4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best DVD for a beginner

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Little Coaching
Published on June 25, 2007 by Intrepid Innovator

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best DVD for a beginner, September 24, 2009
This review is from: Butch Harmon's Ultimate Golf Series (DVD)
First off, I agree with all of the comments from the other golfers on this video. They all are correct. I received this video from a fellow golfer who let me look at it. Butch only gives a couple of things to look at and advice with each part of the DVD. That is the way he teaches. He doesn't give a laundry list of items to do because he doesn't want you to spend most of your time trying to remember those items while out practicing.

You are expected to know some basics and be a regular player before you watch this video. This is more for fine tuning your existing game. The video helped me. Is it good for a beginner? no. A good teacher will just give you a couple of things to work on with each lesson - if you are getting an 8 step plan for a swing when you first start off, then you will be going over the 8 steps every time you address the ball and wondering what you forgot if you shank a ball.

I gave it 4 stars because it helped me. I practiced the couple items with each lesson and saw a difference on the course. A good DVD for a intermediate player.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Little Coaching, June 25, 2007
Intrepid Innovator (Pasadena, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Butch Harmon's Ultimate Golf Series (DVD)
As a brand new golfer I found the nuggets of advice very helpful. There are just too few of them. Mr. Harmon spends half of the DVD reminiscing about the past. I give the advice five stars and the reminiscing zero stars so they average to 2.5 stars. I rounded up to give him the benefit of the doubt. I saw this video for sale at a golf store for over twice the Amazon price. I'm glad I own it at the Amazon price. I would be ticked-off if I had paid the higher price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing effort, December 29, 2006
A. Price "club collector" (Ellabell, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Butch Harmon's Ultimate Golf Series (DVD)
Received this for Christmas and was excited about it; after viewing the dvd's, I can only say that I'm extremely disappointed. Very little - if anything- is "new" here; in fact, you could get lots more useful information by subscribing to a golf instruction magazine. My package did come with a putting training aid - which was a bonus, but it can't help the "staged" interaction and stale lessons. Also, this instrutional DVD is now over 5 years old (when he was still Tiger Woods' coach). This set my be satisfactory to a complete beginner, but most golfers should pass on this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Short on substance, January 18, 2008
This review is from: Butch Harmon's Ultimate Golf Series (DVD)
I purchased this video on the 'reputation' of Butch Harmon as one of the pre-eminent instructors in golf. It was an Xmas gift for my wife, who is a single digit golfer, with a desire to work on a broad spectrum of areas in her game.
This one of our most disappointing purchases, as it's more of a testimonial to the Harmon family, and the greatness of Butch, than useful information. For the few specific lessons that are actually taught in this tape, Butch narrates techniques and his son demonstrates. He doesn't demonstrate well, and there just isn't adequate content. I would definitely not recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Butch Harmon's Ultimate Golf Series, January 22, 2013
James C. Hilton "Jimbo" (Colorado Springs, Co, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Butch Harmon's Ultimate Golf Series (DVD)
Butch gives some good tips in the DVD's. I enjoy the information he gives. He gave me just what I needed where I am in improving my golf swing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT waste your money on this paperweight item, April 1, 2011
This review is from: Butch Harmon's Ultimate Golf Series (DVD)
I can't believe Harmon could produce such useless information. Hey, I know he is a great teacher of golf, but this DVD was a complete failure in helping a golfer who wants to learn how to swing and play better golf.

3.0 out of 5 stars Butch Harmon's Ultimate Golf, November 7, 2008
This review is from: Butch Harmon's Ultimate Golf Series (DVD)
In the process of moving to our new library building, I am withdrawing VHS tapes that haven't circulated in the past year. We had some golf tapes that pre-dated our automation in 1996. Out with the old and in with the new! If patrons like the two new golf DVDs, I can look for more titles, too.

Butch Harmon's Ultimate Golf Series
Butch Harmon's Ultimate Golf Series by Kenny Taft (DVD - 2006)
$34.95 $19.13