Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon July 24, 2009
I have read both Ms. Abbott's previous Noir's, 'Die a Little' (which is my absolute favorite), and 'The Song Is You' (also very, very good). I had high hopes for this book, but was somewhat disappointed upon starting it. The first 30% of the story seemed rushed and disjointed. I didn't feel as though I was getting to know the characters, and people and places jumped around so much it was hard to keep things straight. I almost gave up on it. I'm so glad I didn't.

This story is based loosely on the real life crime tale of Winnie Ruth Judd (a.k.a. The Trunk Murderess) in the 1930's. However, don't think you can just head on over to Wikipedia, read the story of Winnie Ruth, and think you have Ms. Abbott's novel all figured out (I made this mistake, but it made the ending all the more enjoyable). Ms. Abbott has altered the actual events into a 'What would have happened if...' , and it makes for a riveting story. Marion Seeley does not meet the same fate as her real life counterpart, and some key players involved in the crime and Marion's life, have a very different ending to their stories as well.

While the beginning of this novel frustrated me, the rest more then made up for it. Overall, I absolutely recommend this. I am not a regular fan of dark novels filled with sex, drugs and murder, but Megan Abbott is one of the ONLY authors of this genre that I always keep an eye out for. While her style of writing may take a little getting used to, she has a way of pulling you right into the seedy side of a long-past era of glitz and glamour.
on June 19, 2016
Megan Abbott is one of the best contemporary mystery writers today. Not only are her books dark and suspenseful, but written as beautifully as the finest "literary" fiction. Abbott is a true standout.
on January 4, 2013
I love this author and I found this book a little subpar compared to her usual work. But it was still an enjoyable book, and really brought the history of its setting alive. The characters were a little one dimensional, but the way the story unfolded was great. And I did like the end.
on April 5, 2015
I have really enjoyed all of Megan Abbott books, except the ones about adolescents
This one was almost a thriller..I couldn't stop reading,
the characters were multi-dimensional..
Good as a stand-alone..and I was sorry when it ended..certainly a description of a long-ago era..
Great if you are just discovering Megan Abbott, already a fan, or like noir thriller.
Strongly recommened.
on June 4, 2015
This is my first Megan Abbott book, and she has impressed me! It was a fast read and I couldn't put it down! I'm not much of a cryer but I was actually crying toward the end. I highly recommend this one, worth the money!
on October 24, 2009
In the last six months I have been trying to read all of the GREAT hard-boiled/noir writers. Megan Abbott was a wonderful discovery, and her two novels "The Song is You" and "Die a Little" were both fantastic reads. Five Stars, read these two books, you will love them.

I had similar expectations for "Bury Me Deep", but found that it Bored Me Deeply. Others have stated that the first third of the book is back story; I would say that more than half of the book is back story. The narrative reads like a teenage romance novel in which a young girl breathlessly telling us about her first love.

Between the 100+ page set-up, the annoying "breathless" style, and a disappointing ending, I cannot recommend the book. Megan Abbott's previous writing was better than this book-- much, much better. Sorry Megan; your other books were gripping page-turners. In this book, I just did not like your main character Marion.
on October 14, 2013
Megan Abbott has a hypnotic, almost disturbing style that is not for everyone, but is extremely enjoyable for those who like noir. It's great to see female voices in this genre, and even though recently Abbott has moved to writing contemporary work, her noirs are terrific. Eerie, sad, scary, eloquent, unique, narcotic, and sexy....great reads. I also appreciate the information about how the author came to her subject and the background about the true story that inspired this book.
on August 5, 2009
but sometimes fiction fills the gaps that truth leaves behind.

Not just another one of those tawdry tales of victims and vice, filled with complex characters and more shades of gray than all the dark hours before dawn. A thread of lurid truth, expertly woven absolutely gives this absorbing novel its feeling of authenticity. Painstaking research and darkly poetic language make this a touching and tragic story that I simply could not put down. Megan Abbott is absolutely one of my favorite finds of the last few years and she certainly scores again with Bury Me Deep.
on September 12, 2009
Marion Seeley's husband abandons her in Phoenix, Arizona while he takes a job at a mining company in Mexico because he lost his medical license due to drug use.

Marion begins working as a secretary in a TB clinic, and is soon befriended by Louise Mercer, one of the nurses at the clinic. To supplement their income, Louise and her roommate Ginny hold gin-soaked thrill parties at their apartment for the wealthy and powerful men of the city.

Bury Me Deep is loosely based on a real-life crime that took place in October 1931. A Los Angeles stationmaster found two large abandoned steamer trunks with a dismembered body in each. The sensational case became known as "The Trunk Murderess" and the perpetrator, Winnie Ruth Judd, was convicted and sent to prison for killing her two friends in what appeared to be an open and shut case. Unfortunately, the truth was much more complicated.

Author Megan Abbott writes in a third person noir style popular during the 1930s and 40s. She successfully draws the reader deep into every scene. She handles with honesty and realism the transformation Marion undergoes as an innocent young woman looking in at a seemingly fascinating lifestyle, then becoming a major player in the degradation that overtakes her life.

This novel is as deeply unsettling as it is rich in the darkness of the times. Abbott writes with perfect pitch detailing the dark world in which the men and women lived and loved. She brings hard-boiled crime fiction to the forefront with stellar dialogue and strong characterization. It's no wonder she is often compared to noir master Raymond Chandler.

If you are a fan of the genre, you will want to read this worthy fourth Megan Abbott novel.
on June 7, 2016
While I enjoyed this book, I found it oddly distant. Perhaps it was partly all the language running around in circles to avoid just telling us Marion was having sex with Joe Lanigan, a smooth talking Phoenix 'businessman'who owns a string of pharmacies. Joe's business is never explained but it's strongly hinted that it's not all legal. Whether he's a bootlegger or drug dealer, he's not the man he portrays himself to be to Marion.

Marion is a young, beautiful newlywed whose husband is out of the country. Befriended by a woman she works with Marion is drawn into the partying life and meets Joe, which changes everything. Loosely based on a real crime dubbed the 'Suitcase Murders' where two dismembered female bodies were found in a pair of suitcases at the Los Angeles train station.

I never felt any connection with any of the characters. Where I should have felt empathy or even sympathy for Marion I felt nothing but an interest in finding out what happened to her, but not really caring.