5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent inexpensive binocular
Published on July 20, 2003 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheaply constructed to barely do the job
These binoculars cost a hair over twenty five bucks on amazon right now - you're not going to beat that deal in terms of value for money anywhere. They have decent optics.

Published on August 16, 2005 by Mustafa Jamil

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent inexpensive binocular, July 20, 2003
Amazon Customer (East Windsor, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bushnell Falcon 10x50 Wide Angle Binoculars (Black) (Electronics)
These binoculars perform very well during daytime and are good for the occasional birdwatcher or for viewing any outdoor event. The light weight and the insta-focus make them very easy to use. I bought them for stargazing (very tight budget!) and I am very satisfied with them giving what I paid. I have been able to locate and clearly see many Messier objects (ie. M22, M13, M11, M3, M5 and the great Andromeda Galaxy M31, and many star clusters such as M39 and the coathanger) and double stars with the Falcons, and they give a nice view of the summer milky way although the view is not very bright since the Falcons are not multicoated, but for [money] you really can�t ask much. Overall, excellent value. Buy the Falcons and Terence Dickinson�s �Nightwatch� (�Turn Left at Orion� is another good one) and you can get into backyard astronomy ...

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheaply constructed to barely do the job, August 16, 2005
Mustafa Jamil (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews

However, don't think you're getting high-quality construction for that money. These literally disintegrated on me on a recent international trip where they were subjected to neglible abuse (they were mostly carried around in a small backpack on long hikes and sometimes tightly packed in my suitcase). The shaft that couples the two eyepieces to the focusing mechanism is held together with flimsy plastic on both ends, and one of the ends simply snapped off, leaving me with an unusable set of binoculars.

The warranty on these is laughable (you have to pay to ship these - at a cost that's well over half the cost of buying a new pair - to Bushnell where they determine whether it's a manufacturer defect and, if so, send you a repaired item in a few weeks), so my options were to buy a new pair or to try to repair these on my own. I opted for the latter.

In so doing, I took a look inside. It looks like Bushnell cut every corner possible when throwing these together. Most metal edges have been poorly milled, resulting in uneven surfaces. A white adhesive substance has unevenly and sloppily been applied inside to hold the optics assembly together. Not encouraging.

That said, I'd buy these again. Even if I burn through one of these every year due to the shoddy construction, I'd have to go a decade of doing so before I'd have spent enough to equal the cost of a well constructed pair of binoculars that gave me 10x50 magnification.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain Binocs Get the Job Done, January 9, 2004
Elderbear (Loma Linda, Aztlan) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I bought a pair of these on sale (from my "gold box" -- 10x50 is supposed to be the ideal for stargazing. I figured that this might come at the price of some chromatic distortion (tolerable) or difficulty focusing (intolerable). Last night was a "clear" night here in the South Bay. I live about a mile inland, on the coastal edge of Los Angeles' vast light pollution. No marine layer, and I quickly pulled the full moon into focus, then adjusted the other eye-piece. They work for me, but if my eyes get much worse ... I'll have to pass them on to somebody younger.
Enough of the moon, already. I wanna see something I don't see on a regular basis. A quick scan of Orion showed some nebulosity visible, even above city lights. They feel steady. I'm looking forward to more star time.
I didn't notice any chromatic aberation. I have only three minor complaints:
1) No tripod socket for making sure that kids can see what you want them too see. No socket was promised ... so this is not a really fair complaint.
2) Lens caps are cheap and tend to fall off. Watch out for them. It wouldn't have cost that much more to manufacture better lens caps--Bushnell ought to fix this one.
3) I would have designed the adjustable lens with a broader range of diopters for those of us who don't quite see as well as we used to.
All in all, a great pear of binocs for searching the night sky.

5.0 out of 5 stars MAGNIFYING VALUE, January 22, 2001
By A Customer
These binoculars are terrific! I shopped around for a long time for a good pair of binoculars. When I received these I was amazed at the quality and clarity for such a GREAT VALUE! Average binoculars have a magnification of 7 x 35, but these wide angle 10 x 50 binoculars put those others to shame. Bushnell is a well known company and they have out done themselves with the Falcons! If you are looking for a reliable, clear pair of binoculars... these are the best value!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good product for the value, September 30, 2001
netrg101 "netrg101" (Sunnyvale, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Found to be a real good one. Compared it with couple of others with my friends. This one is more clear, lighter and fun to watch. Only thing is even if it says its "wide angle" its not a really "wide angle". But found it to be very good for bird watching and general purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Bird-watching, May 9, 2003
By A Customer
I purchased these binoculars for my mother's birdwatching hobby. They are very nice and the view is very good. They are easy to adjust and seem quite durable. I had an old pair that I gave away because I could never adjust them to see anything. These worked well the first time and didn't take much adjusting to get a clear picture. They are well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality at a GREAT Price, October 15, 2003
By A Customer
I could not believe that these binoculares, would be this nice for the price I paid! I love to take them to the ocean,view the ships, and the seagulls, and I am a rookie at bird watching. I wear glasses, and I didn't know how they would adjust, but the auto adjust, is truly auto adjust......I love them, and the I love the price.Bushnell great job!

5.0 out of 5 stars You get more than what you pay !, September 12, 2004
This is my first binocular. I had earlier used a 4"newt and

8"dob. But never actually went out and used them. The setup and

assembling takes some time with the scopes. Recently in my US

trip, I bought this very cheap binocular. I stay in a light

polluted city and I must say , this binoculars have done wonders

to me so far. I was easily able to spot M7,M6 in Scorpius. M7 is

truly a beauty through this binocular. With help of some star

charts I was easily able to get the dreaded ;) M31 in the focus.

This binocular is really amazing. The optics are pretty good.

I rate it 10 out of 10 ! The bushnell site as well as amazon

mentions it does not have the socket adapter which is wrong.

It does have it. You need to unscrew the cap between the two

barrels , it has "Made in China" printed. I am soon planning

to get a neat L adapter. This is well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the cost, July 15, 2003
Satyadev Nandakumar (Ames, Ia United States/Thrissur, India) - See all my reviews
I am a rookie bird-watcher and I would recommend this pair of binoculars for bird-watching/binocular astronomy. It can be used to track birds in flight with comparitive ease, and this is a big plus. The insta-focus is a nice concept, especially in winter when the standard knob that binoculars usually have, is a nuisance. The weight, too, is quite manageable.
I found this adequate for most birding, except for things like identifing small birds in dim light. For this, a 7x binoculars is what is usually recommended. But, this binoculars is a happy middle-path if you are also considering some binocular astronomy, since the aperture size is good.
However, there was a great deal of misting over of the lens, in damp conditions (in my case, on the Applachian trail in Tennessee). This might be a detriment in wet weather birding (waders?). Also, the shoulder strap is quite thin.
Overall, a good buy considering the low cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality for the money, October 9, 2002
I'm buying the Binoculars for my grandchildren. I bought one to check it out and now will buy two more. They requested these for Christmas for birdwatching. I found them very easy to focus which is a plus with young children. The clarity was surprisingly very good.

Bushnell Falcon 10x50 Wide Angle Binoculars (Black)
$54.95 $33.51