Marketing executive Alex Hill is too busy to worry about her domestic fiascos as she spends seemingly 24/7 on creating an ad campaign to introduce a new sportswear product line. However, ignoring her home proves futile when her flighty mother Bean falls and needs caretaker help; the former sixties model moves in with Alex.

Alex seeks a "wife" to clean the house, cook meals, and care for mom. Her friend Saffron finds her Ella, who after one day leaves without notice as she has a better offer. Instead Ella, without informing Alex, pleads with her out work actor brother Frankie to take over her position so that someone is there for Bean. He agrees and enjoys cooking idolizes Bean whom was a paper thin role model, and performs the household drudgery. Saffron and Bean hide Frankie from Alex because each believes the exec would never accept a man doing this type of work well. That subterfuge fails when Alex finds Frankie at her home; she fires him and throws everyone including Bean out. However, not only is her house back to shambles and her eating fast food, the new product launch falls apart. Frankie and his posse of pushy females want to save Alex's butt if she lets them.

Though absolutely predictable in a Lucy- Ethel harebrained way, once all the players are introduced, BUSY WOMAN SEEKS WIFE is an amusing wacky contemporary that plays on gender bending and the role of superwomen in modern society. The key cast members are fully developed with each having several flaws hyperbolized to add to the zaniness of the plot. Ironically, each key character is also very caring of the others in their relationships, which leads to a strange ethics of protecting one another even if that means lying. Fans will enjoy this madcap screwball comedy.

Harriet Klausner
on October 7, 2009
As the other reviewers said, this book has a great cast of characters who interact with each other quite well. Yet, the story line is predictable.

I noted that the authors (two women, Annie Ashworth and Meg Sanders, using the nom-de-plume of Annie Sanders) are television and print writers. This book would make an entertaining television programme.

My only fault of this book is that someone decided to convert some of the language from British English to American English. Examples are "soccer" in lieu of "football" (but only in one instance, returning to football further into the book); "sneakers" instead of "trainers"; and even a mention of a Jell-o chocolate mousse!

Come on! Are Americans considered to be *that* stupid?

I did go to the publishers' website, but was unable to find a placer where I could make my comments, hence I am writing here.
VINE VOICEon April 22, 2009
Busy Woman Seeks Wife has a very cute and original premise. I'm definitely not sharing more than what the blurb gives you, it's more fun to find out for yourself! While it was a bit slow to start, by the last 100 pages or so it was pushing ahead at full steam.

The whole story centers around Alex, who is busy beyond belief trying to put together a launch for a sports apparel crossover line. And she's sure that someone in her office is out to sabotage her. I will admit, she took awhile to grow on me but when she finally did I was totally on her side and I wanted her to pull off her launch without a hitch. I really liked how all the parts of her life and all the characters came together in the last 1/3 of the story, that was my favorite part.

My favorite character in the story was Frankie, a struggling actor that just so happens to be great at domestic chores. He was kind to everyone, from his flighty sister to "The Bean" an aging model and actress to the sweet Saff. Whenever Frankie was on the page I had a grin on my face.

I thought the saboteur plotline was really fun but there was never a question in my mind who the guilty party was. I also thought that Saff's (Alex's friend) plotline of realizing she wasn't satisfied with just being a homemaker was treated rather well and I also liked seeing Frankie's sister's (Ella) come into her own and mature a bit. I also completely understood Alex's feeling about her once famous mother "The Bean". Overall there is a great cast of characters here.

All in all a somewhat slow start but it completely ramps up to a great finish!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I had to pick up this book based on the title. Between work, commuting, reading, blogging and my daughter I would love to have a "wife" to help with dinner, cleaning, etc. I did guess what was going to happen about halfway through but it was still a fun read. Frankie was a great character that you can't help love. His sister, Ella, was a pain in the butt and I might have missed how old she was but sometimes I felt like telling her to get with the program. Alex's character was ok, she didn't really grab me nor did I dislike her. Some of her actions made me scratch my head like why she would stay with her boyfriend who was obviously a jerk and I thought she blew things way out of proportion with the Bean, Saff and Frankie. Like I said you can pretty much guess what is going to happen with Alex, who the saboteur is and what Saff will end up doing. Still if you are looking for a light and funny read this is one to pick up.