Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

VINE VOICEon September 25, 2011
Ha! I finally came up with an omission in Busch's T3i guide. There's not ONE mention of the type of rubber used in the AV connector cover!

Other than that, I don't think Busch has missed anything.

The book's well written, well organized and should answer most any question you have on the T3i.

But you know what I like best? Busch loves the T3i as much as I (and the vast majority of T3i owners) do.

You might expect a professional photographer to talk down to you a little bit ("Well, since you've chosen to get an entry level DSLR, we'll have to look past its weaknesses....").

Busch, however, is someone who loves this camera, embraces it, and clearly conveys his vast knowledge about it to you.

You get the feeling you have an expert in the room with you explaining things and answering any questions you may have. He walks you through getting oriented to the camera, then putting it to effective use, taking advantages of the MANY excellent features the T3i offers.

Whether you're new to the T3i, or someone who wants to better understand its in-depth features, this is a great book!
0Comment45 of 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 30, 2011
There is so much I can say concerning this guide, this will be very short...

I'm fairly new to SLR photography, I had been mostly a video camera person. So decided to jump into photo's & video. I did not want to read a guide on general EOS SLR how to.... I wanted information directly concerning my camera. This was a great choice of the breakdown of every part of camera & what it's use for each function... because there is a lot of buttons on this camera. The camera's manual was ok, but I needed more in depth information on this. It will take a long time to read all this... I started past the basics, because I already had some knowledge of camera funtions.

David Busch's guide is very in depth, yet understandable. Great for beginners & Pro's. There is a great history on his life as a photographer, in which is all at the beginning... very interesting to read. I have had this book a while, and it has help me become an even better photographer learning dof, exposures, lighting, menu functions, etc.

I highly recommend this... A MUST HAVE ).
on March 13, 2013
Let me preface this by saying I'm new to DSLR and so have purchased and read about a dozen books in the pursuit of learning the fundamentals of photography and teaching myself how to use my new camera, a Canon Rebel T3i. Some of the books--like this, David Busch's Canon EOS Rebel T3i/600D--are camera-specific (since--let's face it--the manufacturer product manual that comes with the camera is all too dense, rather light on anything resembling the how or why, and generally just assumes you've already mastered the lexicon of photography), others focus on the fundamentals of photography, and a few are really just collections of tips and recipes for producing specific kinds of shots (i.e., the how, but now why).

I highly recommend this book if you really want to learn the ins and outs of the T3i. It's comprehensive, covers every topic related to the T3i that you can imagine, and really just a wonderful resource. I also find the organization very logical and easy to follow. It starts with the fundamentals, and then once you've gotten the hang of those it introduces you to more advanced features and functions and even includes some sections throughout that troubleshoot you through common problems. It's a book you can read cover to cover (which is what I did), and that you can then come back to and re-read at will as you need more information about a specific function. Or if you're in a rush, you can start by just reading the first three chapters (and, if you have time, also read chapter four, on exposure); the Table of Contents and Index are detailed enough that after reading the first few chapters, you can hopscotch around to the topics of most interest and relevance to you.

I also highly recommend Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography Field Guide; it's a fantastic book that really teaches you the fundamentals of photography in an easily accessible way, and a fantastic companion to David Busch's complete guide for the T3i (in fact, I wish I had started with Bryan Peterson's book--it's that good, and probably my personal favorite among all the photography books I own, including this T3i book). In fact, if you only buy two photography books (and are a T3i owner), these would be my top two recommendations.

Now, if budget is really an issue, and you are looking for just ONE book that helps you learn how to use the T3i but also covers the basics of photography and provides some practical guidance for actually shooting--then I'd recommend Jeff Revell's Canon EOS Rebel T3i / 600D: From Snapshots to Great Shots. It's not nearly as comprehensive as either this David Busch guide or Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography, but it's a very practical approach to teaching people new to DSLR how to use their T3i, the basics of photography, and how to pull it all together. In fact, I actually prefer the first chapter in Jeff Revell's book ("The T3i Top Ten List," which is basically a quickstart to setting up your T3i and some basic but important menu settings that are buried much more deeply in the David Busch guide), and I also really appreciate how each chapter in the Revell book concludes with an "assignment" page--basically a quick list of things to do that help you put what you just read into practice. Let's face it, the Busch guide is pretty massive and there's a lot to digest, and there's something to be said for ending each chapter with basically a summary of what you learned and how you put it into practice.

But all said, my first choice and highest recommendation would definitely be this David Busch guide in conjunction with Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography.
11 comment11 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 8, 2011
This book is so much better than the manual you get with the camera.I couldn't figure out a few things with my camera and as soon as I got my book I looked up the issues and within a few minutes I had everythng working the way it should have been.It's really easy to understand and detailed but not overly detailed.
on November 25, 2011
Extremely well written, well illustrated book. Good for a beginner & a more experienced photographer. It doesn't get any better than this!
on November 25, 2011
David Busch's guide is excellent. I am not a professional but an average person taking photos for family and hobby. The guide is well written in plain language for the non-professional like myself. It is very detailed and informative. Well worth the price. I also purchased the CanonT3i SLR camera from Amazon at a very competitive price. Hence the reason for the guide book. Very Satisfied with both the Camera and the guide.
on December 30, 2011
Great info from a pro; everything you want to know about your T3i. The book is a bit on the thick side, which makes it hard to take it everywhere with you, but it explains everything in a simply way.
on January 12, 2012
This book is amazing. It is more detailed and infomative then the manual included with the camera. I bought this in junction with Jeff Revell book
on October 8, 2011
I purchased a Canon EOS camera & discovered like many companies today don't provide a book manual I was able to find David Busch EOS book manual to be very helpful & it is easy to follow & understand for me as I'm not a Techie,
We live in a Tech & complex world today & for the most part people have a selfish " I don't care attitude". So it's refreshing to find a company like Amazon that does care & provide many products for us to purchase.
Tony Piscitelli
0Comment14 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2012
This book has helped me DRASTICALLY. I went from not knowing anything about DSLR's, and taking photos on "auto", to being able to go to manual, take pictures comfortably, and get enough experience to shoot weddings and personal shoots. Not only that, but it shows you what you may have did wrong, and how to fix it. I love reading this book, and it is in depth with about 90-95% of what it explains.

The ONLY downfall of this book, is the fact that in the movie chapter, it tells you HOW to set the camera to manual exposure for shooting, but it doesn't tell you the controls of changing the ISO, aperture and shutter speed. I was forced to Google tons of things, before I finally found what I needed to help me.

How to manually set exposure for movies:

The ISO button is to set ISO.
The click wheel is to set shutter speed.
Holding "AV" and clicking the wheel, is aperture.

Besides that, this book is the TRUTH, and I'm glad I purchased it. Since it taught me everything I know. I owe this man my life. Or the hundreds I've made.