Published 22 months ago by Jay Goltz

2.0 out of 5 stars Wordy with some pearls
I bought 2 copies but was very disappointed. This was a a difficult read and wordy. I felt as it it was a rush job and wish I could return the books. Nonetheless it taught me a very good lesson. Don't believe the hype of advance praises, even if it was posted on the WSJ.
Published 18 months ago by Marc Foo

5.0 out of 5 stars I now understand why I am a successful entrepreneur, but not a uber-successful one!, March 24, 2013
This review is from: Business Brilliant: Surprising Lessons from the Greatest Self-Made Business Icons (Hardcover)
This book has three elements. 1. Very interesting and insightful looks at some very successful businesses. 2. Some insights as to why so many smart, talented, and hard working people never become wealthy. 3. The difference between the beliefs of the successful and the average person. While it was all interesting, I did get some validation that as a successful entrepreneur of 35 years, I in fact do not think like the average person. On the other hand, I do not exhibit or practice all of the habits of the super successful entrepreneurs. While this comes as no surprise, I never really understood what those things were. Now I know! And better yet, I'm O.K. with it! I appreciate the fact that this book is not a "road map to success" sham. It is honest and insightful, and it certainly has many valuable takeaways. Good job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this only if money and success are important to you, March 20, 2013
I cannot recall a more fascinating and insightful book on wealth and success than Business Brilliant. Lewis Schiff clearly lays out the difference between how middle-class people and wealthy people think and act in the areas of money and success. It turns out that self-made wealth isn't "magic," in fact it is largely the result of routine and mundane work. It's just that wealthy people are willing to step out of their comfort zone to follow the money. Middle-class people are not.

One great example is that wealthy people ask. They ask more often, they ask for more and they ask in situations where middle-class people don't - or won't - for fear of looking greedy or feeling uncomfortable. He points out that only 1 in 4 people ever ask for more money when hired for their first job. Yet, 9 out of 10 employers are willing to pay more if (and only if) the employee asks.

This book not only offers a map to wealth - it gives you (in the last chapter) 17 very specific and actionable steps. It is well written and full of great stories.

Everyone who wants to be wealthy or wealthier should read this book. It is empowering and it certainly helped to liberate me from my long-held, middle-class beliefs that I now know have cost me quite a bit of money in the past. Not anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Actionable insight I can apply to my business, March 20, 2013
I have been waiting for this book to be released. As an entrepreneur who is focused on mastering business, I firmly believe "Success leaves clues" and one of the best ways is to model ourselves after great business successes. This book reveals how ultra-successful business icons actually think and sets it out in actionable principles and steps. I took copious notes as I read through the book which remain on my desk to refer to constantly. Lewis's writing style makes it easy to read this book while at the same time learning how to be "business brilliant". I immediately put some of the lessons to work and started experiencing better results because I was able to approach negotiations and business relations in an improved way.

For anyone in business, I think this is a must-read and I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't need to be Brilliant to be Business Brilliant!, April 24, 2013
This is a book that belongs on the shelf of every entrepreneur (and isn't that all of us these day?) It is thoroughly researched and very well written. I think it is one of those books suited for consulting throughout one's career - during the ups and downs, and the big decision points along the way.

One of the things it does brilliantly is spell out how essentially misled we all are on how to succeed. It's not about hard work (only), it's not about luck (only), or even talent. It's about thinking like successful people think - and how they think will definitely surprise you. It makes a great gift for the recent graduate too!

5.0 out of 5 stars perceptive helpful book for anyone seeking to become more effecftive, April 27, 2013
F. Scott Fitzgerald famously wrote, "Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me."

Lewis Schiff in his new book Business Brilliant tells us exactly how and why the rich are different, based on data derived from questionnaires and illustrated by many fascinating case histories.

The book's life teachings, if learned, would make any reader more effective in their lives, whether or not they achieved great wealth. For example, while it may seem obvious and even hoary, it is still necessary to teach people to ask. Mr. Schiff observes that people don't get what they don't ask for. Of course, they don't always get what they ask for--but never is it bestowed on those who don't ask. If you are always gets what they ask for--you aren't asking for enough.

Seems obvious but illustration after poignant illustration document instances where most of us leave money on the table that would be better in our pocket.

It turns out that wealth is not, as so many believe, the outcome of following shibboleths taught since early age--do what you love and the money will come, save more, spend less, be original, invent etc. No, Mr. Schiff makes a compelling case that the prize goes to the best prepared person doing what they do best with the most focused attitude.

Dispensed wisdom without techniques to follow, while enjoyable and instructive, lacks sustaining power.

Mr. Schiff, in addition to providing a prescriptive framework for success, wisely has included a-how-to-do- it manual which, if utilized, as night precedes the day, must yield great improvement.

There are none who wouldn't benefit in multiple ways by taking Mr. Schiff admonitions and lessons to heart and employing the 17 essentials with which he concludes this remarkable book.

Putting my money where my mouth is, I have purchased ten copies and am giving them to friends and family. When they are gone I will buy another ten.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you read one book this year, this is it, April 22, 2014
This is an extremely useful book. Understanding the "how and why" we hold self-limiting beliefs has been incredibly important for me. It's also a very enjoyable book to read.

The style is, "9 out of 10 middle income people believe X, but only 1 in 10 self-made millionaires believe X."

At first, it is not easy to accept the different ways that my thinking was not like the thinking of a self-made millionaire. I had many palms-to-forehead moments. One such moment is the $1,000 per minute idea.

For me, the fallacy of "win win negotiations" was good to read. The author shows how successful business people don't take responsibility for the other side's "winning" in the negotiation. If I give the other party the respect they deserve, and not be paternalistic, they can make their own decisions in negotiations. I am responsible for myself and my business. My colleagues and I constantly refer to the "Least Interested Party" concept. Negotiations are the only time you can potentially earn $1,000 a minute.

There are many such "overturned beliefs" that will help any person working to build their busines and their career. Highly recommended for the solopreneur or business builder.

In a way, the author has given us "permission" to go against ingrained beliefs, and to LEAP for what we want. Very accessible and a friendly read.

I have put these ideas into use in my business, and it has made a huge difference. There is the ongoing temptation to revert to "old beliefs" but Schiff's ideas are clera and memorable, I keep pulling them into my work (and pulling the book off the shelf). When I loaned this book to a frieind, I missed it and couldn't wait to get it back! Lots of sticky notes stuck in my copy ;)

Recommend this wholeheartedly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Road map to success, April 25, 2013
It all seems so common sense makes you wonder why it isn't more natural. Great insight to thoughts of many successful people we know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Audiobook!, April 2, 2014
I have listened to Audiobooks close to 50 hours per week for the last couple of years and I have yet to find anything even close to the caliber of Business Brilliant! I thought the rich dad poor dad series of audiobooks was hard to beat, but business brilliant raises the bar!
Thanks!

Three cheers for unbridled passion!

Bill Johnson
Johnson's family farm
JFFALASKA.COM

4.0 out of 5 stars highly recommend, March 22, 2014
Christopher D. Jones (Fayetteville, NC United States) - See all my reviews
Quick read. Several counter intuitive yet well supported insights. Loved the story and lessons from the JetBlue CEO. Was not familiar with it before this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seven counterintuitive principles that can help you to achieve great success, however you define it, April 18, 2013
According to Lewis Schiff, this book tells "the story of how wealth is created now. It showcases the greatest success stories of our time because that's the way good stories are told." The seven principles for wealth creation identified in this book "are not just about getting rich, although for some readers that's exactly what will happen. They are about realigning our career development practices with the world we live in today." He wrote this book for "the millions of educated and intellectually curious people who have made a good living playing by the rules that might not work for them anymore." This is what Marshall Goldsmith had in mind when suggesting that "what got you here won't get you there" to which I presume to add, "What got you here won't even let you remain here," wherever and whatever "here" may be.

Schiff introduces the Brilliant Business System, one that is characterized by a "synergy" of its various parts. As he explains, "In truth, synergy describes the way complex systems and processes - such as a football play or the way a poison gas combines with an explosive metal to produce extraordinary table salt - can produce outcomes that are unexpected and unrecognizable from their component parts. In a synergistic system, a set of simple and mundane individual factors can interact and affect each other in improbable ways, creating results that can seem breathtaking and - to the uninformed - mysterious in origin."

Rather than list the aforementioned seven principles in this brief commentary, I think they are best revealed within Schiff's lively and eloquent as well as informative narrative, in context. However, I do acknowledge that opinions are divided - sometimes sharply divided - as to whether or not persons of average intelligence and ability can understand those principles, much less apply them effectively. You can form your opinion about that after you read the book.

These are among the dozens of passages that caught my eye, also listed to suggest the scope of Schiff's coverage:

o The Billionaire Busker (Pages 23-26)
o The Peterman Principle (40-43)
o The Wonder Bread Way to Wealth (47-51)
o The Wages of Fear (59-62)
o The Man Who Could Have Been Bill Gates (65-73)
o The Blinding Flash of Genius (87-91)
o "The Ogre of Omaha"(95-100)
o The Least-Interest Principle (117-122)
o The Reciprocity Trap (129-137)
o The Disability Advantage (141-148)
o The Valentine's Day Massacre (165-168)
o The Truth About Failure (176-183)
o Chapter 9: Mastering the Mundane (191-218)

In the last chapter, the ninth, Schiff introduces and explains 17 "Essentials," providing with each "The Technique" to apply it effectively. This chapter - all by itself - is worth far more than the cost of the book. Better yet, the total value of the "Essentials" material is compounded within the context, the frame-of-reference of material in the eight chapters that precedes it. I strongly recommend that Chapter 9 be re-read at least once or twice every month or at least every quarter.

There is no Epilogue or "final thoughts" section to conclude this book. However, I have selected a key passage from the first chapter to conclude this review. Most important, Lewis Schiff affirms, "the seven Business Principles in the coming chapters will help you learn about yourself. You'll see why it's just as important to follow the money as it is to follow the passion" and, better yet, they are NOT mutually exclusive. Indeed, more often than not, as "the greatest success stories of our time" clearly indicate, they are interdependent. "In fact, the book you are holding is the product of all seven of the Business Brilliant principles it explores."

$28.99 $21.04