Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on July 19, 2011
Overall the product was great. I was buying it for bowhunting, gunhunting, range shooting and golf. The different modes for bows and guns are super cool. Before the lovefest (see below) I will start with the semi negative things I would have liked to know before buying:

A few caveats:

1. I wear both glasses and contacts and it works well with each, but I definitely prefer putting it all the way up to my eye with or without contacts. There is a much larger field of view that way. Glasses wearers, be aware of that.

2. I can't quite figure out the design of the neckstrap. Hooking it up to the unit is like any other lanyard, but the head hole itself has another two loop design, and I can't find anything about it online. Small gripe; I may just be stupid, and I can still use the strap.

3. It only gives readouts in whole yards. I have seen other range finders that give it to tenths of yards. This doesn't make a difference to me, but I was expecting the decimal.

4. The 1000 yard range is somewhat optimistic. Bow mode only goes out to 99 yards (understandably). However, to get a range beyond 800 yards in the other modes, the target must be highly reflective. In central and eastern Kentucky, we don't have many 1000 yard patches of flat space around, so it isn't a big deal, but again I would like to know that.

Regardless of these things, I gave it 5 stars for a reason:

You get a three way readout with line-of-sight distance from lens to target, the angle of that line of sight (+/- x degrees), and in bow mode you get a compensated distance (the target is 30 yards away, but given the angle you should aim as if it were 25 yards to be right on it) and in gun mode it gives you bullet drop (aim 25 inches high). The gun mode accounts for distance, angle and the type of bullet you are shooting. There is a list available on the disk in the box with the rangefinder where you find the exact round you are firing, including brand, caliber, type, and grain and it tells you which preset it corresponds to (A-J). This includes muzzleloader settings as well. There are thousands of rounds available on this list. If you buy your ammo at a sporting goods store or department, you can find it on the list. There is also a regular mode without any angle readout, but aren't you buying the ARC version of the scout for a reason? :)

Additionally, you can toggle between two settings where you can scan across an area, and the Scout will only range the farthest object you hit or the closest. Example: there is a deer you can see through a tree branch, but you cannot get the sight only on the deer and keep hitting the tree--in this mode you just scan along the body of the deer and although your laser also hits the tree branch, the Scout knows only to give you the range of the farthest object. Conversely, at a distance if you see a deer in front of a backdrop of trees or land, but the deer is too small to keep the aim on, you can scan on the deer and even if you slip off of it, only the range of the closest object (the deer) will be reported.

The optics are very clear. The 5x magnification is a good distance, and the focus control works nicely. The ranging works even better in low light than in brighter conditions. You can easily switch to meters (and centimeters in bullet drop) for all the metric fans out there. I grew up using yards, so despite the logic of the metric system, I keep using it when shooting.

All of this met my needs, and at a price of USD$240, I don't think you can beat it.
22 comments| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2010
I tried to compare this item to a nikon 440 I already own. Beyond 250 yards in brushy terrain there is no comparison. Bushnell wins hands down. In good light it will accurately range hard objects out to 850 yards.
on August 18, 2010
This is my first year out bowhunting (Elk in the Rockies) and I wanted a range finder for it. After doing some research I thought I had it narrowed down to the Nikon Archers Choice or the Bushnell BowHunter "Chuck Adams" edition. I went into the local Bass Pro Shop to get my hands on them and to my surprise both were complete crap compared to the Scout 1000 Arc. I could sit here and go through all the reasons why the Scout 1000 is a better choice but you'd be better off doing your own hands-on comparison. I got a killer deal on it too $230.00 shipped to my door. Bass Pro Shop had it for $249.00 + tax after mail-in $50 rebate. Just checked today and the seller I bought it from raised the price to $274.00 go figure?

Do your research then put your hands on them before you buy, you'll be glad you did.
on October 18, 2011
I got one just before hunting season, used it for half a day and it quit working. Sent it in for repair and got another 5 weeks later and it did not work right out of the box! Now have to send the second one in and the hunting season will already be over. Consider getting a different, more reputable brand, hopefully Made in USA! This was made in China.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 22, 2012
What is in the box

Rangefinder
Carry case
Lanyard

Setup

A flip out latch turns counterclockwise to remove the CR123 battery cover. Place the battery into the compartment, positive side down, and close the latch. This is more convenient than older models that required a coin or thumbnail to open. It's also more secure than the predecessors.

Construction

The ergonomics of this rangefinder are excellent. It's coated with rubber and has a tacky feel which works great in humidity and rain. The device is waterproof to a degree. The button on the top of the unit is also protected with a rubber housing. The option button on the side is easy to push. This can probably take a couple of hard knocks onto grass, but not a rocky terrain or concrete. It even accommodates for a bipod/tripod, if you wish.

Use

The lens is crisp and a 5x magnification is very good in spotting targets. I use my rangefinder for target shooting in the rifle, shotgun, and handgun genre. If an object is reflective, it will work out to 1000 yards. If not, this works out to about 600-800 yards depending upon light, cloud conditions, and color of your target.

What attracted me most to this particular model over the other brands is the lower range of shooting. It goes to as close as 5 yards, unlike others that have a minimum distance of 10 yards. I set up targets at combat distances from 5 to 25 yards and this does just what I need to set up.

Upgrading from a Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout from about 5-6 years ago, I have noticed the acquisition of readings is much faster. If you're contemplating upon getting an UPGRADE from older models, this can convince you to do so. The other feature is the slope information. I shoot out to 250 yards, and the slope helps me make just the right drop for various firearms that don't have the velocity without a proper compensation of bullet drop.

The menu system allows toggling between yards and meters. You can also use this for bow or rifle.

Who is this for?

Design 9/10
Construction 10/10
Value 10/10
Features 10/10

Verdict

Two thumbs up.

Bushnell has created a winner that tops laser rangefinders that cost more. The size, features, range, and operation make this a solid choice.
on May 5, 2009
accurate, easy to use, still on the same batteries (after a year of use)
WIll buy it again if I lose the one I have !!
on May 16, 2013
This item worked once and after that it stopped.I changed the battery twice still didn't work.When i got in touch about the warranty i got no satisfaction what so ever. So its sitting in my room on a shelf doing nothing, a complete waste of money. Extremely disappointing.Will never ever even contemplate buying any Bushnell product again
on April 15, 2013
Bought this range finder a couple years ago and used it sparingly only during hunting seasons, and faithfully removed the battery when it was not in use and stored this unit properly. Recently I went to use it and all options within the view finder illuminated at once and the range finding functionality didn't work. I then sent the unit in for repairs (in January) and the CPU Board was deemed to be faulty and it was determined to cost more to repair than to replace by Bushnell. I then ordered a replacement unit with a marginal discount (like $10 cheaper than amazon's listed price for a new unit) from their Customer Service folks and am still waiting to receive this replacement unit (mid-April). The current estimate I have receive is that it will be about another month before my replacement unit ships due to the Bushnell corporate policy of prioritizing retailers orders over their existing customers repair orders.

While the product itself performed as expected (while it worked), the lack of concern and/or support from their Customer Service leaves a lot to be desired, and I would highly recommend that you consider buying from a different company simply due to the piss poor Support that they offer. If their products don't break then there is no problem, but if something needs to be repaired then plan on shelling out nearly the cost of a new unit.
on October 4, 2011
2 new batteries in one month. Bow season has started here in Missouri and went to use mine and yes again it is dead. Can not trust this one again. Guess I missed out on sending it in also. Can not give me a refund. Recieved July28th from Amazon.com. Bad batch? I don't care! When u pay the price u want to work when needed. This one is a failure. Would buy again.. Have a Nikon I have had for years. Wife likes it still. Anybody want to buy a junk Bushnell Arc 1000?
55 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2016
This finder is advertised to range out to 1000 yards.
It does NOT.

I have yet to get a reading on distances for greater than 400 yards during mid day hours; even when mounted in a stationary position.
At dawn and dusk it does a little better, but not much.
Unfortunately I did not find this out until the one-year Bushnell guaranty period ended.

I contacted Bushnell to see if there was any thing that they could do to help me out.
They recommended that I sell the unit on Craig's list.
WTF?

They then offered to sell me a unit of my choice at 30% off the MSRP.
Read that as the same price that they sell their stuff for on Amazon.

No more Bushnell product for me.