About This Edition
- Case examples are now highlighted and identified with the label "Case in Point," making it easy to locate, discuss, and refer back to these useful learning tools.
- Included in selected chapters, all-new Shifting Legal Priorities features encourage critical thinking and illustrate how the law is constantly evolving in response to both technological developments and the needs and concerns of society and business, with a special emphasis on sustainability, ethical trends, and changing managerial responsibilities.
- Reviewing features, found at the end of every chapter, now conclude with Debate This! segments that provide a statement or question regarding the chapter material, making it easy to spur class discussion or develop worthwhile written assignments.
- All Shifting Legal Priorities features and selected cases conclude with a short section entitled Managerial Implications, which explores key concepts from a real-world management perspective.
- Coverage of e-contracts; insurance, wills, and trusts; professional liability and accountability; and international law has been relocated and reorganized to better aid student comprehension and provide a more natural sequence of topics.
- A new chapter on mortgages and foreclosures in the wake of the global recession includes material on mortgages, mortgage foreclosure, litigation, mortgage-backed securities, valuation, and what people thought was negotiable.
- Expanded and revised material in several chapters provides more current and complete coverage of cybercrime, securities and corporate governance (especially in light of the global economic crisis), business examples of intentional torts and privacy, Ponzi schemes (including Bernie Madoff), and the role of zoning in real property and landlord-tenant relationships.
- The 12th Edition lives up to this text's strong reputation for outstanding selection and editing of cases, with the return of many classic cases from earlier editions, as well as many new cases and case problems from 2010.
- The current edition has been extensively reorganized, refined, and updated to include coverage of the most recent and significant legal developments and court decisions, as well as to make the material exceptionally accurate and engaging.
Explore additional features of Business Law: Text and Cases - Legal, Ethical, Global, and Corporate Environment (12th Edition).
Explore this title's supplements:
Study Guide for "Business Law: Text and Cases" (12th Edition)
Student Guide to the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (Second Edition)
PART I: THE LEGAL ENVIRONMENT OF BUSINESS. 1. Introduction to Law and Legal Reasoning. 2. Courts and Alternative Dispute Resolution. 3. Court Procedures. 4. Constitutional Authority to Regulate Business. 5. Ethics and Business Decision Making. Part II: TORTS AND CRIMES. 6. Intentional Torts and Privacy. 7. Negligence and Strict Liability. 8. Intellectual Property and Internet Law. 9. Criminal Law and Cyber Crime. PART III: CONTRACTS AND E-CONTRACTS. 10. Nature and Terminology. 11. Agreement in Traditional and E-Contracts. 12. Consideration. 13. Capacity and Legality. 14. Mistakes, Fraud, and Voluntary Consent. 15. The Statute of Frauds-Writing Requirement and Electronic Records. 16. Third Party Rights. 17. Performance and Discharge in Traditional and E-Contracts. 18. Breach of Contract and Remedies. PART IV: DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL SALES AND LEASE CONTRACTS. 19. The Formation of Sales and Lease Contracts. 20. Title, Risk, and Insurable Interest. 21. Performance and Breach of Sales and Lease Contracts. 22. Warranties and Product Liability. 23. International Law in a Global Economy. PART V: NEGOTIABLE INSTRUMENTS. 24. The Function and Creation of Negotiable Instruments. 25. Transferability and Holder in Due Course. 26. Liability, Defenses, and Discharge. 27. Checks and Banking in the Digital Age. PART VI: CREDITORS' RIGHTS AND BANKRUPTCY. 28. Creditors' Rights and Remedies. 29. Secured Transactions. 30. Bankruptcy Law. 31. Mortgages and Foreclosures after the Recession. PART VII: AGENCY AND EMPLOYMENT. 32. Agency Formation and Duties. 33. Agent's Liability to Third Parties and Termination. 34. Employment, Immigration, and Labor Law. 35. Employment Discrimination. PART VIII: BUSINESS ORGANIZATIONS. 36. Sole Proprietorships and Franchises. 37. Partnerships and Limited Liability Partnerships. 38. Limited Liability Companies and Special Business Forms. 39. Corporate Formation and Financing. 40. Corporate Directors, Officers, and Shareholders. 41. Corporate Merger, Consolidation, and Termination. 42. Securities Law and Corporate Governance. 43. Law for Small Business. PART IX: GOVERNMENT REGULATION. 44. Administrative Law. 45. Consumer Law. 46. Environmental Law. 47. Antitrust Law. 48. Professional Liability and Accountability. PART X: PROPERTY AND ITS PROTECTION. 49. Personal Property and Bailments. 50. Real Property and Landlord-Tenant Relationships. 51. Insurance. 52. Wills and Trusts. Appendices. A. How to Brief Cases and Analyze Case Problems B. The Constitution of the United States C. The Uniform Commercial Code [Note: This will be the full UCC] D. The United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (Excerpts) E. The Uniform Partnership Act (Excerpts) F. The Revised Uniform Limited Partnership Act (Excerpts) G. The Revised Model Business Corporation Act (Excerpts) H. The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 (Excerpts and Explanatory Comments) I. Sample Answers for End-of-Chapter Questions with Sample Answer