Most helpful positive review
19 of 21 people found the following review helpful
Fabulous -- But Use It Right!
on February 10, 2014
- Overall gentle
- Fast results
- Does a good job on mild to moderate acne
- Helps tame the severity of mild to moderate cystic acne
- Great for sensitive and combination skin
- Lathers well, and lather is very creamy
- Not overly-drying (when used correctly, see Tips)
- Light, natural scent, not at all 'perfumey'
- Excellent value, the bottle lasts a long time
- Bottle cap breaks easily
- Bottle can leak during travel
- Easy to over-dispense
- Does nothing for blackheads
- Not for everyday use when you're not breaking out
Tips for Use:
- When you're not breaking out, I'd recommended using it no more than three times a week. It's overall very gentle, but any salicylic acid product used daily can be too much for your skin.
- For treating breakouts, product is only overly-drying if you use too much of it. A little goes a long way! Dispense a tiny amount into your palm and work it into a lather.
- That said, it is an anti-acne product. It's supposed to dry a little. Combat it with a light moisturizer.
- Massage it into your skin in small, circular motions for at least 30 seconds to give the acid time to work.
- Rinse with cool water and PAT! not rub, PAT! dry
I bought this when my skin was in the midst of a mutiny. I have very sensitive, combination skin with a hyperactive cell turnover rate that makes my skin flake and clog no matter what. My acne is usually mild to moderate, but I'm prone to large, painful, infected cysts. When I bought this, I had been getting wave after wave of painful breakouts for four months with no signs of slowing. Faced with a looming first date with my Dream Guy just around the corner, I abandoned my normal Lush soap, a Benedict Arnold that had gone from Skin Savior to Breakout Baron, and agonized over what to buy instead before settling on this.
My acne started clearing up within three days. By the end of the week, what blemishes I got were no longer painful. This stuff is especially effective at sniping those tiny little whiteheads that like to form near your lips and in your eyebrows. Within a month, I noticed that my occasional cysts had downgraded from Dreadnought-class monstrosities to the moderate, manageable Schooner size. I can't say exactly when the siege broke, but I know that by three months, my skin was back to its usual mild acne status.
I wouldn't go so far as to call this a miracle product. I still get acne. The difference is that it's much, much more tepid, doesn't hurt, and clears up a lot faster. And anything that shrinks cysts is 5-star caliber in my book.
There are two really important things to note about this stuff. One is that it's very concentrated. You don't need a lot, and if you use too much, you're going to strip your skin and cause more acne. A dab'll do ya, as they say. The second is that it is a salicylic acid product. All SA formulations are going to be a little drying and somewhat irritating. Acne-prone skin does well with a good moisturizer anyway, so make sure you follow this cleanser with a schmear of moisturizer.
I also found that after my constant breakouts stopped, I couldn't use this stuff every day. It ended up causing more acne. That's also pretty normal for acid-based acne products, but no biggy. I only use this stuff once or twice a week now except when I'm breaking out.
Overall, it's fabulous. You should try it. If you hate it, you probably have a friend that will like it. Give it a whirl.