke me out within hours of using it. Really terrible product for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars I mean its good but not great, July 10, 2014
I got a moisturizer.... I mean its good but not great!! I wanted the gel cleanser because I originally ordered it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, June 3, 2014
great product! natural, acne face wash that doesn't leave skin feeling tight or dry. Gentle enough to use day and night!

5.0 out of 5 stars Burts Bees, May 29, 2014
What's not to love about this cleanser? No harsh parabens or sulfates, 99% natural, and it works! It's more liquid like than I had expected it to be, but that's not a problem. People with combination skin or sensitive skin should immediately follow up with a moisturizer to avoid dryness.

Rate and Discover Movies