Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Ty Dolla Sign egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

on August 26, 2010
It might help everyone better understand these reviews of optical devices if reviewers would mention whether they wear eyeglasses or contact lenses. Evaluation of optical devices depends on whether the reviewer is looking through another set of lenses. If you wear glasses, please share the strength in diopters, and whether there is an astigmatic or cylindrical correction. Please mention if you wear bifocals or trifocals, and the strength of the reading areas.

Overall, I found these Bushnell Xtra-Wide 4x30 Binoculars to be a good value. I use them to watch opera.

On a recent trip, these binoculars worked well. I saw six opera performances, in three different opera houses, sitting at various distances from the stage.

This was a 3,000 mile road trip, and these Bushnell binoculars seemed to be fairly durable. They survived the packing and unpacking, and the vibration and jostling of car travel. Of course, I did not do any deliberate drop or impact testing! They also survived the summer heat soak test, packed in the parked car.

The physical size and weight of these binoculars was not a problem for me, although some might find their size uncomfortable, since these Bushnells are significantly larger than traditional opera glasses. But they are light enough to carry easily, along with an umbrella and water bottle. (This was a long, HOT, summer road trip.) The 4X magnification is a bit stronger than the traditional 3X of opera glasses. However, the field of view IS significantly wider than the smaller, traditional opera glasses. The extra magnification did not make the image more unstable, that is, shaky or jittery. I prefer these Bushnells to the traditional opera glasses.

Because these "bins" are larger than average, I was concerned that the opera houses might suspect that these Bushnells were a pair of digital camera binoculars, and object to their use. But no one said anything. Ushers WERE asking people to put away any cameras. Photography IS prohibited. (Here are examples of camera binoculars and camcorder binoculars: BinoCatch 4x28 Digital Binoculars w/Built-In Digital Camera/Camcorder Bushnell ImageView 10x25 VGA Digital Camera Binocular Celestron VistaPix 8x32 3.1 Megapixel Binocular/Digital Camera w/LCD (Champagne Gold) )

There is only one drawback. These Bushnell "bins" have no focus adjustment. I wear "no-line" continuously variable bifocals, that vary from minus 2.5 diopters for distance to zero diopters for reading, with a tiny correction for astigmatism. I found that I can get perfect focus by sliding these Bushnell bins to the right spot in my eyeglass lenses. If you wear glasses that are single focus, lined bifocals, or trifocals, these Bushnell binoculars might not work for you. Your results might possibly be unsatisfactory, depending on the prescription strength and design of your eyeglass lens.
on January 11, 2009
We own three pair of these great wide-field binoculars. Almost everyone sitting near us whom we lend these to, even for just a few moments during opera and ballet events, ask where they can buy a pair of their own. Enough said!
on February 15, 2012
These are not 30mm x 4 times binoculars.
There are 30 mm "window panes" (nothing optical)in front of the REAL 22mm objectives.
These are truly (in reality) 22x4 binoculars with a 5.5mm (measured) exit pupil.
The package documentation comes in English, French, Spanish and German.
Only the German documentation says "22x4" all the others say "30x4" guess is that the German laws are stricter than US, French, Latin countries.
These are not unresonable binoculars but they are extremely expensive at THIS price.
Save your time and money.
I suggest the 6x30mm Leupold BX-1 binoculars...A REAL (30mm x 6 times) with 5mm (measured) exit pupil. I bought them both....I recommend the Leupold...I can not recommend the Bushnell.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 23, 2010
I bought these to bring to three Broadway shows. The 4x power is perfect for that, and the wide view is great because you can view the whole width of the stage without moving the binoculars around. The only problem during a Broadway show is that the binoculars are a bit bulky. For a Broadway show, a smaller, more compact, 4x opera glasses might be better. The focus is very sharp, which is better than expected with a focus-free binocular. The focus-free is nice because I could pass it around to others in my party, then they just put them up and viewed without having to fool around with focusing.

Once football season starts, I think these will be great. I go to several football games a year, and usually get the crappy noise-blead cheap seats. These will be great for those seats. I used to bring 8x binoculars to the games, but they are to high powered and only let you see a single player, not really see overall game play. So these should be perfect for that. Also, the somewhat bulky size of the binoculars won't be a problem at a football game, the way they are a Broadway show.

I also took these up to the top of the Empire State building, and everyone said they where much better than using the coin-operated binoculars on the observation deck. They gave a great overall view of the city.

Focus is very sharp in the center, and a little less sharp at the edges. But I am very happy with the focus-free binoculars. They also come with a nice case, and a small scratch-free cleaning cloth for the lenses.

Nice overall value. I would give 5 stars if they were a bit more compact. So, I'm knocking a star off due to them being a bit to bulky for theater use. But for stadium use, they would be 5 stars.
on November 1, 2007
This product works great for stadium viewing of all types of events. I especially wanted it to view football games and the field of vision is so wide it allows me to see everything from sideline to sideline. The only way this product could be better is if they could make a higher power magnification with the same field of vision.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 15, 2008
Theese wide angled binoculars let you see the whole stage not just a single spot. They are great. We own two of them.
on April 19, 2009
I bought this binocular based on recommendation of earlier reviews and I have to admit that they were right. 4x30 seem kind of weak in term of magnification but for what it was designed for this binocular is excellent. You get to see more in a given area than standard 8x20 binocular and you don't have to worry about focusing.

Initially I thought this binocular was very bulky but I was quickly won over on how comfortable it was holding it. This is the binocular to carry when you are going to air show, concert, and sports viewing.
on May 30, 2013
Purchased Bushnell 4x30 Ultra wide binoculars May, 2013. I wear eyeglasses for distance viewing, so I was not sure what to expect from the auto-focus feature. Found the auto focus to be very well tuned to my eyes. The VERY wide field of view is wonderful, but a little disconcerting. While panning with these binos, one gets a slight feeling of looking through a fisheye, meaning the center of the field of view is very clear while the edges of the field of view seem to move in and out of focus. I'm sure this is a result of the optics required to generate the incredibly wide field of view. I own several binoculars from image stabilizing to 100mm astronomical binos. I consider these 4x30 Utra Wides to be a valuable addition to my group. My one bone to pick with Bushnell, which prevents my giving them 5 stars, is the neck strap. It does not fit the strap attachment points. Kind of funny for the Bushnell labeled strap to be so wide, one cannot force it through the strap loops. This strap is bound for the trash can while I look for an after market strap that fits the built-in loops.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 25, 2013
I had read the reviews of this binoc and found them intriguing and decided to give them a try. I've owned lots of binoculars, from the cheapest up to the Nikons made in Japan, and found most of them lacking in any number of areas. But I honestly have to say these Bushnells are the most usable and enjoyable for the money that I've ever used. I was leery about the fact that they do not have a focus wheel but this may be their biggest advantage - they really work - your eyes do the focusing and it doesn't matter if you wear glasses or not. The eyecups fold down neatly and I can see 95% of the available field with my glasses on. Those of you who don't wear glasses are in for a treat as the FOV is expansive. The binocs will be in focus to a fairly close range (20 ft?) to infinity. The other bonus for these binoculars is the limited power (4X). This eliminates one of the most bothersome things about ordinary binoculars - image shake. There is very little shake with 4 power and it makes viewing through them a joy. Even with the low power I was able to spot sails over the horizon while at sea. Can't recommend these binocs more and will be getting a second pair.
on October 13, 2013
These developed a permanent fog in one lens about 32 days after purchase, just outside the warranty period. It's apparent that the lens was not properly sealed, and the binoculars are now essentially useless.