5.0 out of 5 stars I'M A CONVERT
Published on November 27, 2012 by A NORTH CAROLINA READER

2.0 out of 5 stars Buttermilk
I was disappointed in the recipes - especially a recipe for buttermilk cake. Have given the book away since there wasn't a single recipe that I liked.
Published 22 months ago by Martha W Pasley

5.0 out of 5 stars I'M A CONVERT, November 27, 2012
A NORTH CAROLINA READER (Chapel Hill, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Buttermilk: A Savor the South Cookbook (Hardcover)
Let me be right up front. I've never been big on buttermilk. Oh,I use it to make feathery biscuits and chocolate cakes and of course that old Southern fave Buttermilk Pie. But until I received a copy of Debbie Moose's latest cookbook (one of The University of North Carolina Press's welcome new Savor the South series), I never dreamed that there were so many imaginative -- make that delicious -- ways to use buttermilk. It would never have occurred to me to team buttermilk and sweet potatoes in pancakes, then to top them with Orange Butter. Or to use buttermilk in a silky Panna Cotta -- Debbie's is seasoned with Lemongrass and Green Tea! To be honest, Debbie's made a proselytizing convert of me and I'll be trying her Roasted Red Bell Pepper Soup soon, ditto her Tex-Mex Corn Pudding and Sundried Tomato Parmesan Quiche and Buttermilk-Poached Fish with Cilantro-Lime Butter and, and, and. There are 50 recipes only in this little gem, one more irresistible than the next, all of them introduced with snappy headnotes. Debbie Moose writes as well as she cooks so BUTTERMILK's great fun to read. In other words, it's the perfect Christmas gift for the cooks in your family.

5.0 out of 5 stars New South, September 16, 2012
This review is from: Buttermilk: A Savor the South Cookbook (Hardcover)
I was thrilled to learn about this series from Garden & Gun, but I honestly hadn't planned on purchasing until the Tomatoes, Okra, or Peaches editions were published. I'm SO glad that I changed my mind!

Tonight, I made chilled buttermilk cucumber soup w/ dill, followed by baked buttermilk curry chicken. These aren't dishes you typically find in Southern cookbooks...this series highlights a more eclectic menu with homey Southern ingredients. Can't wait to try the Don't-Fear-the-Slime Okra and Faux Fryers. I definitely plan to buy several of the upcoming editions!

4.0 out of 5 stars All in one place, March 2, 2013
This review is from: Buttermilk: A Savor the South Cookbook (Hardcover)
I'm sure some of these recipes are easily found online, but if you like buttermilk and want something at the ready, this book is worth a try. I have made about five recipes from this, and all but a salad dressing were successes. Today I made the hushpuppies, and they were so simple. I would suggest halving that recipe though unless you want 8 dozen hushpuppies. I used a small, one-inch scoop to measure each 'puppy,' and the dough was very easy to work with; it easily dropped out of the scoop into the oil without having to coax it out, making the process a fast-moving production line w/o frustration at all. The recipe states that the full recipe makes 3-4 dozen...I don't see how b/c I got that same amount by using half the ingredients....just sayin'. There are savory meals you can make in here too, an Indian style chicken for instance, as well as sweets, scones, biscuits, and muffins too of course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buttermilk: A Savor the South Cookbook, February 9, 2013
This review is from: Buttermilk: A Savor the South Cookbook (Hardcover)
Every recipe I try from "Buttermilk: A Savor the South Cookbook" by Debbie Moose is not only successful but fabulous! I highly recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Cookbook, January 20, 2013
This review is from: Buttermilk: A Savor the South Cookbook (Hardcover)
Easy to follow recipes for some down-home cooking! Will probably try all the recipes before the year is over. A must for your bookshelf!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Buttermilk Recipies All in One Book, December 2, 2013
This review is from: Buttermilk: A Savor the South Cookbook (Hardcover)
Great recipes. Easy to read and follow. Finally, someone thought of gathering enough buttermilk recipes to fill a book.
Buttermilk is great stuff for baking and cooking with. Gives recipes a great taste and baked goods are more tender.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to the series, November 17, 2012
This review is from: Buttermilk: A Savor the South Cookbook (Hardcover)
I can't wait for the rest of the series.
My husband bought me the first 2 as a birthday present and it was a wonderful surprise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buttermilk red velvet cake, October 17, 2012
This review is from: Buttermilk: A Savor the South Cookbook (Hardcover)
My husband loves red velvet cake. I've tried various recipes over the years, but with limited success. Lately, I just buy one at Whole Foods. Debbie's book, Buttermilk: A Savor the South Cookbook, should change all that. I can't wait to try the recipe for buttermilk red velvet cake. I'll update my post to let you all know how it turned out.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buttermilk, March 15, 2013

Buttermilk: A Savor the South Cookbook
Buttermilk: A Savor the South Cookbook by Debbie Moose (Hardcover - September 10, 2012)
$18.00 $14.19