5.0 out of 5 stars Nice instrument, may not be ready to play straight from box
Published on September 13, 2009 by Tom Rogers

3.0 out of 5 stars Reeds fatigue quickly
Published 21 months ago by Spydie

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice instrument, may not be ready to play straight from box, September 13, 2009
This review is from: Bushman Delta Frost Harmonica C
I've recently begun playing the harmonica, so I've been comparing some of the more popular harmonicas. The Bushman 'Delta Frost' has a good reputation and judging from what I've seen online an enthusiastic following. The other harmonicas to which I am comparing the 'Delta Frost' are the 'Hohner Special 20' and the 'Seydel Silver +'. From the perspective of learning to bend (which I started on the Hohner) I found throwing the 'Delta Frost' into the mix very helpful. The reeds are more responsive and I am able to hear the pitch better on the Bushman harp, plus it's easier for me to avoid the honking I've been getting on both the Hohner and Seydel, yielding a more plaintive bluesy sound. On the negative side of the equation, when bending hole three, my 'Delta Frost' sometimes produced a high pitched squeal and ringing sound. Also, the increased responsiveness is not an entirely unmixed blessing, it's easy to keep overshooting and undershooting the target pitch, resulting in what one of my friends used to call the Edi Brickell rollercoaster. I had to adjust my technique to address these issues, and the experience improved my playing on the other harmonicas, so it was all to the good. On the other hand, though changing bending technique reduced the chance of its occurence, the ringing and squealing would come back at the most inconvenient times, so I decided to look into the matter further and see if it was a problem with me or the 'Delta Frost'. Happily, I discovered that there is an easy fix, a couple dabs of nail polish at the rivet end of the offending reed. I am including a link (with pictures and sound clips) so you can see how to do this repair if it becomes necessary:

I sinned and posted a web address which has since been deleted, so if you do a search on "Why do I get those squealing/ringing noises" in your favorite search engine you should pull up an article by Pat Missin with the necessary information.

It's an easy enough repair, just note that you will need a much finer brush tip than on the applicator for most nail polishes, and you'll want some nail polish remover to clean the brush or remove any mistakes you make.

One final note, I've seen some pretty authoritative claims that the 'Delta Frost' is essentially a Suzuki 'Bluesmaster'and/or 'Harpmaster', the only evidence that I can personally attest to regarding that claim is that the squeal I fixed on my 'Delta Frost' is also an issue on the Suzukis. If that's true you could save a few bucks by getting a Bluesmaster. At some point I'll be testing a 'Bluesmaster' and I'll revise my review if I learn anything.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reeds fatigue quickly, October 7, 2012
Spydie (Carlsbad, NM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bushman Delta Frost Harmonica C
I have many harmonicas and many brands in all three configurations (Chromatic, Diatonic, Tremlo). I have several Diatonics including the Delta Frost Bushman, Suzuki, Seydel, Honer. My Bushman just bit the dust. The #5 Draw reed must have fatigued. I read online that it was the #5 that goes flat if you are a serious "bender". I'm not a serious bender, but it's definitely a flat #5. The only solution is to replace the reed plate. Of all my harmonicas and the 50 years of playing, this is the first harmonica I've had that had a reed quit working properly. Could it be the Phosphor Bronze? All my others have either brass or stainless steel reeds and have never had any note go flat. I tried some of the tune-up hints online to change the sound of a reed, but could not bring the low note back into the proper range. IN fact, no matter what I did, I couldn't change the sound at all. That's when I read about the #5 being the one that fatigues first and I believe that's what happened. Since this is the only harmonica this has ever happened to for me, I will not replace the reed plates ($19 plus shipping). Instead I'll spend a little more money and buy another Seydel with stainless reeds as they are supposed to resist fatiguing the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, May 2, 2010
This review is from: Bushman Delta Frost Harmonica C
By Far this Harmonica has the best playability and sound, and can't be beat for a beginner too. If you start out with a cheapo or run into bad luck with other brands that are a hit and miss on how easy they will play and if ALL the notes will play....I've had other WELL known brands and expensive ones where all notes would not play.
Go with Bushman and you don't have to pray that it will be playable....Remember! you can't test these things out with your mouth before buying and those testers some places have are worthless. Key of "C" if your starting out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delta Frost Rocks!, October 28, 2009
This review is from: Bushman Delta Frost Harmonica C
I am a beginner and own 2 other cheap harps, the Bushman has amazing tone and playability. My other harps sound like squeaky toys compared to the Bushman. This harp is the Buzz on all the harmonica forums. It is fast becoming one of the best harmonicas. You won't be disapointed if you buy this harp, it is a quality instrument. I am going to buy a couple more in different keys. I love the Delta Frost!

Bushman Delta Frost Harmonica C