5.0 out of 5 stars Kathy Peel fans (and others) gotta have this book!
Published on August 8, 2008 by Brandi Briscoe

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful
While I found some of the tips to be things that I already do, I found many more useful tips. Many were things that I thought, "why haven't I figured that out yet?" It just seemed so obvious! LOL This book is filled with lots of useful things to help make running the household much easier. Well, maybe not easier, but less stressful.

One thing I didn't like was...
Published on May 28, 2010 by ham1299

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Kathy Peel fans (and others) gotta have this book!, August 8, 2008
This review is from: The Busy Mom's Guide to a Happy, Organized Home: Fast Solutions to Hundreds of Everyday Dilemmas (Paperback)
If you've read Kathy's books, you know they are based on her Family Manager "system" she created over 10 years ago. If you've hesitated to purchase her recent books thinking they're all the same info., don't hesitate anymore! This is the book I've been waiting for by Kathy. It is organized by the 7 departments she teaches about, and is an excellent reference. It has a great index for quick finds, and is full of great information.

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, May 28, 2010

One thing I didn't like was that I got the impression that Peel thinks the home/kids/family domain are solely the mother's job. That the man works for his family, and that clears him of responsibility on the home front. I'm not sure that's exactly her thoughts, but that was the impression I got. I don't like that. Not one bit. A job is (generally) only 40 hours per week. Maintenance of the home and care for the children is a job that takes 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 52 weeks per year. There is NO WAY I can do it ALL without at least SOME help from my husband! I know that as the kids get older they can help more, but still. What kind of example is it to them if they see Mom working CONSTANTLY around the home, and Dad's always relaxing? They don't generally get to see him AT work, so I don't think it would send a good message if he wasn't doing things around the house.

Anyway, as I said before, overall this was a helpful book filled with a lot of great tips. I will reference it often when tackling various things that I think could use a new approach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got to have it!, September 3, 2008
This book is a must have for moms (or dads)! It is very detailed and organized in such a way to get help for your family managing question quickly. No need to read through the whole book, just use the index in the back to get right to a solution that will help you create an organized and happy home. I love this book!! Thank you Kathy Peel!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for New Homemaker's, August 10, 2010
I have to admit that I skimmed through most of this book as I really didn't find any new (well, new to me!), useful information in the first few chapters that I did read. The chapters are broken down into: Managing Your Time, Managing Your Home, Managing Menus and Meals, Managing Relationships, Managing Your Finances, Managing Special Events and Managing Yourself.

Within each chapter you will find ideas and tips to make each area of your home run more efficiently thus giving you a happy and organized home. This would be a great book for a new homemaker who may feel lost in how to run their home. I have to admit this would have been a perfect gift for me when I got married twenty years ago. Learning something new is always a bonus - but I don't feel like I learned anything new from this book. I've read a lot of books on how to organize my home...it's implementing that knowledge that is where I could use the most help! Hubs would probably agree as clutter control seems to be one of my major issues!

A good how-to reference book for beginner's.

Many thanks to Tyndale House Publishers for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my review. Opinions in this post are solely my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky Moms who ge to read his book, November 3, 2008
Today's moms are busier than ever. Not only do we keep the home fires burning, we do any number of activities outside the home. With jobs, soccer practice, birthday parties, grocery shopping and all the other demands upon our time, we can barely find time to stop for a breath, much less maintain the chaos well enough to enjoy living out our moments.

In The Busy Mom's Guide to a Happy, Organized Home, Kathy Peel has collected hundreds of tips and techniques to simplify daily home life. Organized around the seven key areas of life--Time & Scheduling, Home & Property, Food, Family & Friends, Finances, Special events, and Self Management--she provides a quick reference for time- and mind-saving tips.

Though I tackled this book as a cover-to-cover read (I need a LOT of help), I think it is best digested as a what-can-I-do-to-improve-in-this-area-today resource. Otherwise, what should be a help might become a burden. She has lists and lists of ideas to improve relationships, obedience, chores, grocery shopping, fire safety-you name it. The last thing we need is to be overwhelmed with our obvious failure at picnic hostessing when what we are really concerned with is car-pooling (or in my case, dish duty). Am I right?

I suspect that unless there is a woman out there in complete denial, every woman that picks up this book will find a treasure trove of help for her busy life-stay-at-homers and working moms alike.

Armchair Interviews agrees.

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific resource., June 2, 2010
Holly (United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I don't know of any woman who wouldn't like to be more together and organized in her own home, myself included! I'd heard of Kathy Peel but this is the first book of hers that I've read.

This is a fabulous addition to any home library. I do think it could be a bit overwhelming if you tried to read and implement everything all at once, as it's a dense book, packed with all sorts of information and home management tools. This is a great book for someone just starting out with home organization, and it's also good for someone who has a system in place, but is looking for helps or hints.

My favorite part of each chapter? The Most Important Things to Remember pages. I have come away with so many tidbits of wisdom from those pages. I so need to remember these two morsels specifically, "Don't let the things that matter least to you rob time from the things that matter most." and "The minutes of your day come with a choice: Only you can decide how you'll spend them."

Overall, a terrific resource for anyone wishing to inject some order into their homes and lives.

Thank to Tyndale House Publishers for the opportunity to review this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful for entertaining and home organization, November 18, 2008
The Busy Mom's Guide to a Happy, Organized Home: Fast Solutions to Hundreds of Everyday Dilemmas This Tyndale book by Kathy Peel has a wonderful chapter on entertaining and it includes "10 Steps to an Unforgettable Event" which I found very helpful for planning and implementing gatherings of all types. Sometimes entertaining feels overwhelming to me as the "main planner" or to be honest, "the only planner" and one thing that Peel suggests is "Practice the five-minute maxim"-in other words, watch for snippets of time here and there and during that time, accomplish one thing towards the occasion. Peel also has a great list of all holiday dates. Within the chapter on entertaining is "Nine Entertaining Disasters-and What to do About Them"-another very helpful section.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference for Home Managers, July 17, 2010
I love Kathy Peel's practical writing style and detailed Table of Contents. I greatly appreciate her vulnerability in sharing her own mishaps and learning opportunities. A book like this one could easily leave an exhausted home manager distraught with the feeling of never measuring up. Peel's approachable style and honesty, however, leaves the reader with a "can do" attitude!

The Busy Mom's Guide covers every aspect of home and family management. Peel begins with the basics of time management and then moves on to topics such as managing your home, meal planning, managing relationships and family, finances, special events and even managing yourself. Each chapter is broken down into easy to find sections and helpful forms.

The main critique I would have is that a busy mom could not sit down and quickly get through the nearly 300 pages of information. It would get the best use as a reference book for us busy moms! I love that Peel includes practical forms (such as consent for emergency medical treatment for your kids and general information for babysitters). She provides a great deal of information in easy to read checklist format as well. The back of the book leaves the reader with yet more resources - an appendix of web resources as well as a detailed index.

*Tyndale House Publishers provided this book to me for review. The opinions expressed are my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Busy Mom's Handbook & Survival guide!, May 25, 2010
Review - The Busy Mom's Guide

America's Family Manager Kathy Peel has once more offered us solutions to the many things in our lives that can harangue, excite, and confuse us!

Under seven major categories: Managing Time and Scheduling; Managing Your Home and Property; Managing Menus and Meals; Managing Relationships with Family and Friends; Managing Your Finances; Managing Special Events; and Managing Yourself, Peel affers us solutions that can not only streamline and make our rather busy lives a bit less hectic, but that can simplify our lives in such a manner that we begin to look after the one who is often overlooked in our lives. Ourselves!

Where was Kathy Peel when I was raising my own five children all of those years ago?

I love Peel's quote on the very first page of Introduction: "When you take on motherhood, the world's most important job, there's no formal orientation - just on-the-job training and trial by fire."

Peel asserts that if we look at our job as Mother's, as a JOB, we can more easily and readily hold it all together!

She states: "You oversee an economic institution that includes such services as facility and resource management, meal preparation, child care, education, and transportation, to name a few. Using the strategies and tactics of successful business managers will help you realize your dream for a happy, organized home."

Peel lists ten things we need to know regarding that job:
1. Think like a manager.
2. Manage by department.
3. Know your mission and values.
4. Cast vision and communicate benefits.
5. Build a family team.
6. Create a base of operations.
7. Use a Daily Hit List.
8. Manage according to how you're wired.
9. Be prepared.
10. Lean on God.

Peel gives us
The Family Manager Creed
I oversee the most important organization in the world
Where hundreds of decisions are made daily
Where property and resources are managed
Where health and nutritional needs are determined
Where finances and futures are discussed and debated
Where projects are planned and events are arranged
Where transportation and scheduling are critical
Where team building is a priority
Where careers begin and end
I am a Family Manager

Lastly Peel leaves us with twenty pages of Web Resources to assist us in the organization of our home and our lives.

She never forgets to have us lean and learn from the Head of our Family, our Lord and Savior.

I found this a wonderfu, source of information. And a book that every woman should have on hand! It should be a mandatory read for expecting women! And a handbook for busy Mom's everywhere!

I give this book a hefty 5 stars *****, and I highly recommend it for every home library!

*DISCLOSURE: A copy of this book was received from Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. free of charge for review of the text. All opinions regarding the text included in this review are solely that of the writer. - cbh

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best organizing books out there!, May 24, 2010
Cart (Akron, OH) - See all my reviews
The Busy Mom's Guide to a Happy, Organized Home by Kathy Peel, is exactly what the title says!

Now, for many of you, alot of her organizing concepts for your home and life will be nothing new and profound, but it will still be an encouraging reminder on the efficient way to run your house!
And we all can use that kick in the rear to get there.

Right from the start, Kathy lists the top priorities that should be for everyone of us mom's:

The Most Important Things to Remember

1. People are more important than things.

2. There are no standards but your own. Every family has to decide how clean is clean enough.

3. The more you accumulate, the more you have to clean and maintain -and the more time it takes to do it.

4. When your kids grow up and leave home, they won't remember if the towels were folded in perfect 16-inch squares in the linen closet; they will remember if your home was a good place to be and if Mom was a fun person.

5. If you have a choice between taking a family vacation or buying new furniture, go for the vacation. The furniture will end up in a garage sale one day; the memories of the trip will last forever.

6. Everyone who lives under the roof of a home should contribute to its upkeep.

7. If a teenager is an expert at text messaging, he can become an expert at using the washing machine. A man who can program a PDA to remind him of his tee time can program a PDA to remind him to pick up the dry cleaning.

8. Mess causes stress. Getting your home in order will help you get your life in order.

9. There's no such thing as perfection. Giving up trying to make your home perfect is the first step toward making it a good place to be.

10. The choices you make about your home involve a lot more than wall color and window treatments. Home is where human beings develop. It's a place to restore souls, find shelter from outside pressures, grow support for talents, and receive inspiration, comfort, and aid.

I love her view on life and family, and she and I share many of the same life goals.
(I tell you, we are sister's separated at birth.)

She gives advice and ideas on how to separate and manage your life into 7 key points:

1. Time and Scheduling - managing the family calendar and daily schedule.
2. Home and Property - overseeing the maintenance and care of all your tangible assets.
3. Food - meeting the family food needs of your family.
4. Family & Friends - fulfilling relationship responsibilities as a parent, spouse, and friend.
5. Finances - managing the budget, bill paying, saving, investing, and charitable donations.
6. Special Events - planing and coordinating occasions that fall outside your normal routine.
7. Self Management - caring for your body, sharpening your mind, and nourishing your spirit.

And I love that she has a "command center" in her home, just like I have my "nerve central"!

If you need help in organizing, decluttering, or just managing your time, money, and children, (like we all do), The Busy Mom's Guide to a Happy, Organized Home is filled with tid-bits on every part of your "business".
Running a home is your job, mama...treat it that way!

This book is a mother's dictionary. Point blank and easy to read. Full of how-to lists and checkpoints, Kathy Peel thought of everything.
*Cue the angelic choir and halo*

If you are looking for a catch all book with inspirational ideas and a way to get a few tricks up your sleeves for time-saving strategies, I really recommend reading this book to make your home (and day!) run a little smoother.

(This book was provided to me for review by Tyndale House Publishers.)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›