Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

on September 23, 2001
While comparing items in the store where I eventually purchased these binoculars, I noticed two things that immediately set these pair from the rest. The "InstaFocus" one-finger focus was excellent and dead on. Also the ability to track moving objects far exceeded a pair of Tasco's I demoed. The Falcons seem to stay in focus, without needing adjustment, for considerably varying distances.
I used the binoculars at a racetrack and professional football game (not having the BEST seats) and could easily make out names, etc. Great clarity, decent power, excellent focus make these a great purchase.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon August 10, 2009
There is really no need to get binoculars that cost 5 times (or more) for casual use. These work just fine and I've owned one for a couple of years. If you get any higher magnification than 10X, they are difficult to handhold - so 7X is really the sweet spot as far as magnification goes. The other number refers to the exit aperture (bigger the number - more light gets into the binocular). These also work quite well in darker situations - letting in plenty of light and giving you a bright image. I've noted small differences when compared with an Olympus that cost about 8 times more - but really, for their price, these can't be beat..

The lenses are also coated and combined with a prism system (instead of mirrors), makes for sharper images.

Only con is that this type of binocular is not pocket sized. However, its pretty comfortable to carry on your neck (neckstrap)

For the reviewer who claimed that these were worse than toy plastic binoculars - well - just one word comes to my mind "clueless". They either had sphagetti on their lenses or were looking at birds through the wrong end of the binocular...
on October 22, 2010
We have ordered 15 pair of these at different times because we use them to give away to disadvantaged groups, where teachers need a binocular set for night observing that is decent but not expensive to replace (we send or take binoculars overseas). We also use the same set at home for demonstrations and binocular observing. Every pair we have had has been the same, which means the quality assurance is very good. Optically, for the price, these binoculars are well above average. The view is clear, right diopter adjustment works easily, the instant focus is smooth and quick to operate. Amazon's price was a little better than anyone else.
on July 30, 2006
I find the fast focus on this item to be very useful. Product is not like the old days but at the price I paid it was a bargain. It's just what I wanted, and I'm quite pleased.
on January 21, 2010
This is my second pair in the last year, one for my wife, and then me, my old ones are the same style and brand, but just a lot older, so I wanted to replace them.
What can I say except, for the price, you get a pretty good pair of binoculars, and these, they're rubber-coated, so it makes them all the more nicer.
I use these to help me spot what I will photograph next, spotting a bird that I am unsure of, that kind'a thing.
This doesn't take the place of a spotting scope, but it's perfect from what I need them for, and it's a lot more easier to carry than a scope would be.
The optics are bright and clear, and at this magnification they don't shake like the higher powered ones do, not knocking those, but that's a whole 'nother animal, at least for me.
I love these things, I'd highly recommends them to anyone that doesn't need a high dollar pair, and really, these should be double what they cost, they're that good.
on September 15, 2012
After years of suffering with dark, weak, wobbly binoculars (thank you, Magnacraft), I found myself needing two types: the best quality I could find (1) at any weight but under $250 for use within a drive of home (home binocs), and (2) under 10 oz, easy to travel with in tour groups, simple for impatient family members, and ideal for night concerts and day baseball games (travel binocs).

After studying reviews and comments thoroughly, I concluded there are brilliant experts commenting regularly on Amazon - much more insightful than the professional reviewers who focus on expensive, heavy devices purchased by others of their ilk. From my fellow consumers' insights, I purchased 11 binoculars with at least 70% five-star ratings that fit my general specifications for home or travel.

GENERAL CONCLUSIONS. After exhaustive examination - reading a DVD box at 46 feet, finding individual cattle from a moving minivan, and watching stars and planets in my backyard - I concluded the essential attributes for binoculars across categories are:

(A) Plenty of Light brought to your eye. Light is determined by the diameter of the light-gathering lens divided by the magnification. In other words, an 8x42 pair has a ratio of 5.25 and produces LOTS of light, while a 10x21 pair has a ratio of 2.1 and always appear dark. Conclusion: About 3.0 is adequate and the best available for compact binoculars.

(B) Good Stability of View. View stability depends on (i) the degrees of field of vision (can you find what you are looking for), (ii) the depth of visibility (do you have to refocus for every few feet of depth), and (iii) wobble (which is itself determined by (i) and (ii)). Conclusion: field of vision is rarely as broad as advertised, depth of visibility depends on the lens quality and you just have to check it out, and any binoc with a magnification of 10 or higher proved to have poor stability of view without a tripod, at least for me. There is a big difference between 8x and 10x, particularly below a 42 lens diameter.

SPECIFIC CONCLUSIONS. (Home Binoculars) The best Home Binoc was the Nikon Monarch ATM 8x42, and it outperformed all other 10 by a wide margin. I could read a DVD box at 46 feet, keep a broad and stable view to find the cow with three white spots while bouncing in a minivan, and find and watch Mars. At 24 oz, it's too big for constant lugging, but oh what a treat. At $230, it was comparable in price to the Vixen 14502 Foresta 8x42 and the Bushnell Ultra HD 8x42, but it performed noticeably better, particularly on view stability. Several cheaper, heavy models under $100 had cloudy lens.

(Travel Binoculars) The Pentax 8x25 UCF XII and the Olympus 8x25 PCI were best in class, although the Pentax had less wobble, more clarity while the Olympus provided more light and more accurate color tones, but a smaller field of vision. (Forget finding the cow, but if you found it, you could count its ear hairs at dusk). Both were 10 oz, and about $65; the Pentax, which gets slightly better overall reviews, is larger but felt better in my hand. Small hands, viewing at dusk, standing still = Olympus. Larger hands, viewing in daylight, on a bus = Pentax. Lastly, the itty bitty Olympus 7x21 PC III at 7 oz in metallic blue is adorable and $24 (refurbished), with fantastic clarity and ease of use, but a very narrow field of vision, despite its 7.5% claim.

So what did we do? I decided to travel with the heavy Nikon Monarch, but kept the Pentax 8x25 in reserve. Different members of my family preferred the Pentax 8x25, the Olympus 8x25, and the Olympus 7x21, each predictably on the basis of the decision maker's age, size, and goals. None showed any interest in the other six binocs.

As a final note, Beware of imperfection and non-Amazon sellers. Two of the 11 binocs arrived with lens imperfections. The heavy Bushnell Falcon (7x36) at $30 had a cloudy lens, and Amazon accepted the return promptly. The lightweight but expensive Nikon Travelite 10x25, already with little light and a small field of vision, had a defective lens, making it darker. The vendor wanted me to pay shipping in both directions plus a restocking fee to return the defective item.

Good luck with your decision. I hope my odyssey was helpful to you.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 1, 2012
These binoculars work great for me watching birds.the fast focus is great.Really fine detail.would recommend these for anyone.the case is very nice.The neck strap is so comfortable.
on July 7, 2015
i was so looking forward to getting these, but when i got them I took them out , read the instructions for focusing them. But could not get to see one image no matter what I did. So I was thinking I would wait to for my husband to come in and see if he could get them to work. But then I looked at them and noticed that the Lens on right side was positioned crooked. No way would they ever focus right, so back in the box and already printed out the return label. Best thing about Amazon, doesn't happen often but when it does it is not problem to return things. Think I am going to do a bit more research and pay a bit more. The thing just didn't look put together right even the other parts aside from the lens.
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2011
For the price, these bino's are great. The are small, but not so small that every movement you make gets transferred to the optics making them very hard to use. The rocker focus mechanism is super easy to use, and I cannot image using bino's without it anymore. They have a very large diameter optic, so everything is very bright, clear and sharp. Very important if you plan on using them indoors, at night or on a cloudy day at the stadium. It comes with front and back caps, and a nice soft case to protect them. For $25.00 or so, I don't see how you can beat them. I highly recommend them. Just my .02
on February 27, 2012
I was looking for inexpensive, but functional, binoculars to use with school groups in outdoor settings. These binoculars are WAY better than I expected for the price. The optics are crisp and the binoculars are easy to focus with the rocker-type focus (easier for kids than a dial that has to be turned). They are relatively small and lightweight (given the power). To be nit-picky, the only minor disadvantage is that they have lens caps that do not have straps to hold them to the binoculars, but that's the case with most of the binoculars that I have already. So...I'll set aside the caps and not worry about taking them into the field. The neck strap is a basic, narrow webbed strap, although the strap on the case is wider and potentially more comfortable for extended carrying.