5.0 out of 5 stars Love It or Hate It, This Book Is About Butts.
It's interesting to look through the reader reviews for this book; I don't know that I've ever seen a book veer as wildly between 1 and 5 star reviews. The lower ratings often express dismay and outrage at the book's subject matter, which, given its title, may strike one as a bit silly.

"This book is about butts? What trash!"

Not only is this...
Published on March 29, 2006 by Bart King

3.0 out of 5 stars Butt-tastic Book!!!!!!!!
Title and Author: The Day My Butt Went Psycho By: Andy Griffiths

Main Characters: The MAIN character is Zack Freeman. Zack is a kid who always messes up things!his butt has come off , and is a part of the "butt army." Some others are ,Elenor,and the B - Team (Smacker, Kicker, and Kisser).

Plot : This story is about a boy's butt coming off his...
Published on December 6, 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It or Hate It, This Book Is About Butts., March 29, 2006
Bart King (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Day My Butt Went Psycho (Andy Griffiths' Butt) (Paperback)

"This book is about butts? What trash!"

Not only is this Australian book about butts (the title originally used "bum"), but the word "butt" is in virtually every sentence. If you or yours enjoy scatological Aussie humor, you'll love this. As a middle school teacher, I've seen this book in so many hands, I felt obligated to read it. I may have regretted my decision when the book's main character and his pal ride an exploding butt pimple, but I stuck in there.

So to summarize: The Day My Butt Went Psycho is funny, and it's about butts. Be warned.

Also recommended: The Big Book of Boy Stuff

4.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is my 8y.o. son loves it..., January 26, 2006
My 8 y.o. son is not a big reader and trying to find books he actually wants to read is hard. Like a lot of boys his age he is (unfortunately) obsessed w/potty humor. I saw this book and knew he'd like it. Understatement. He can't wait to read it b/f bed and I've found him reading it on his own during the day. It's full of butt-humor that boys his age find hysterical. Went ahead and ordered the others in the series as well. One good thing seems to be that reading about it seems to have cut down on his need to potty talk all the time. Being a good reader is instrumental in their future academic success so I get him whatever will hold his interest. He finds the Frannie K. Stein books entertaining as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the Funniest Books EVER!, April 5, 2003
By A Customer
I'm 25 years old. I have a BA in Psychology. And I still think that this is the funniest book in the world. I picked it up in the bookstore and lost complete control after I read the first few pages and couldn't stop laughing out loud.
I work with 4th graders and I can't wait to bring this into the classroom. It's good to see a book that kids are going to love to read because it's so funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Butt kicking is all the rage!!!!, May 6, 2005
This book is just plain funny!

For those who have wrote reviews about this book and were offended by the word "BUTT" throughout the story, all I can say is "What did you expect?" Yes this book deals with words like butt, fart and the great white butt along with a host of too many to mention. But if you have a open mind and aren't bothered by a little off beat, non-offending humor, then it's sure to please. If you like Dav Pilkey's "Captain Underpants" then you're going to love this book too. I read it to my eight year old son when I put him to bed at night, and he complained every time when I told him it was time to go sleep. He enjoyed it so much, that he re-read the book himself, over the summer months.

The sequel is no where near as well thought out as "Psycho," but it's a funny read too. So are all of the other Andy Griffiths books.

If you take the time to look beyond the so called "non-appropriate humor" some reviewers have refered to, you'll find yourself laughing throughout this read.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll laugh your butt off !, December 15, 2003
By A Customer
I have a 6 year old son, and from experience I found that the imagination, attention and humor levels that little boys posses make it more difficult to find books of interest, especially when they'd rather be playing outside,or putting whoopie cushions under Dad's seat. I stumbled across this book at a book store and before I could finish reading the back cover, my son had grabbed it out of my hand (after seeing the word BUTT ) and began reading it himself. The "rated G for Gross" grabbed him right away. Immediately he tore into the first page and was hooked. It's a little above his reading level, but because he's so interested in the story it's encouraged him to really work on his reading skills.
My entire family works in the education business, and we recently had a family gathering at which time my son pulled out his "Butt" book, and after a few minutes the whole family was in HYSTERICS ! It became an evening of passing around the book and taking turns reading chapters. The silly nature of this book doesn't stop after the first page like other books we've tried. I look forward to buying many more books from this author. I highly recommend this book, you'll laugh your Butt off !

5.0 out of 5 stars Sure to become a butt classic, June 22, 2004
This book from Australian author Andy Griffiths (of Zombie Butts from Uranus fame) just goes to show you how far things have come in the young reader genre since I was a kid 40 years ago. Back then it was more like Tom Swift, the Hardy Boys, Dr. Suess, and Dr. Doolittle. But there wasn't anything as raucous and outrageous as this funny, farcical story about wayward butts and their butt-shenanigans from Griffiths.
The story follows 12-year old Zack, who discovers one night his butt can detach itself and go wandering around the town at night on its stumpy little legs, hanging out with other wayward butts and getting into trouble such as mooning passersby and causing accidents, and perpetrating other butt pranks. Zack has to bring back his butt before it gets into more trouble and the judge throws his butt in the slammer. This is only the tip of the iceberg, however, and Zack soon discovers that there is a widespread butt conspiracy that threatens the peace and tranquility of the entire town and that must be stopped no matter what the cost.
Griffiths never misses an opportunity to use every bit of butt wordplay or gag he can throw in, which is a big part of the book's fun and humor. For example, you'll meet cluster butts, kamikaze butts, stinkants, buttcatchers, and even the fearsome Stenchgantor, "the Great Unwiped Butt," who lives in the Brown Forest--which used to be the Great Black Forest before he arrived and polluted it with his--shall we say, gaseous and foul emissions. A great world-wide army of feral butts is forming, "the greatest buttcano in the history of the world." Zack joins the butt-bashing and butt-busting B-Team (Butt Team) that includes the Kicker, the Kisser, and the Smacker, who all "...love the smell of freshly smacked butt in the morning." Zack is armed with a fearsome butt-busting weapon, the 4502-LL ("Laxative Launcher"). As if that weren't enough, there are also Butt-piranhas, poopoises, and Butt-sirens, and the Great White Butt, who has never been defeated.
That's just a few of the butt-based ideas and gags. A bit of a low-brow mindset and wit will help you to get the maximum laughs out this book of bawdy butt badinage and butt hijinks--as long as you don't turn into a real buttinsky yourself.* :-)
*Sorry, I couldn't resist. "Badinage" means light, playful banter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Butt-Fighters, Buttasaurs, and Buttwars, Oh My, January 25, 2007
You know, when the opening page of a book contains a warning to all adults to "put this book down if. . . ", it might be a good idea to pay heed--unless you know that it's just what your child needs to jump-start him (or her--there are some strong female charaters in these stories as well) to read something for fun. My 8-year old son, who is NOT an avid reader, LOVES this series, loves my reactions to some of the more horrible puns (and odiferous references), and loves to go through the glossary of butt-terms at the end of each book. I am reading these aloud to him, but he's enjoying them so much that he's starting to read the glossaries himself and working out some of the more outrageous newly-coined butt-words. Because the words and definitions are so crazy and full of potty humor, he jumps in and tries to sound out even the most intimidatingly complicated looking words--and THAT makes it well worth ignoring that initial warning. It's also a jump-off point for discussing why the word/phrase is a pun or what it meant/sounded like before becoming, ahem, scatologized. Why five stars? Well, I won't say it's the best book I've ever read, but the fact that it's encouraging my son to read more? That deserves a a 5-star rating in my book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for kids and mom!, February 19, 2010
My son, ten, loves the Wimpy Kid Dairy books. He has read all of them several times. This is amazing to me because he isn't a reader. Determined to help him become a reader, I went searching for similar books. Amazon recommended this. The Search Inside feature convinced me that this was a good choice and I ordered it as a stocking stuffer. I am so glad I did! The reading level wasn't as easy but the book seemed hilarious based on the cover. We decided to read it aloud together. We both laughed hysterically. He enjoyed the potty humor and I saw further into a ten year old boy's mind than I ever have. Parts of the book are truly gross, funny, but gross. Even so, I highly recommend this book. If the storyline sounds perfect for your child but the reading level is too difficult, read to him or her. Listening to you read will encourage a love of reading in him and give you insight into your child's sense of humor. Learning, laughing and sharing, true quality time with your child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ryan's Review, March 27, 2006
A Kid's Review
This book is so funny I love all the big words and funny chapters.It is about four kids that want to save the world from butts.So they go to the buttcano to stop the butts. The author's purpose is to fight till you accomplish want you started.My opinon is that this book should have another problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Savannah's review 10 years old, April 4, 2003
Jennifer M. Stpierre (North Branch, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This book was very shocking at the end! It kept me in suspense and I can't wait for the next book. I would recommmend this book to other kids my age but not for anyone over the age of 13 because it is a little immature.

The Day My Butt Went Psycho (Andy Griffiths' Butt)
The Day My Butt Went Psycho (Andy Griffiths' Butt) by Andy Griffiths (Paperback - April 1, 2003)
$6.99 $5.71