Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on June 13, 2007
After a number of noteworthy nature encounters on the golf course, I decided it would be wise to purchase a compact binocular for my golf bag. To that end, I purchased the Bushnell Powerview 7-15x25 reverse porro prism binocular.

My overall impression has been quite positive. At 7x magnification, the optics are wholly sufficient, providing crisp, bright views with only minor distortion toward the edges. The 262 foot (@ 1000 yards) field-of-view is somewhat narrow, but appears clear and deep.

Taking the magnification higher, the optical quality predictably declines. At full 15x zoom, the field-of-view shrinks to 183 feet at 1000 yards, and significantly less light passes through, leaving objects conspicuously darker by contrast. Nevertheless, the higher magnification can reveal details that are not visible at 7x, provided that the user has a very steady hand and good eyes to begin with.

The zoom function itself is intuitive and simple, completed with a quarter-turn of the collar that frames the right eye cup. The instruction manual recommends beginning at full zoom, then drawing back. This way, less refocusing is required. I prefer to begin with the full field-of-view, increasing magnification if desired. It is entirely possible to increase from 7x to 15x without losing sight of an object, but some refocusing is required once the desired magnification has been reached.

Relative to price, I am quite pleased with the Bushnell Powerview binocular. It fits comfortably in a small pocket in my golf bag, and provides excellent views at lower magnifications. I am, as yet, unsure what value to place upon the zoom feature. Whether it will be of use to you depends upon how you weigh the relative importance of magnification versus light-gathering capacity. While the zoom feature is somewhat amusing, consumers in search of a quality optical instrument will find a nice, standard compact to be a superior purchase.

PRO'S:
- Optics at lower magnification are crisp, clear, and bright.
- Size: fits comfortably in a large pocket.
- Appearance: well-designed reverse porro compact.
- Eye Relief: Fold-down rubber eye-cups make viewing through sunglasses (and presumably eyeglasses) possible.

CON'S:
- Optics at higher magnification are darker and more difficult to focus.
- Not comfortable for extended viewing.
- No objective lens covers.
11 comment| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2012
I wanted a pair of binoculars that were light enough for carrying on hikes and powerful enough for some good bird watching and nature viewing. These fulfill those objectives just fine but lack the quality that I am accustomed to with Bushnell products. I suppose they offer them at a lower price for that reason but I am a little disappointed. The main problem is the lack of precision engineering. They tend to be stiff, difficult to open, the zoom lever doesn't move easily and you have long lost your subject by the time you manage to adjust it. I might note that my first set from amazon was defective. One of the internal prisms or lens were mounted crookedly and I had to return them for another pair. I hope that Bushnell decides to use a better quality inspection system with their Chinese made products before their reputation suffers.
on June 17, 2007
It would be tough to find better binoculars for the same price. I bought these for safari in Africa and they worked well. I especially liked the zoom feature. With just a high-power binocular, it's hard to find what you're looking for. With these, you find what you want at 7X, then zoom in.

I would have liked to have had a slightly more powerful binocular in a few places (maybe 25X), but overall they were great. We were able to get close enough to most animals to see them well with the binoculars. They were still bright enough even on a cloudy day, which can be a problem for compact binoculars. Best of all, they're cheap enough that you don't have to worry too much about damaging or losing them.

I was planning on selling mine when I got back, but I'm going to keep them.
on April 6, 2012
This is a great mid grade set of binoculars. For those of us that don't ever like to buy junk anything this is the pair to get. I always buy at least mid grade and it can sometimes be difficult to discern which brand/model that is. Binoculars are available in such a diversity of styles and prices that it's easy to feel like you aren't making the most informed buying decision. I looked around for an hour or so before settling on these. I got them today and I was very pleased and impressed with them. The binoculars are well made and definitely have a sturdy built feel in your hand. They have a light rugged hard shell that isn't plasticy or cheap feeling at all. They were easy to use with intuition right out of the box. This model has a zoom feature which I really felt added to the versatility. When you don't know what you are going to be doing with something in the future it's nice to know the product can adapt to the need. Also included is a lens cloth, carry strap, carry pouch, and rubber eye caps. There is no cap for the objective front lens. The strap, pouch, and lens cloth are all high grade continuing the tone set by the binoculars themselves. It all fits together in the pouch and is compact and ready to be on the move. I'm glad I didn't get stadard size binoculars after handling these. Compact is the way to go unless you know you need big ones. If you are on the fence about a couple of pairs this is the one to get hands down. You won't be disappointed. They are well worth their retail price. The great price on Amazon is icing on the cake.
on February 25, 2010
Great quality, clarity, and ease of use make this a top choice for someone who is looking for a compact quality-built pair of binoculars. The zoom feature is impressive because it can zoom with full clarity on objects as close as 6 feet away (maybe closer haven't tried).

They are smaller and lighter than expected and come with a nice soft case and adjustable neck strap.

Follow the instructions for focusing on objects, practice a bit and before long you will be impressed at the quality and clarity of these babies.

We bought these in the original plastic bag (no outer box) in 'as new condition' for a steal of $25 and change (shipping included). Would have paid twice the price. They list for $68.75 on the Bushnell factory website (not $50 as listed on this site.

Very happy and glad we bought Bushnell.
on October 6, 2008
The fact that it is a 7 to 15X optical Zoom binocular makes this $40 item a bargain. Bushnell has good optics. This pair is very light weight. It has a small size and small case to go with it. Everybody needs a set for sports or birdwatching or sightseeing on a trip. Buy it.
on June 23, 2014
They weren't kidding when they said "compact". These binocs are way smaller than I expected (which I consider a plus): roughly 4-inches wide and 4.5 inches long. And very light. You could hang these from your neck for hours. But they do the job very well for things like casual bird watching or casually reading the license tags on cars from half a block away, or casually spying on some delivery person because (like Lidia from Sopranos) you have some baseless reason to think somebody's up to something (ha ha). If you're new to binoculars be sure to read the instructions about zooming and focusing because I discovered I was using the zoom like a focus and the focus like a zoom--which makes it very difficult to get a good look at your target. There's also a left eye adjustment thing and you can read about that too.

You'll have to attach the neck strap yourself, but this shouldn't be a problem unless you find opening breakfast cereal boxes to be a serious challenge.
on August 6, 2014
Before buying I read a ton of reviews on several different binoculars. After narrowing down the product that would fit our needs (bird/wildlife watching), we went to a local store to see these before buying. What I received was just as good as what was in the store, just about $10 bucks cheaper. These are very easy to use, zoom feature works well, focus sharply, have a wide range of view options (narrow to wide eyes), and overall seem like a good, budget friendly pair of binoculars. I loved that it also came with a case, protectors for the lenses, and a cleaning cloth. These were a great buy....we are very satisfied with our purchase!
on January 7, 2009
This binocular is light and compact. The optics are good, focusing is smooth. The adjustment of magnification 7 to 15 times, is a bit tight and bumpy. I usually live it half way, at 10 magnification, also not to decrease the luminosity at the higher power. I have another compact binocular, a Nikon with fixed power of 10. I would rate it better than this one, but it is more expensive. The Bushnell is clear and sharp and does what it is supposed to do. Great binocular for the price, but if you don't need the zoom, stick to a solid, simple, 10 power unit.
on January 2, 2015
First set came damaged but Amazon made it right by sending a new set as soon as I contacted them. Dropped the damaged set off at UPS and that was it.

These are okay, they lack the ability to grab light like a bigger objective lens can but the compactness of the glasses makes up for this. Overall these are good for traveling and the zoom is nice.

Update;

After some real use, these are a good compromise between size and being clear. These are clear up to about 8 to 10 power then the become harder to focus and hold still, this is more obvious as you zoom closer to 15 power. Since these are small they are hard to hold still at higher power and since they have a small front objective lens the image starts to become darker and darker as you zoom in. At power 9 and above this becomes more and more noticeable.

Still for the small size and the ability to zoom in these are great, I would buy them again.