Published on January 31, 2011 by Kevin

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but way too expensive
This book is required reading for a network management course I am taking. The book is generally informative at maybe a college junior business student level 1st network management course. It is easy to read and discusses some important subjects. I have not finished it yet.

Published on February 28, 2011 by John R. Deal

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but way too expensive, February 28, 2011
This review is from: Business Data Networks and Telecommunications (8th Edition) (Pearson Custom Business Resources) (Hardcover)

The authors do go off on a tangent about writing network speeds correctly which I think is a bit overdone.

The cost of the book is just way too high for me. If it was not required I would not have purchased this book.

In summary, a good interesting read but quite costly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Relevant, interesting, and easy-to-understand for those new to the subject, January 31, 2011
I'm a Computer Information Systems major in my university's business school and took this class the first semester of my senior year. Telecomm is more towards the technical end of our curriculum, but the information I got from this textbook -- and the associated class -- was invaluable. Even though I didn't have a very technical background like most Engineering or Computer Science students probably do, I found the book to be relatively easy to read. It went into sufficient depth that I was able to thoroughly understand the major concepts, but wasn't so comprehensive in the material it covered to the point that I lost sight of the big picture.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible flow to the material, February 26, 2012
Having taught IT undergrads from earlier versions of this text, I'm extremely disappointed with the disjointed flow of the chapters, but also the helter-skelter way things are thrown together within the chapters. One of many, many examples- Early on, you get students just enough into protocols like TCP and UDP, the 5-layer model and such, and then break off into network security and management? Several chapter later you come back to TCP/IP, after new students have forgotten the earlier stuff several chapters earlier. It's crazy, it's confusing, and this edition is not one I want to continue with. And the price is simply insane- you could cut it in half and it would still be overpriced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Received just before my class began., August 31, 2013
I wasn't sure why the book was late. Fortunately, the mail carrier gave the book to my cousin in-law, and she was about to send it back, but my husband saw it when he visited her and brought it with him to the house. I take it the person had to be a sub because the regular mail carrier would have rolled up in the yard and gave it to me. But I was happy to see the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, August 15, 2013
The textbook was in good shape and I like the point that I can order my textbooks and have them send straight to my address this is convenient for me and save on gas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overview, January 12, 2013
some editing mistakes here and there, but a great overview of networking. I worked for Sprint for a number of years and this would have been great to have when I started.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TEXTBOOK, December 5, 2012
Michelle (Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews
I have to say this is one of the best put together textbooks Ive come across so far. The thing I like the most is there isn't a long chapter and then the answers for the review questions are somewhere in the last 65 pages....NOT THIS BOOK, It explains something and then asks some questions. Thanks for listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Flippin Textbook Eva, September 26, 2012
I'm a Computer Science student, one of those students who reads every single book assigned just for the fun of it. Unfortunately, networking was the one field of CS that I knew was going to bury me not only because I walked in with almost no prior knowledge whatsoever but also because it seemed like one of those inherently, mind-bogglingly dry sorts of courses. Perhaps this was why I was so thrilled to open the book and find that is INTERESTING. Is it sarcastic? Yes. Is it conversational? Yes. Is my entire class of 30 slacking smart-alecks reading every page? Yes. We really appreciate authors who get that their audience is human, likely cramming at 2 in the morning, and incapable of swallowing large amounts of incoherent terms and numbers. This is a great textbook if only because I am LEARNING from things like nostalgic memories of the birth of email. The questions throughout the text make perfect sense and reinforce the material well.

To those complaining about the price, I bought it for half this at coursesmart.com, so I have no complaints there.

3.0 out of 5 stars College textbook is okay, but needs some help, January 30, 2012
DeepStar (Nebraska, USA) - See all my reviews
This is a college textbook. The book is decent for understanding the networks and telecommunications. The textbook doesn't provide enough detail/clarity sometimes. Its good, but it seems to flow too fast if you're just learning the subject. The review methods are poor; no assistance is provided by a CD or the online website. It's not work its current prime price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Textbook, February 16, 2011
I purchased this book as it was required reading for a Masters Degree course. I have extensive networking experience, so much of the text is review of items I have forgotten. However, there are new takes on many topics that have been of interest. I like the review questions scattered throughout the chapter instead of all at the end as in most text books. The experiments are well concieved and interesting. The authors also throw a bit of dry humor into the text, which greatly enhances the read. I have read a lot of textbooks over my 40 years since high school, and find this one very good.

Used & New from: $22.00