Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

75%
25%
Format: Paperback|Change

on December 8, 1998
This simple little book will provide hours of entertainment to any child who has a mom or grandmother with a botton collection. As children, my sister and I would spend countless hours sorting my mothers botton collection. Believe it or not - buttons are fun! This book is the perfect compliment to any botton collection.
on April 11, 2005
I use this book for Kindergarten story time and, as always, try to find a way to help them see a relationship between the story and their lives. Sorting by colors and sizes is something they enjoy, and they are thrilled when I bring out a REAL button box for them to poke through. The artwork in this book is well done and shows the wide variety of buttons students might see; I thought having Girl Scout uniform buttons was a nice touch. "Cute as a button" (which I print on bookmarks for them) is a phrase we hear often over then next few months, and everytime someone finds a button they bring it straight to me. This book is an excellent reminder to students about finding joy in everyday things.

P.S. I also set out Taback's "Joseph Had A Little Overcoat" which has buttons on the back cover.
on January 25, 2004
I am a First grade teacher and this book compliments my Math series at school beautifully! I am currently using the "Investigations" program in Math, and this book really allows for the children to see the different kinds of buttons and how the little boy sorts them. This book is a good introduction to any lesson about sorting!
on June 22, 2005
I use this book for grades 3-5, reading the story first, then showing them my button collection. Each child chooses a button and writes a story. It is amazing to me how a small button can "spark" a story but it works! And I give this book a lot of credit for creating enthusiasm for doing so.
on September 26, 2014
I felt the need to post a review of this book after noticing the terribly negative editorial review posted by Amazon. I don't know if Denise Krell of the New York Public Library is always this gloomy about children's books, but this one certainly deserves more credit than it received!

"A story about buttons isn't much of a story at all"? Actually, this book quite sweetly describes the experience of digging through a button box to pick out "treasures". There's nothing sloppy about the layout, and the illustrations lend themselves to counting, picking favorites, and so on.

Perhaps it is the misguided age range (5-8 years) that soured the librarian on the story. While some older readers might enjoy it, it is better suited to the preschool and kindergarten set - kids who like a good bit of discussion in the midst of their stories.

This simple little book isn't one of the all time greats, but it is enjoyable. Sure, it would be nice to see a modern take with crisp, clear photos or glorious illustrations by an ingenious children's book artist like Ruth Heller, Bill Thomson, or Sylvia Long - but this book does an admirable job of presenting a relatable, everyday experience in a way that rings true. It is a lovely book for sharing one-on-one with a child, or with a group with the promise of sorting buttons of their own afterwards.
on January 9, 2014
My kids loved this book because it's JUST like their Grann's button box that she's had since I was a little girl. It has drawings of all different kinds of buttons, and sparks kids' ideas on ways to play with buttons. My kids raced this book over to Grann's house, read it together, then played for an hour with all of her buttons. A simple and solidly good book for all of you who like sewing or have fond memories of moms/grandmas who sewed.
on April 2, 2012
I have checked out this book from the public library several times over the last few years to use in literacy tutoring with elementary children. I finally decided I should purchase a copy of the book. I was pleased with the vendor and received the book very quickly.
on June 20, 2013
My second grade class enjoyed hearing the story and then sorting my button box, which is actually a drawer of buttons, both old and new.
on May 5, 2013
This book is a must for every grandmother with a button box.
Colorful pages and pictures of all my favorite buttons.
on March 6, 2013
Brought back a lot of memories. Can't help but love this adorable book. Such a memory maker. Love it so much.