Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

These things work by setting the focus to infinity and reducing the opening on the ocular (eye piece) side. That maximized the range of distances that are in focus and reduces the amount of light that gets in. The result is a slightly dimmed and more possibly in focus image. For noon-time football or other midday activities it's OK. Of indoor things like plays or evening activities, not so much.

If you wear eye glasses these won't work well. There is no way to hold them comfortably against your glasses.

If you eyes are different, as they are for most people, these won't work well. There is no way to individually adjust the separate eye pieces (as there is for all but the most least expensive :) binoculars.

If you are old, as I am, and need reading glasses, as I do, these won't work well. See the reasons above.

If none of these apply then you will probably find these a good value. Otherwise, search out binoculars with the functions you need and leave the magic to the magicians.

BTW, I feel that honest, effective reviews can take the place of first-hand experiences that are lacking in online shopping. I've always appreciated the help I've received from other reviewers and work hard to return the favor as best as I can. I hope you found this review helpful and if there was anything you thought was lacking or unclear leave a comment and I'll do what I can to fix it.
66 comments|360 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2011
I am a huge fan of the permafocus binoculars. Its true, you do not have any adjustments other than the pop up eye covers. Leave them down for prescription glasses or sunglasses. Pop them up if no glasses are worn. They are easy to stow because of their small size. I have 2 pair of them. The 8x32 for closer viewing, 25-100 yards, and I also have the 10 power that are suited for longer distance. I would suggest to buy the power for the distance you are looking for. If viewing somthing closer, you will need a lower power as the permafocus will not do close distance with high power.
on February 20, 2011
FIRST OF ALL, IT'S REPREHENSIBLE THAT AMAZON THROWS ALL OF THESE TOGETHER. DIFFERENT BINOCULARS WITH DIFFERENT POWERS HAVE DIFFERENT REVIEWS.

7x35: These binoculars have low enough power to give acceptable results.
7x50: Probably the best of the Perma-series. Bright image, low enough power.
8x32: Unacceptable power. Blurry images compounded by darker image.
8x50: Blurrier image. Poor depth of field.

Remember, the wider the aperture, the less the field of focus, and the greater the power, the less the field of focus (or "depth of field" in photographic terms). And the greater the magnification, the less bright the image will be and the less depth of field.

Amazon needs to realize they can't just clump these things together. The 7x models may be quite acceptable, but at 8x magnification, they become unacceptable.
22 comments|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2011
I really like these binoculars. They work great for me and I wear glasses. They have the twist cups so if they are down you can use your glasses or twist them up if you don't wear glasses. The eye relief is spectacular. I have a very mild astigmatism and they work great with or without the glasses. They feel very sturdy and secure. They worked great with my cheapo Allen Binocular harness. I am going to use these for rifle and bow hunting in Missouri. The camo is awesome. Love realtree camo. I picked these out since they were roof prism and compact. I have a cheap pair of 10x25 $15 binoculars from walmart and the visual quality was just ok, bad in low light, and I could not use them with glasses. The image quality on these is bright and sharp. The controls are smooth and quick. I'd give the image quality an A- to an A depending on the situation. For the hunter on a budget they will be awesome. I was testing them out in the backyard and was testing out the low light and it brightened up the image in shady areas. Detail is great. I was looking at a small dogwood tree behind a rose plant at about 100 yards and was easily able to count the branches so it should be fine for counting antlers at a distance. A week ago I would have gave these a 5 star and A+ review. I've owned about 6 binoculars in the 30-100 price range and these were my favorite. The reviews on these binoculars are great. (Black version of this same binocular has more reviews) I was at bass pro over the weekend looking at sales on clothing and checking out a recent rangefinder I bought on ebay. On my rifle I upgraded to the Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 scope and I love it. The detail and brightness are spectacular and IMO beats leopold. Don't get mad, I was just as surprised when I compared them side by side in the store. "In the store" the Nikon's were the winner. In the field I compared them to my uncles and they were virtually identical. My binoculars were great. I thought the Nikon binoculars would be just about the same. ... Grrrrr... Nope, Bushnell's lost. I tested out the 8x36, 10x42, and 8x42. The image quality was just as detailed and a bit brighter than my scope. Originally I wanted to stay under $100 for binoculars since I didn't use them much the first time I went hunting in 2010. Turns out the big reasons why I did not use the binoculars much was due to my eyes (noticed eye trouble in september 2010 and was diagnosed with astigmatism during my first eye appoinment in december) and them getting in the way (fixed with harness). I ended up getting the Nikon's on ebay and were on sale and refurbished. I ended up getting the Nikons and this Bushnell for the average cost of a new Nikon's at most stores. The Nikons are my favorite, but I'm a optic and technology junkie so my O.C.D. got the better of me. Detail, light, field of view, and less shake at 8x were just too much for me to let go. These bushnell's are amazing. They are very very close to Nikon's, just don't compare them side to side. For the hunter on a budget, a new hunter, or a youth hunter these are great binoculars. They will work. The only real cons about these binoculars is they are slightly older so they weigh about 1/4 more than the newer bushnell binoculars and they are not water and fog proof. I highly recommend these. I will use these when I travel, as a backup, and I will loan them to my sister in two years when we will let her youth hunt. If you have the money get Nikon's, but if you are wanting a pair of binoculars for under $100 that are sturdy and sharp these will fit the bill perfectly.
on June 29, 2011
I initially bought these binoculars for a family trip to Belize because of their compact size and for their feature of never needing focusing. They packed easily and were great for the trip. It was such fun to pass to other members of the family so that they could share a particular view...Since there was no need to focus, they could quickly catch sight of the bird or boat or person before they got out of sight. I could see with or without my glasses...the infinity focus worked great. I love them and now keep them handy for bird watching at the beach. I highly recommend these binoculars.
on August 17, 2009
The Bushnell Permafocus 10x42 are a very convenient pair of binoculars. They're easy to use - just adjust to the distance between your eyes and that's it. There is no focus and single-eye focus to worry about. The settings are locked in and there are no other knobs to adjust. You just look through them.
The eye cups retract which almost seems like an extraneous feature.
I am somewhat nearsighted but the image is sharp through these binoculars without my glasses.
The build is rugged and the binoculars feel heavy. The outer shell has a thin rubberized quality and the ridges along the sides help them be slip-resistant.
The binoculars come with padded soft nylon case and an adjustable neck strap.
on July 27, 2009
I really enjoy these binocs. The permafocus feature is a godsend for those of us with bad eyes. Standard binocs have a diopter adjustment- spin one lens for one eye and then hope the main focus will bring both eyes into focus. With these binocs, everything is always in focus and never an adjustment to be made. The price is very good and they come with a nice carrying case, which you will need as they are too big for a shirt pocket.
on December 26, 2014
I use these for deer hunting. It's nice to be able to grab them with one hand and not have to focus. I've got another pair that were 3 times as much, and while the glass on the "premium" binoculars is definitely clearer, I find I still prefer these because of the benefit of not having to focus.
on October 20, 2012
I got a 'used' pair of these from the Amazon Warehouse for $15. When they arrived, they were still in the original package, unopened and appeared to be new. No complaints there. I got these to replace a pair of Bushnell 8x25 Permafocus porro prism binoculars that my kid dropped and knocked out of alignment. These have roof prisms instead of porro prisms, so hopeffuly they won't get knocked out of alignment as easily? Cheaper than the 8x25's, but slightly larger and heavier. These have twist eye cups instead of rubber like the others. Permafocus feature is nice for getting a quick look at something. You never have to adjust anything. Great for sharing. On the other hand, you can't adjust anything, so maybe Permafocus isn't for everyone. Not a pain in the butt to use like folding compact 8x21 or 10x25 binoculars either. My only complaint is the internal reflections at night, but all Bushnell Permafocus binoculars are like that. They are not fully multi-coated like more expensive binoculars. That's why I give them 4 stars instead of 5. Hard to beat for $15 though.
on July 15, 2013
This is an auto focus binocular. It didn't occur to me when I bought these that I may have a problem because I wear glasses.....I can't use the binoculars when I'm wearing my glasses -- so the "auto focus" on the binoculars isn't exactly what I expected. I used the binoculars with the glasses and the focus was better but it is just too awkward for me to see in the binoculars with my glasses. So consider this first if you wear glasses -- I wish I had. On the other hand, my daughter uses these same binoculars and wears contacts, so they work for her.....you decide.