Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on October 8, 2005
There are plenty of competing slow cooker cookbooks on the market, so what makes The Busy Mom's Slow Cooker Cookbook: More Than 320 Low-calorie, Low-Fat Dishes so special? One factor is the focus on producing one-pot meals the entire family will like, which are nutritious. The lay-flat plastic binding lends to cooking yet has spine lettering for easy shelving. And the dishes themselves blend pantry ingredients for quick preparation with scratch cooking for the best flavor, as in Apple-Cinnamon Pork Chops which blends canned apple pie filling with cinnamon, lemon juice, and chicken broth. Even vegetarian main courses are featured. Very highly recommended above most others: no pictures but with such simple recipes photos aren't at all needed.
on October 2, 2005
I couldn't believe how nasty "Etty's" review was. Let's be fair and judge Jyl's book by how good it is, not by whether she looks too thin on the cover. I bought the book, and I like it. My only complaint is that I'm more of a "from scratch" cook, and I don't really like using things like canned soup in recipes. However it is supposed to be a cookbook for busy people, and the recipes I tried turned out pretty well.
on February 26, 2006
Not only a cookbook with great recipes, but also recipes with ingredients you can actually find in the supermarket!!!!!!!! Just love everything I've tried so far and, amazingly, so does my husband! Healthy, easy and delicious......what a great combination. Have ordered 3 more for gifts. Highly recommend. Thanks Jyl!
on January 3, 2007
Based on the reviews and author's slogan - "America's Healthiest Mom" - I was expecting something different, and far better, than run of the mill crock pot recipes. Sadly, this book is not it. The recipes are healthier only because they call for low-fat canned soup and low-fat bottled salad dressing. Many of the recipes are very similar, too similar to be included in the same cookbook. "Fix It and Forget It" has more variety, and if you use low-fat prepared ingredients, the same health quotient..."How To Make Love and Dinner" gives more interesting and varied recipes. Bummer.
on March 15, 2007
I bought this cookbook because it sounded like just what I needed: healthy meals that I could make while I was out all day. However, this book is a huge disappointment. Besides having almost no photographs, most of these also have no taste! Many do not even have vegetables added, which is one of the great pros of using the slow cooker. I was hoping there would be more all-in-one type dinner recipes. Also, many of these recipies are disturbingly similar, just having different names in order to fill out the book. Flipping through this book does not even inspire me to try anything at all. I wish I'd seen it before I ordered it. The Pillsbury book is the best out there, just tweak them a little to make them healthier.
on February 22, 2006
I have made several recipes from this book and my family has loved every one of them. Even my 9-yr-old loves them. There are many recipes for all day and that is what fits into my schedule the best. Great book and I am recommending to everyone at work.
on April 20, 2006
It is a great cookbook, recipes are easy to put together and they turn up well. But be warned, the author uses butter a lot in her recipes and if you like your health, substitute butter with olive oil as we do and the end results will be just as delicious. Use common sense, when following any recipe, put your heart and your family's health first. The cookbook authors may be experts in cooking, but they may not necessarily be up to date with nutrition science or medical developments!
on January 28, 2007
It seems like most of the recipes contain a can of cream of mushroom soup or something like that; frozen vegetables including onions. I wanted quick but also real food. I was disapointed but will try a few of the recipes.
on April 9, 2008
I LOVE this cookbook. This is stock full of great, easy recipes for delicious dinners...my husband is a huge fan, he's loved everything I've made from this cookbook so far (as have I!) Having a child with a metabolic disorder who needs an extremely low-fat diet, I also really appreciate the low-fat content and the nutritional data for each recipe. The only drawback is that while the author has gone low-fat, she seems to have no problem with high sugar...but recipes can be adapted on that front. Great book!!
on January 20, 2007
I saw this cookbook recently while out and about and decided to order w/Amazon and give it a whirl. I like the fact that most of these recipes are easy and quick to throw together and let's the slow cooker do the rest! I've tried several recipes already (beef barley soup, pasta sauce and pork chops w/stuffing) and loved them all - the family, too! The "shopping" list on each page is also helpful to allow me to quickly look and see what I need for each recipe. They are indeed low fat, healthy and tasty and I will continue to use this book and recommend to friends and family.