From the Author
When a command card doesn't provide enough information, and a small camera guide has too much padding, pull this Compact Field Guide for your Sony Alpha SLT out of your camera bag and get the advice and recommendations you need quickly.
I don't believe you can have too much of a good thing, but readers who have been using my 400-page in-depth guides (individually tailored for each of these cameras) to master their Sony Alpha SLT have asked me to distill the most essential information into a portable field guide for on-the-go reference. In the approximately 150 pages of this lay-flat, spiral-bound book, you'll find in-depth descriptions of every control, menu option, and capability of the SLT-A55, SLT-A35, and SLT-A33. Each choice is accompanied by my recommendations and a description of when you should or should not use a particular setting. There are six no-nonsense chapters:
- Quick Setup Guide. You -- or someone you loan your SLT camera to -- can set up the key exposure, autofocus, and other settings in minutes with the step-by-step instructions in this chapter.
- Streetsmart Sony Alpha Roadmap. Can't recall what a particular button or dial does, or don't remember how to access bracketing or another feature you seldom use? This chapter has photos of every control and a description of how to use it.
- Menu Settings. Command cards and cheat sheets provide a menu listing and a recap of each of the menu options. This chapter explains how to use them, too.
- Using Flash. Reference guide to working with the Sony Alpha's internal flash, and Sony's external units.
- Shooting Movies. I've managed to squeeze in instructions on using the Alpha's advanced movie-making capabilities, along with tips on shooting better movies in the field.
- Shooting Tips. Pages and pages of tables listing settings recommendations for a variety of situations, such as stage performances, long exposures, landscapes, and portraits.