5.0 out of 5 stars A steal!
Face it, at this price point, for any 10 X 50 under $100, you aren't going to get superior optics, but I'm blown away with this pair of binocs.

Published on August 31, 2011 by John B. Goode

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk
Well...mine look slightly different than the binocular pictured. But the specifications, description and model number are all the same. Hopefully, what is pictured is a vast upgrade from the junk in my possession.
Published 16 months ago by Jimmy Wing

5.0 out of 5 stars A steal!, August 31, 2011
This review is from: Tasco Essentials 10x50Binocular (Electronics)

First of all, look at the price. This is the cheapest pair of 10 X 50's which isn't a toy. Tasco doesn't have a great reputation for great optics and ironically part of that reputation comes from selling binoculars which are under $100! But then, you can't expect budding enthusiasts to shell out $1000 for a new pair of binocs for something they don't know if they'll like or not.

What I can say is that I've tested this against a few pairs of binocs under $100 and this is definitely the best pair so far, bar none, and it's the cheapest pair. The optics are sharp, it was easy for me to focus and it isn't too heavy. It comes with a thin neck strap, a cleaning cloth (which I won't use) and a nice but thin case. I won't worry about the accessories too much because they're just extras.

Update: I continue to be very happy with this pair of binocs, using it for anything from stargazing to birdwatching. First, for stargazing, this is 10X power so I'm mainly using to it look at constellations and the optics are very sharp. There is no reflection of any kind inside, even with lights outside, so it's very good for that. For birdwatching, I'm amazed at the clarity and sharpness of the lens. It brings the objects in view very close and without any distortion. I just love this pair of binocs, I strongly recommend this for anyone looking for a 10X50 pair of binocs.

Update, July 2014: 3 years later I'm still loving it. Mainly using it to look at wildlife now. Was using it to look at fireworks on July 4th! I've taken good care of it and everything still works great.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, not just the price, November 19, 2010
We own a pair of very compact ZEISS 8x20 binoculars, with all plastic housing,
but the optics, in comparison to the 10x50 TASCO, is "all glass", so we hope.
The price ~ $450.-

The TASCO "10x50" at less than 10% of that price, beats the compact ZEISS for both
night-time viewing (which is to be expected with 4 times more light coming into the eye)
and for daytime viewing. It beats it "HANDS DOWN". Note though, the TASCO "10x50"
is of course much heavier and larger.

We have not (yet?) seen any problems with the TASCO plastic parts. Alignment of the optical
axis is good, the focus drive is smooth. The lenses show no disturbing chromatic and
spherical aberration. The field of view, 122m at 1000m, is exceptional!
(For comparison on older "East German Army" surplus which we had
previously owned featured the same 122m for an 8x (not 10x) magnification.)

I am giving the TASCO only 4 stars because of the expected lack of "field-worthiness".
But then we do not expect to do alligator watching in a humid Northern Australia swamp.
For $2,000, i.e. the cost of professional quality binoculars, I can buy decades' worth
of 10x50 TASCOS. Good enough for us.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, May 18, 2013
These are very poorly constructed. The eyepieces can easily be wobbled around with the touch of a finger. In fact, the whole eyepiece assembly is slack. Lubricating grease oozes from where moveable parts are joined; you can even hear it when you adjust the inter-pupillary distance. The lens covers come off too easily.

Focus and the diopter adjustment work well enough, and there is decent eye relief. The lenses are fully coated (which sounds better than it is), but they could be brighter. They do have a wide FOV, 367'. They're lightweight and comfortable to hold. But none of this matters if the slightest bump throws them all out of whack. If they weren't so shabbily manufactured, they would be adequate for casual use. They come in a blister pack, so there is no way to test them out.
I have to give these a grade of about D, and suggest they belong in the $15 to $20 price range. They were a gift, or I would not own them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine binoculars for the price, June 11, 2011
This review is from: Tasco Essentials 10x50Binocular (Electronics)
The key phrase in my review title is "for the price." They are not really that great overall. If you are looking for good binoculars, you will need to spend some money and get something else. But if you want some quite decent binoculars that you can toss into a bag and not worry too much about, this will do the job. I wanted some super cheap binoculars and the 10x25s worked great for me. The great thing is that for the cost of children's play binoculars I was able to get some that a grown up could use. Are the optics perfect? Nope. I notice some mild distortion along the edges, but nothing impossible to work with. I liked these well enough that I might consider getting the 10x50s.

These are what they are: nice but very inexpensive binoculars. If you want serious binoculars there are lots of good alternatives, but they are all going to cost a heck of a lot more money.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent for nature and bird watching, June 14, 2011
You can not go wrong with these binoculars. For about 30 dollars these things compair to a much more expensive pair. They do there job and are easy to use! Even comes with its own case! Would buy again and again!! Worth the money and no worries about dropping or lossing! That the way it should be just enjoy! Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy for the money., January 17, 2009
Martin V. Hanson (Jacksonville, AL USA) - See all my reviews
I bought these binoculars for use as a beginning backyard astronomer. They seem to be a good bargin for the price. Focus at all ranges is fast and images at all ranges are clear and crisp with no blurring. This is true both for landscape and celestial observing. Images are perhaps not quite as bright as they would be with a Nikon or Leupold, but for the money, they're a great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Solid For the Money!, December 20, 2010
I am new to backyard astronomy, so definitely not an expert on binocualars or using them for astronomical viewing. So take my comments as coming from the average Joe. That said, for the money, it's hard for me to imagine anything better than these binoculars. For terrestrial viewing, these are suberb - the detail and clarity is amazing. The focus mechanism is simple and really allows you to hone in on your subject. For astronomical viewing, I would probably give them a 4 on a 5 point scale. They work great - but they may not produce as bright an image as some other binoculars (still - you'd have to pay LOTS more in order to do so). My first night using them I swear I saw Mars as a big bright red spot on the horizon in the early evening sky - and I would point them to what I thought were barren areas of the sky and suddenly see clusters of stars not visible to the naked eye. This is impressive, as I live in suburban Chicago, so it's hard to really get a dark night for the stars to pop at all, binoculars or not. I'm guessing in the countryside away from the city's big lights they would produce stunning vistas of the sky on a clear night. I can't wait to find out. I'm sure you could find better binoculars (at much higher price tags mind you), but overall I am giving them a 5 based on the fact that they are very good quality for such an affordable price - opening up the world of astronomy to those on a budget. What a gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!, January 10, 2011
Troy I. Morrison "seriousswinger" (Marrero, Louisiana United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tasco Essentials 10x50Binocular (Electronics)
This model is definitely the best binocular that I have ever used and owned. I have gone through a few. The size and weight are both good. The focus, light and clarity are absolutely the best I've ever had. I allowed many people to use them and they have all said that these are the best they have ever used. I have use them prodominetly for viewing sport activities (football/basketball games) and they are a must to have when trying to close to the field of action.
Beyond pleased with this item!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for astronomy, priced right! See the Pleiades, Moon and More!, November 11, 2011
These are perfect for astronomy. Large aperture, good optics, perfect price! Very rugged, comes with a neoprene case, and tight fitting dustcaps. Love the fold down rubber eyecups for use with my glasses. Highly recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and miss, July 21, 2011
The first two binoculars were flawed. The first had a plastic burr in the lens which created a black line when looking through them. Sent them back for exchange. The next pair, the whole entire lens on the left was disconnected. Amazed me. Send those back and finally received a new pair. Very happy but lucky I guess.

Tasco Essentials 10x50Binocular