5.0 out of 5 stars Reviews were accurate--Great Product
Overall the product was great. I was buying it for bowhunting, gunhunting, range shooting and golf. The different modes for bows and guns are super cool. Before the lovefest (see below) I will start with the semi negative things I would have liked to know before buying:

A few caveats:

1. I wear both glasses and contacts and it works well with each,...
Published on July 19, 2011 by lilloquacious

1.0 out of 5 stars NO! I got the lemons!
I got one just before hunting season, used it for half a day and it quit working. Sent it in for repair and got another 5 weeks later and it did not work right out of the box! Now have to send the second one in and the hunting season will already be over. Consider getting a different, more reputable brand, hopefully Made in USA! This was made in China.
Published on October 18, 2011 by Galen T. Gokan

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviews were accurate--Great Product, July 19, 2011

A few caveats:

1. I wear both glasses and contacts and it works well with each, but I definitely prefer putting it all the way up to my eye with or without contacts. There is a much larger field of view that way. Glasses wearers, be aware of that.

2. I can't quite figure out the design of the neckstrap. Hooking it up to the unit is like any other lanyard, but the head hole itself has another two loop design, and I can't find anything about it online. Small gripe; I may just be stupid, and I can still use the strap.

3. It only gives readouts in whole yards. I have seen other range finders that give it to tenths of yards. This doesn't make a difference to me, but I was expecting the decimal.

4. The 1000 yard range is somewhat optimistic. Bow mode only goes out to 99 yards (understandably). However, to get a range beyond 800 yards in the other modes, the target must be highly reflective. In central and eastern Kentucky, we don't have many 1000 yard patches of flat space around, so it isn't a big deal, but again I would like to know that.

Regardless of these things, I gave it 5 stars for a reason:

You get a three way readout with line-of-sight distance from lens to target, the angle of that line of sight (+/- x degrees), and in bow mode you get a compensated distance (the target is 30 yards away, but given the angle you should aim as if it were 25 yards to be right on it) and in gun mode it gives you bullet drop (aim 25 inches high). The gun mode accounts for distance, angle and the type of bullet you are shooting. There is a list available on the disk in the box with the rangefinder where you find the exact round you are firing, including brand, caliber, type, and grain and it tells you which preset it corresponds to (A-J). This includes muzzleloader settings as well. There are thousands of rounds available on this list. If you buy your ammo at a sporting goods store or department, you can find it on the list. There is also a regular mode without any angle readout, but aren't you buying the ARC version of the scout for a reason? :)

Additionally, you can toggle between two settings where you can scan across an area, and the Scout will only range the farthest object you hit or the closest. Example: there is a deer you can see through a tree branch, but you cannot get the sight only on the deer and keep hitting the tree--in this mode you just scan along the body of the deer and although your laser also hits the tree branch, the Scout knows only to give you the range of the farthest object. Conversely, at a distance if you see a deer in front of a backdrop of trees or land, but the deer is too small to keep the aim on, you can scan on the deer and even if you slip off of it, only the range of the closest object (the deer) will be reported.

The optics are very clear. The 5x magnification is a good distance, and the focus control works nicely. The ranging works even better in low light than in brighter conditions. You can easily switch to meters (and centimeters in bullet drop) for all the metric fans out there. I grew up using yards, so despite the logic of the metric system, I keep using it when shooting.

All of this met my needs, and at a price of USD$240, I don't think you can beat it.

5.0 out of 5 stars superior, November 13, 2010
This review is from: Bushnell Scout 1000 ARC Laser Range Finder (Sports)
I tried to compare this item to a nikon 440 I already own. Beyond 250 yards in brushy terrain there is no comparison. Bushnell wins hands down. In good light it will accurately range hard objects out to 850 yards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do your homework, August 18, 2010
Adam B (Denver, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bushnell Scout 1000 ARC Laser Range Finder (Sports)
This is my first year out bowhunting (Elk in the Rockies) and I wanted a range finder for it. After doing some research I thought I had it narrowed down to the Nikon Archers Choice or the Bushnell BowHunter "Chuck Adams" edition. I went into the local Bass Pro Shop to get my hands on them and to my surprise both were complete crap compared to the Scout 1000 Arc. I could sit here and go through all the reasons why the Scout 1000 is a better choice but you'd be better off doing your own hands-on comparison. I got a killer deal on it too $230.00 shipped to my door. Bass Pro Shop had it for $249.00 + tax after mail-in $50 rebate. Just checked today and the seller I bought it from raised the price to $274.00 go figure?

Do your research then put your hands on them before you buy, you'll be glad you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact, accurate and fast laser rangefinder, November 22, 2012
Eagle Vision (Southeastern United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
What is in the box

Rangefinder
Carry case
Lanyard

Setup

A flip out latch turns counterclockwise to remove the CR123 battery cover. Place the battery into the compartment, positive side down, and close the latch. This is more convenient than older models that required a coin or thumbnail to open. It's also more secure than the predecessors.

Construction

The ergonomics of this rangefinder are excellent. It's coated with rubber and has a tacky feel which works great in humidity and rain. The device is waterproof to a degree. The button on the top of the unit is also protected with a rubber housing. The option button on the side is easy to push. This can probably take a couple of hard knocks onto grass, but not a rocky terrain or concrete. It even accommodates for a bipod/tripod, if you wish.

Use

The lens is crisp and a 5x magnification is very good in spotting targets. I use my rangefinder for target shooting in the rifle, shotgun, and handgun genre. If an object is reflective, it will work out to 1000 yards. If not, this works out to about 600-800 yards depending upon light, cloud conditions, and color of your target.

What attracted me most to this particular model over the other brands is the lower range of shooting. It goes to as close as 5 yards, unlike others that have a minimum distance of 10 yards. I set up targets at combat distances from 5 to 25 yards and this does just what I need to set up.

Upgrading from a Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout from about 5-6 years ago, I have noticed the acquisition of readings is much faster. If you're contemplating upon getting an UPGRADE from older models, this can convince you to do so. The other feature is the slope information. I shoot out to 250 yards, and the slope helps me make just the right drop for various firearms that don't have the velocity without a proper compensation of bullet drop.

The menu system allows toggling between yards and meters. You can also use this for bow or rifle.

Who is this for?

Design 9/10
Construction 10/10
Value 10/10
Features 10/10

Verdict

Two thumbs up.

Bushnell has created a winner that tops laser rangefinders that cost more. The size, features, range, and operation make this a solid choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, May 5, 2009
This review is from: Bushnell Scout 1000 ARC Laser Range Finder (Sports)
accurate, easy to use, still on the same batteries (after a year of use)
WIll buy it again if I lose the one I have !!

1.0 out of 5 stars NO! I got the lemons!, October 18, 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Bushnell Scout 1000 Arc LRF, October 24, 2011
This review is from: Bushnell Scout 1000 ARC Laser Range Finder (Sports)
Unit is good in daylight hours only. At dusk and dawn cannot read the display. It would be better if disply was lighted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfect, November 27, 2009
This review is from: Bushnell Scout 1000 ARC Laser Range Finder (Sports)
bought it as a range finder for bow hunting and golf and I have used it for both and have had great results. Easy to use, light weight and perfect range everytime.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor low light no rebate, October 21, 2012
This review is from: Bushnell Scout 1000 ARC Laser Range Finder (Sports)
The rangefinder does not perform very well in low light conditions due to the black lcd readings. Sometimes when depressing the button no reading will be taken need to depress it multiple times in order for it to take a single reading even though the crosshairs display as if it will take a reading.

I bought this due to the dual use of bow and gun ranging and for the excellent 50 dollar rebate which I just received a refusal for despite cutting the entire upc off the bottom of the box and having stapled it to the rebate form. Never had a rebate refused so not sure if I have any recourse other than to inform others of their sketchy behavior on rebates and stop buying and recommending Bushnell products forever.

Here is a tip for Bushnell if you do not wish to pay rebates don't offer them. So now I have to replace this rangefinder and a Bushnell scope from last year I want nothing further to do with this company. I am clearly angry so disregard this review if you wish. But don't buy this thinking you are going to get your rebate even if you follow the instructions to the letter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, Great Value, February 11, 2011
This review is from: Bushnell Scout 1000 ARC Laser Range Finder (Sports)
I purchased this product for my husband for Christmas. I placed the order and received it in within 5 days of the order. Two days after the rangefinder was received it went on sale for less than I had paid for it. I placed a call to Amazon and they credited me the difference because it had been within the time frame guarantee of the order that it had gone on sale. I was well pleased for the superb customer service. Now the product- My husband was thrilled with it and has nothing but wonderful things to say about it, we have been deer hunting, coyote hunting, crow hunting and it works great. I would reccommend this product to anyone who hunts or golfs for that matter. It is accurate. Amazon has a GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE STAFF in Washington State that I am well pleased with.

Bushnell Scout 1000 ARC Laser Range Finder