5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift for Mom
Published on June 5, 2009 by Joseph T. Pastor

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough
Purchased these binoculars about 18 months ago. These binos work well enough for my purpose. That is watching birds in the bird bath and on the feeders in the back yard. They focus very clearly and the view is fairly bright. But, the rubber eye cups disintegrated after only 6 months. I just peeled them off and use them without the eye cups.
Published on December 28, 2012 by GaryH

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift for Mom, June 5, 2009
This review is from: Bushnell Natureview 8x40 Porro Prism Birding Binocular (Electronics)
I sold my astronomy binoculars (too big to be useful, the telescope is easier) to buy my mom - a birding enthusiast - these for Mother's Day. When I got them I checked them out for myself. Great detail, good magnification and field of view, and easy to keep steady. After dark I looked at some open star clusters and found that they are great for astronomy too. Mom loves 'em, uses them almost every day from the kitchen window for urban bird-watching. I plan to buy a pair for myself for astronomy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for the money, January 10, 2010
My wife is absolutely thrilled with these. She uses them mainly for bird watching. 8 x 40 works nicely for viewing objects approximately 50 feet away. Not too powerfull although it also does a nice job with objects 100 yards away too. Construction seems strudy as well. Would definately recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good actually, July 28, 2010
K. Brown (Detroit, USA) - See all my reviews
These binoulars are primarily used by my wife. She Loves them and uses them for birding. They are a great bargain and provide a clear bright image. My personal feeling is that they are a little too big to be carrying around on bird walks or through the woods. I have a different pair of binoculars that are smaller and easier to focus....so these are good and especially for the price.

The 8X40 is a good range for birding but I would opt for something that is smaller and can hang from around your neck. These are really too big to lug around fields. They would be good for sports games or use at home or in a cabin but not hiking around.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Falcon came to visit, July 25, 2011
I live on the 18th floor of an apartment in the Bronx, NY. Not long ago, I woke very early and found a falcon perch on the balcony railing. As the falcon surveyed the land below, I watch him or her through my window for quite some time. What a magnificent wild animal. In an instant, I was transformed into a birdwatcher.
I read serveral articles on binoculars and the Bushnell NatureView 8x40 was recommended for beginning birdwatchers, such as myself. I am very pleased with it. First, it is easy to use. Believe me, the first thing anyone wants is ease of use. Second, it is steady. When zooming in on a bird, boat, tain, or plane (yes, all of this an more can be seen from my balcony) the one thing a person wants is a clear, steady view that isn't affected by small, jerky motions from unsteady hands. (Hey, I'm not a surgeon, so don't worry.) Third, I don't have 20/20 vision, but with and without my glasses The Bushnell NatureView gave me a beautiful, clear, close up of the sailboats in bay, which is very far from my home. I look forward to sitting on my balcony with these binoculars watching birds, boat, trains and planes for a very long time, indeed. Bushnell Natureview 8x40 Porro Prism Birding Binocular

5.0 out of 5 stars bushnnell for the birding trip, April 3, 2009
Mary Perry (medford oregon) - See all my reviews
The binos inluded a very excellent set of directions for adjusting for my eyes and they are very clear to look through. can't wait for our birding trip this month.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good binoculars at a reasonable price, December 30, 2009
I bought these binoculars for my daughter, a birdwatcher, for Christmas. She loves them. They are not as heavy as the ones we have had for years, and are much better quality than the lightweight useless ones we also possess. A good investment!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Compromise, September 14, 2011
TevaToes "di" (Wesley Chapel Fl (near Tampa)) - See all my reviews
These turned out to be a good choice for my bird-watchnig mother.
Magnification is just right for sitting on our back patio and scoping out birds, from 30ft to 300ft away, with little effort to keep everything in focus. They are a bit bulky for my mothers smaller hands, and perhaps just a bit heavier than she would have liked, but all in all, they do their job well.
I made the mistake of getting a more "powerful" pair of Bushnells, the 16x32 Compact pair, thinking that the smaller size, and lighter weight might be more comfortable for her, but with a magnification of 16x, she couldn't hold 'em steady enough to get any enjoyment out of them.
So, if you're looking for a casual pair of birding binoculars, I recommend the Natureview 8x40.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for birding, May 10, 2010
M. Kempen (Freedom, WI USA) - See all my reviews
I bought these binoculars for birding, and they are working well for that purpose. The rubberized grips are easy to hold. The focus is easy to adjust quickly. The 8X is more helpful than 7x's, yet it does not magnify hand movement too much. These are lightweight enough not to be bothersome. I have not had problems with fogging or rain. Comes with neckstrap and soft-side carrying case.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice But Heavy, December 20, 2011
G. Evans (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
I ordered these binos to replace my old pair that I accidentally dropped. I was looking for something a little stronger in power and great for backyard birding. Based on the reviews and the specs, this looked like the perfect set for me. I was very pleased with the quality and sturdiness of these binos. The only problem is that they are really big and heavy. I weighed my old, broken pair and they were about 16 oz. This set was wider, longer and weighed about 26 oz. I didn't even bother to check the weight before ordering, assuming they would be similar in size and weight to my old pair. You'd be amazed at how much an extra 10 oz matters when you hold binos for any extended period of time. I also thought about how big and heavy these would be around my neck or in a backpack to take in the field, along with my big camera. I ended up returning these and getting a compact set (9.9 oz!) which I am very pleased with. The image is smaller but the weight and size worked better for me. I still highly recommend these binos if you don't mind the weight and size. Happy birding, everyone!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough, December 28, 2012