Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 24, 2011 8:19:58 PM PDT
Matt says:
While I think this game will be awesome, I wonder if it'll be worth waiting.....First of all, the Elder Scrolls games, while great, are known for having bugs...a lot of bugs that detract from the experience. Second, let's look at the economics. I can pay $60 now for the base game and pay $15 over the course of the next year or so for each of the 3 expansion packs that come out. How do I know about the expansion packs you say? Well, given the history with Fallout 3 and the rest of the Elder Scrolls games, this is how they go about things. Okay, so total price = $60 + $45 = $105. Or I can wait for a Game of the Year edition (because every Elder Scrolls game and Fallout 3 get GOY awards by at least one videogame publication) and pay $60 for the base game and all three expansions. While I think this game will be truly epic, I think I might wait for the GOY edition.

Posted on Sep 25, 2011 6:46:26 PM PDT
I would like to think that this will be virtually bug free since they have been working on it for so long, but you never know. The question of now or later really comes down to one thing: how bad do you want it?

Posted on Sep 25, 2011 6:58:18 PM PDT
Adam says:
I plan on waiting. BF3 will keep me busy until the game has been out for a couple months, which should allow adequate time to discover and fix most of the bugs.

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 8:34:57 AM PDT
Andrew C. says:
"I would like to think that this will be virtually bug free since they have been working on it for so long, but you never know."

^A "virtually bug free" Elder Scrolls game? You must be new to the series. There is no such thing as a bug-free Elder Scrolls game. Daggerfall and Morrowind were notoriously buggy, and Oblivion was prone to crashes (but not as often). I think that the nature of these huge, open-world games with tons of quests and cutting-edge graphics make them uniquely suspectible to bugs of various sorts.

Anyhow, I do love the Elder Scrolls games, bugs and all. But I am definitely waiting for the GotY edition, as M. Kapsinow suggested. More bang for the buck--and hopefully the worst bugs will be addressed by then.

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 4:34:16 PM PDT
Armadda says:
Wish I had the patience to wait for the GoTY edition but unfortunately I'll be taking Skyrim bugs and all

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 7:57:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2011 7:59:06 AM PDT
BirukT says:
Typically I do wait for GOTY editions because, as you mentioned, it is the better deal. That said, Bethesda games are so grand in scale that it very much is worth picking up right away. Not to mention I have been waiting for another game set in this type of universe for a very long time. I cannot wait any longer! Do not get me wrong, I love the fallout games, but I prefer the medieval setting to the post-apocalyptic one.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 4:07:10 PM PDT
L. Doll says:
Wish I could give positive feedback TWICE to the two previous posts. I can't believe anyone has the patience or willpower to wait for a GOTY edition.. This is a must-have, first-day purchase - well worth the initial barrage of bugs and glitches. You only live ONCE! What if you die before the GOTY.. ? They're all gonna laugh at you!

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 2:07:44 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 3, 2011 12:48:40 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 9:54:08 AM PDT
Aaron says:
I definitely preordered the game and would say you should do the same as well. :D

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 12:24:39 PM PDT
Andrew, I know there will be small bugs or glitches. What I meant is that I hope there are none that make it unplayable.

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 8:59:22 PM PDT
WizardPlus says:
Considering that they have been letting people play the actual game at all the conferences, since there is no demo... You shouldn't have a game breaking problem. But since I haven't even finished fallout vegas or even touched noire or crisis 2 yet, I may cancel my preorder and eventually wait for a game of the year version.

But I'm so sick of trolling amazon day in and day out waiting for deals, I think an extra $20 is worth saving my time. Also, it's almost deal season so... I'm sure there'll be plenty of opportunities for a buy 2 get 1 free soon enough.

Anyway...

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 4:53:28 PM PDT
The elder scrolls are huge games and skyrim is estimate to having over 200 hours of playtime(without the DLC), I am not sure if that is for one play though it probably is, however, it makes my point regardless. Even if you spend $105 and play the game once and get 200 hours and, least say 30 additional hours for DLC(I have no idea if that is accurate or not), the game is still incredibly cheap. 105/230 equals 45 cents per hour of entertainment. When a game is this huge and it is less than a dollar per hour of entertainment I see very little point in waiting.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 8:42:14 AM PDT
Peter Faden says:
I agree. Not that people are wrong to feel like it is too expensive, but i dont have a problem with it personally. Fortunately, nobody has to buy the CE, and the reg price is the same as other games. Simply comes down to what people want and how much they are willing to spend. I suspect there will be no shortage of preorders for the CE, and i plan on getting mine. :)

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 8:43:14 AM PDT
Miranda A. says:
If you wait a year for the goty... then you are not a fan... Do it if you don't particularly care for this title...
You either buy this game day one or day one when its GOTY... or later when its cheap (THEN IT BECOMES A SUPER STEAL EITHER WAY)
I'm buying both... I don't buy expansions... I buy it all on one disc...
6 YEARS FOR THIS TITLE... I HAVE PLENTY OF MONEY PUT ASIDE FOR THIS TITLE that I love! <3

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 8:32:38 PM PDT
I usually buy the game on release, full price. Don't buy any DLC. Then when GOTY comes out, if it's a fair price (less than all the expansions combined) I will usually buy that, and either sell my original or give it away. Either way I get the game and all the DLC for less than the original game + DLC. And sometimes I get to give to a friend who has less money than I. It's a win for me. So basically if you want it , buy it now and enjoy it. Don't buy the DLC. When GOTY comes out, if it's reasonable buy it. Most GOTY's are cheaper than the DLC was in the first place lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 6:37:13 AM PDT
I was just thinking about how you can buy two versions, one now and one GOTY copy and give the first one away. I think that would be a good system with my brother and I almost did it with UC2 if I hadn't bought the DLC a couple weeks before the GOTY was released.

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 8:07:21 PM PDT
Aaron Plettl says:
I have a theory that if I buy this now, and it happens again where there is a bug in the GOTY version (I have a PS3) where you can not complete something and for what ever reason there is no attempts to fix said bug (I'm speaking of the Vampire Cure quest).

The only way to fix that bug was to get the original version, no expansion pack, and then you can fix the glitch and move on. Downside was, I already paid $60 for the GOTY version, the only version I had of Oblivion. I was not going to go out and pay another $30 for a game I would only use in order to fix one glitch, plus the only difference being one game has a single expansion pack and the other doesn't (Again, PS3, no fancy cool added stuff for us)....ok I'm bitter, who wouldn't be, still love Oblivion, will most likely love Skyrim.

My long winded point is, I will probably buy day one copy now, then wait for GOTY game with the thought that most of the DLC will add up to that price anyway and I'm not paying for them all piece meal like anyone else who will not wait and gets DLC as well day one......I hope this all makes sense cause I feel like I'm babbling now......IS IT HERE YET!?

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 11:43:25 PM PDT
K. Wendt says:
GOTY is a better deal, but no way I'm waiting that long!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 7:47:41 AM PDT
Yeah GOTY is a better deal....instead of 45 cents per hour of entertainment it is around 15 cents(depending on how much it cost) per hour of entertainment. I can certainly see why those 30 cents make such a big difference. Ok I was just really sarcastic but I guess that is because I don't understand how people think getting Elder Srolls on release day and the DLC as they come out or in a pack is expensive. When you look at how the game cost versus the amount of time you will be playing the game it is just pennies per hour of entertainment. Conversely, I can see why some people would wait for the price of shorter games, like portal 2, to come down because that does make a drastic difference for the money per hour of entertainment. In portal 2 the SP campaign and the Co op is about 15 hours, so if a person buys it on release day it is a little over 4 dollars per hour of entertainment, which still isn't that much. However, if a person waits a while to get it half price or less the dollars per hour of entertainment can get to 1 dollar or less per hour of entertainment. I really don't see the point in waiting, to get a better deal, with games as huge and as long as Elder Scrolls. Of course there are other reasons to wait beside money, like a back log of games, lack of time, and being busy with school or work.
I know it is to each their own and everyone has to decide what it best them, however, sometimes I have a hard time understanding someone's viewpoint. I mean I still respect everyones viewpoint and respect their right to have a different opinion than me because you don't have to understand something to respect it.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 9:05:43 AM PDT
dalp says:
There are so many great games being released all the time that is hard to keep up, so naturally I am now buying amazing games used for under $20. By the time I defeat those games, all of the new games will be around $20. However, I will make an acception for Skyrim and BF3. Especially for Skyrim, which is a game I can truely get lost in. I applaud the people that can wait 6 months to a year for GOTY edition of Skyrim, that takes great discipline.

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 11:47:14 AM PDT
Jacob Bowen says:
I think if you wait, your not a true fan of the Elder Scrolls. I mean, COME ON! This is SKYRIM! ELDER SCROLLS V for gods sake! Whats the point in waiting for a GOTY edition? This game will probably only get 1 or 2 DLC's if it follows Oblivion it'll only get 1 (fingers crossed for better dlc than Shivering Isles) And when the GOTY edition comes out, it'll be 60 dollars as well. Plus with this one, you get a super helpful physical map. Mark down locations of things on that bad boy and you'll know every dungeon and special item on every inch of the map. I think preordering it would be your best bet. You get it on release, and the lord knows you wont hold out that long for the GOTY edition.

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 4:43:06 PM PDT
Even *Hitler* knew that six years between Elder Scrolls games was too freaking damn long:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kri4wsBImfU

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 9:27:45 PM PDT
Max Renn says:
I raged at Bethesda and New Vegas for multiple near game-breaking glitches. I boycotted the DLC and will be waiting until GOTY and I'm only buying it used. Despite all of that, I pre-ordered Skyrim. There's no way a true Scrolls fan would not pre-order unless they were broke.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2011 8:30:37 AM PDT
Dan says:
You know this is a completely new engine that was built specifically for Skyrim? I mean, I know Bethesda's track record hasn't been great in the past when in regard to bugs, but I have hope that this game will be at least less buggy than the other games were at launch...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2011 8:33:10 AM PDT
Dan says:
Yeah, I mean it couldn't possibly be more horrendous than the Dead Island launch. I had to wait three good weeks before that game was playable and my files were safe. I'm pretty sure Bethesda won't make such a novice error.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  21
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Sep 24, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 3, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Greatest Hits) - Playstation 3
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Greatest Hits) - Playstation 3 by Bethesda (PlayStation 3)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (1,167)