on December 11, 2007
We love the table and it seems sturdy to hold up to our four boys. We
did not realize how many pieces it would arrive in - it was a good four hours for assembly. Now that it is together - we are thrilled. Sturdy and love the spot on the sides to hold the rackets and balls.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 10, 2008
This table has pretty good bounce. I have been playing ping-pong for many years. This table is one of the best.
The assembly time is not that bad. Maybe 3 hours if you're fast. You only need a second hand when it's nearly done (almost the last step). But put the parts to where you want it to be first.
Got it shipped in a week, pretty fast. My 7-year-old likes it. We played a lot in the basement already.

The bad thing is:
1) the net is 3 to 4 inches short. But I used a paper clip and a string to tie it up to the other end (the poles will accommodate you for strings).
2) one screw is missing, not very important, i just picked one from my toolbox.

All in all, very happy. Good price, good quality.
on October 30, 2011
Most of the 18 prior reviewers seems to think the table was pretty easy to put together, and maybe it is if your of average handyness. Fortunately, you have me to give another perspective, the kind of person who, when putting stuff together, frequently has to go back two steps because he screwed something on backwards. While this review is mainly for those in the same boat and not for handy folks, hopefully it has a little something for everyone. Ok, installation:

(1) just diagrams, essentially no words. Diagrams are confusing at times. For example, there was a diagram with 4 steps listed on a single page, and I thought they were all connected -- but no, steps 3 and 4 were to be done on another similar part and not part of a sequence with 1 and 2, where the part for steps 3 and 4 was slightly different from the part in steps 1 and 2. With my wife helping, there was a minimal degree of messing up a step and going backwards, but we still had a good amount of headscratch/debate time;

(2) screws are organized too frustrate you. For example, 3 sizes of screw, 40, 50 and 55 mm are in the same bag, unmarked, mixed together. While that would be bad enough, there are 2 separate bags with these 3 screw types mixed together. Maybe there is a reason for that (one bag for each table half?) but since there are no words on the directions who knows? The directions have a little measuring thing, so your supposed to sort the screws yourself. There are also two similar looking types of washers that need to be unsorted, and my wife was having trouble telling them apart.

(4) there was one place where it tells you to use your hands to get a metal end cap to stay on. Maybe if you have Paul Bunyan hands, but otherwise a hammer is needed. If your like me, getting the confidence to do something not in the directions takes a while;

(5) there was one step where 2 large pieces of metal are supposed to overlap perfectly so you can screw them in. After 10-15 minutes, I realized I had done everything 100% correct and was convinced there was a manufacturing defect. Although I was entirely convinced it wouldnt work, somehow hammering did fix the problem.

(6) net is a little frustrating to set up -- I got the net firm and stable, but I had to play with it to get that, and I dont think I did it right. Still, its stable and works fine.

On the plus side, my wife and I *were* able to put the table together, and if we can do it, you probably can too, no matter how weak your skills. Sure it took us 4 solid hours, and it would have been longer if we werent stopping each other from making mistakes, but its done, and it looks like we did it right.

Table itself seems of good quality (with the possible exception of the net, though after playing with the net its been stable for months), just knocking it down 2 stars for installation.

Tip for the weak: If your not real strong and have steps, just open the box in your garage and carry the table halves separately. Also allows for easier manuevering to get it around corners and such. Worked well for us, and we are on the weaker side of normal.

Random observation: While the table folds up really easily with no strength required, it doesnt make a perfect backboard for practicing by yourself as there is a pretty big gap between the upright table and the bottom table, meaning you'll lose balls into the gap. An advanced beginner and up can still practice that way, but its not viable for beginning kids -- the gap will eat too many balls. Still, the easy fold-up is an obvious plus, and I have no idea if there are tables that fold-up without gaps.
on December 12, 2008
Oh My Concern at the 2 Guys that delivered this thing to my door. When they opened the back of the Van I saw a dent in the side of the packing...
Have No Fear, this thing is well packed and protected. It's Heavy though! Real Heavy, so make sure the Wife is around to help you shift it!
I agree with other reviewers. This thing takes a couple of hours to put together. Do it slowly and methodically as many of the nuts and bolts look VERY similar. I suggest sorting them and laying them out. There is a useful little measure on the instruction sheet which helps with the bolt sizes.
Anyway, once it's put together, it's a solid beauty. I've had it for a couple of months now and haven't had a decent game. Not because of the table but for the fact that, in my house is everyone's Crap at playing Table Tennis.
So if you're in the area with your bat............!

PS I would post a photo but heh, a Table Tennis Table is what it is. You know what it looks like.

OH! I almost forgot PS(2)....It comes WITH a net, which I didn't realise, and had ordered a net to go with it. The Net that comes with it is as sturdy as the table.....AND NO I'm not taking a picture of the Net either.
on October 6, 2009
It has been a while since I purchased this table, so I've had a number of months to ponder over how I feel about the product. With that being said, the table itself plays like a champ. The construction quality is great and it folds up nicely allowing me to store it in my office and roll it out to play when we have guests over. The bounce on the table is excellent and the net / net tension are also excellent. I also appreciate the paddle / ball holders along both sides of the table - convenient design.

The only drawback I can think of is the initial setup time to build the table. I think it took me roughly 3.5 hours to put together. I highly recommend having a 2nd person handy, as I almost ran into trouble trying to put it all together on my own (each half of the table top weighs around 90 lbs. I think), so build with caution.

Happy Hunting!
on February 17, 2010
I went with the brand and trusted the Butterfly. Unfortunately they failed me. It is very light weight compared to some other tables in the market.

The Shipping company does not have my email or telephone no. So sent a mail in USPS for a schedule date and sat with the table for over a week. The moment I called them they are delivered the table on the next day. Amazon could have done a bit better here supplying me the Shipping company number and instructing to me to call them. So that I could have received my order a week ahead. There was a broken part in the shipment as it was miss handled (there was a 6X6" hole on the outer package that was covered with a cardboard), notified Amazon, never received any reply back on that.

The broads are pretty good. However the center pieces, which holds the boards together are flimsy. They are couple of metal sheets, which can easily bent and plastic stuff to hold them together. The legs are 1/2" pipes and if you touch the board for a shot the entire table will move. I think Butterfly can do much better than this for the prices. Due to the center piece every bounce of the ball will resound and gives a feel that the ball is bouncing too much on the board.

It is 200Lb and took 4-5hr for me to install. Be sure you have some one who can lift each board, which is around 80Lb, around. My wife helped me with this. after setting it up it works as expected. NO alignment issues.

I felt like I paid double the price just for the brand name. I would recommend NOT to buy this one unless you use this for decoration and occasional play. There are better tables than this for less prices in the market. Also you may want to consider physically looking (NOT the photos) at the table before you order.
on January 14, 2013
I've played table tennis for 40+ years...You can't go wrong with the reputable Butterfly brand. It has been around for ages and for as long as I can remember. Installation did take about 3 careful hours. The wood, paint, and net are excellent. Part of the reasons I chose this over other choices was that the table legs are placed toward the inside for best support and NOT at the table corners. The problem with corner legs is that the table's compressed wood will sag & dip over time in the middle due to weight. So far, my family is enjoying it.
on November 3, 2010
Great purchase, I could have used a drill to assemble, sort of difficult with the screws (and muscle). Directions were easy. Doesn't come with paddles or balls.
on July 3, 2009
This is a great table for the $$$!! Had heard many reviews of how hard these things are to put together, and it is true that it takes a while, but if you CAREFULLY follow the directions, all comes together perfectly. I pretty much put the thing together by myself - just had to get my husband to help with the heavy stuff. All of the parts were well marked and fit together the way they should. The table seems real sturdy. Three hours after delivery, we were playing ping pong on our new table!
on March 8, 2013
Great table, the surface is great, the ball bounces properly on this table. So if you buy a cheaper kind, the ball may not bounce that well.
There are tables that you don't have to spend much time assembling it but I am not willing to sacrifice the table surface with the proper bounce.
I spent 4 and a half hour assembling this by myself. I read the recommendation of laying all the screws and parts out.
Put the 3 kinds of similar bolts with different lengths in separate piles before assembly. You assemble the roller rack first, then the table top.

The only time I needed an extra hand was the last half hour when I have to put the two half-table top on the the rack.
Each half-table top is about 70 pounds.
You need someone to hold the rack in place (without rolling away) while you flip the half table top to it's proper position.

Can one person do it?. Yes, you'll have to put the roller rack against a wall so it won't roll away while you are lifting and flipping the half-table top on to the rack. This will take a lot more time.
A 10 year old boy or girl is sufficient for your extra help.