on September 16, 2014
Although it's a bit heavy it a great scope for the money. On the highest illumination level it tends to wash out the lens. I also highly recommend the Burris 30mm single piece mount.
review image review image review image review image review image
on August 25, 2013
I recently purchased this scope from a certain big box store (you can probably guess which one), and since it seems unavailable ANYWHERE else (I had it on backorder for over a month with an online retailer), I have a feeling said store has a lock on the first X number of them made. I ran into the same thing a few years back with a Funai made Magnavox DVR (nobody got any until a certain retailer satisfied their initial order).

GOOD
1. Optical clarity - two gun stores that looked at the scope both remarked how clear and bright the glass was (they've looked through a LOT more scopes than I have).
2. First Focal Plane Reticle - I recently bought my first variable power scope (Nikon P22) only to discover that with a 2nd focal plane reticle, Bullet Drop Compensation marks are darn near useless, as they change values depending on the power selected - with a 1st focal plane reticle as on this scope, BDC values remain constant no matter your power setting.
3. Can be used as a red dot on 1x, and the BDC reticle is not visible on 1x to clutter up the sight. If you need to reach out, crank the power up, and the BDC reticle is visible.
4. Mixed feelings about the PCL (Power Control Lever) - as long as it holds up, I'm OK with it. Wasn't sure about it at first, but when up it sure makes power changes quick / easy!
5. If the red dot were to fail, the horseshoe / dot reticle is still there, just not illuminated.
6. Weight - feels a little heavy to me, but some folks seem to like the heft!?
7. I have a friend that's had LASIK surgery, and he has problems with certain types of red dot sights - he was blown away with how sharp the illuminated reticle was (he bought 2 of 'em).
8. Both illumination controls and battery (CR2032) are the same as Bushnell's TRS-25 sights.

BAD
1. Having to loosen 3 Allen screws to reset turrets to zero can be a real PITA - my Nikon P22 has spring loaded turrets - just lift up, reset to zero, and lower.
2. The turrets may be a bit on the large side, but I guess that can be good or bad?
3. Turrets cannot be locked down - since the turrets are a little large, one could bump them if not careful - you just need to make sure both are on zero before shooting.
4. A bit of wishful thinking, but an extra power level or two would always be nice? (maybe 1 to 6x).
Of course, I realize doing so would raise the price.

So far everyone that has checked out mine has been impressed - if it holds up well (and only time will tell) I might up my rating to five stars?

NOTE: The picture / description here (and at Bushnell's site) says 1/2" MOA - mine is .1 MIL, NOT MOA! I checked the model number of mine vs. this one, and it is identical.

I currently have it on a Colt M4 Carbine 22 mounted with a Bobro Engineering 30mm Extended Optic Mount.
After playing with it for a while, it may find a home on a big AR.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 28, 2014
Received this promptly via Amazon prime and I immediately recognized the quality of the optic. It is a little on the heavy size for what it is, mostly due to the massive ocular bell, but I was willing to compromise the weight for the versatility of the product. The throw lever is clever and super functional. Makes using other scopes without a lever a chore now that I have been spoiled with this one. The reticle is sharp and the lenses clear. At 1 power it is basically a red dot but zoom to 4 power and the reticle with the bdc hash marks open up before your eyes unlocking longer distance shot potential. The turrets are zero reset-able but do not lock. They have very positive clicks though and would not be prone to accidental changes in my opinion. The lens caps are of superior quality compared to other free bees I have received in the past. I have read reviews prior to purchase stating that the illuminated reticle was not bright enough. This has not been my experience at all, even on the brightest day at the range the illumination was very visible. These people saying this in the reviews must be using it on the surface of the sun... Idk? I can only speak to my experience and it is very bright and clear. I don't really even use the illumination in the day as the black outline of the reticle in all power levels is perfect for me and my usage. At night my mounted flashlight makes using the dark reticle a perfect contrast so I have only played around with the brightness levels a little bit, basically just to see in what conditions they would work best. I don't really see myself using the illumination feature much except for maybe early morning or dusk hunts but it is a nice feature nonetheless. I mounted this up using the Amazon recommended Millett one piece 30mm/1" mount (B004YL6CS0) at the T10 receiver mark and I was 1" high at 100 yards using 62gr xm855 right out of the box. I could not believe how easy this thing was to zero. Made this an excellent experience to sight in. No wasted ammo!!!!

Several rounds later (too many to count) this optic and mount set up is still at zero. I have not even had to tinker with the turrets.I have not been gentile either. It is a tool and I use this weapon as such. I use Kentucky windage on 2-300 yrd shots, no problem. Zero'd for 100 yards as the manual instructs to do, hold over is a breeze with the bdc hash marks. Right on the money, thanks to the first focal plane no adjustments needed between zoom. Groups well with my precision barrel. Close up 15-25 yards it shoots a tad low so I use the 300 yard hash mark and it is dead on. This is also the one more pronounced to the eye in 1-2 power settings, it is the first mark my eye sees at the lower powers so it works perfectly for me.

Overall this is probably the best ar optic for the money in my opinion. It is clear, fool proof, and cleverly designed with ar shooters in mind, I will put one on every ar I own at this point. I have tested many optics like it and this one stands out in a class of it's own. Also don't forget about the $30 rebate going on right now from Bushnell. Makes even more sense to buy from a value standpoint. I only wish I could give it additional stars. Thats just how much I enjoy this product. Amazon is awesome as well with their freaky fast shipping and excellent customer service.
***I hope this review helps any one on the fence about purchasing this as I was. I have not looked back and am very pleased with my purchase.***
on November 22, 2013
Excellent scope, well built, 30mm tube. ILLUMINATED, FIRST FOCAL PLANE reticle makes it super easy to do holdovers at any magnification level. At $254 new, this is an awesome deal. Bullet drops are calibrated for a 55-62 grain NATO 5.56x45 (.223 Rem) round. There is an extensive range of adjustment in 1/10 mil clicks.

This scope comes without rings (needs 30mm rings) and is made in Korea.

Highly recommended as a quality & value-for-money CQB scope for an AR15.
on August 27, 2013
I ordered this scope through a military store in May. After numerous calls to Bushnell, I finally received the product the first week of August. Three months was a long wait, but I have to say that I am more than impressed with this rifle scope. It's mounted on a Sig M400, and I have put easily a thousand rounds down range with no change in zero. The glass is amazingly clear (a Marine friend of mine called it HD) with no parallax. While the wait was long and trying, Bushnells customer service was always polite, and they bent over backwards to answer my questions. If you are looking for an outstanding scope with crystal clear glass, 11 different levels of reticle illumination, fast, easy magnification changes, true 1X with no parallax, then look no further. On a side note...I paid $239 for mine with free shipping. Anyone from Amazon listening???
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 14, 2014
No this is not a Vortex or Nightforce, but it works very well and for the money you really can't go wrong.

I have one on a 5.45x39 AR that I use for 3gun. This is my cheap ammo setup. And I have to say, for the money, this is a great scope. The illumination brightness is a little on the light side, but works for the most part in direct sun.

Our range goes out to 300, and I can hit 6" plates without issue. Don't knock it until you try it. Ordering a 2nd one for a 556 upper.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 5, 2014
I received the scope and was initially very pleased with it. It is well layed out and you seem to get a lot of scope for the money (by appearances). I however just went to their web sight to look into registering it for the warranty and found it is not covered by Bushnell's normal "bullet proof" warranty.

I have no idea if it is going to hold up but even Barksa backs their stuff up with a lifetime warranty. I will be contacting Bushnell about it. I don't expect to need warranty service any time soon. But, it says alot when they offer one type of warranty for almost everything else in their line up and except this.

Especially cosidering the following claim from the description of the product:

"Max accuracy and reliability to master every tactical scenario. We took the bedrock precepts behind every riflescope we build - optical precision, rugged reliability and uncompromising performance - and pushed them ever farther for the AR-platform."

Then exclude it from the normal lifetime warranty they offer.

I will follow up asap if they have anything else to say other than it was a cost saving trade off they made to get it in at a lower price point.

The follow up:

The brochure sent with the scope states it is covered by a limited lifetime warranty with no mention of exceptions for specific parts. I conacted Bushnell customer service and they said everything but the electronics portion is covered for life. I am very happy with having to use multiple avenues to determine what is or is not covered but they did offer to take it back.

I will probably keep it as I would have to spend at least another $100.00 to get a scope with features even approaching this ones from another reputable company. They should just be more upfront about the situation from the get go.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 20, 2014
Love this scope, it's clear and bright, built very rugged and has usable features. The only difference I have found between this and the $1200 competition is the warranty. Bushnelll will not replace this if you break it, Vortex and Luepold will.
on December 14, 2013
I like this scope and for the competition type shooting I do with it the zoom handle is great. The price is right in comparison to the other 1x4 zooms.
on December 19, 2014
This scope is AWESOME. I'm a pretty experienced shooter, and love this scope. I've shot with better scopes and definitely shot with worse. I bought this for GF who is a rookie shooter and she has no problems with it. People say the burris tac30 is better for the similar price but I strongly disagree. First off, this reticle is first focal plane which is a HUGE plus. At 1x, the reticle shrinks so small that you can use the scope almost as a red dot (it has to have the illumination turned on). The reticle on the Bushnell is much cleaner looking than the Burris with easier to use rangefinding capabilities. The illumination switch is far easier to use. It's a rotating knob on the side. Burris has a button which sounds easier but is really kind of a pain in the ass. The burris has a similar weight but this scope is shorter. The variable zoom is awesome to use with the PCL lever. The Burris could have an aftermarket one installed but I don't like how the whole rear of the scope turns when you adjust power. This Bushnell scope just has the one moving ring, like most other scopes (kinda nitpicky). Glass quality seems similar between the two even though some people beg to differ. The Burris glass looks good, it lets in a lot of light, it's clear, sharp, and beautiful like all their scopes. But, this Bushnell looks damn good as well. I have no complaints. I've shot with both and would prefer this scope over the Burris every time.