To Buyers... Would you have paid $139.99 for this set...?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 23, 2011 4:32:10 PM PDT
David Harris says:
List price is showing as $139.99, and $79.99 is 60% off. Now I know all about list prices and SRPs.

Star Trek OTS 3-pack is Listed at $249.99 and currently runs $181.99 (27% off). I bought it new here for $139.99 fortunately!

As my title asks, if you DID buy it, would you have paid the full list price? Or was that a factor in your decision?

Posted on Sep 23, 2011 8:17:36 PM PDT
RAF says:
I got it for $90, and I think that was steep. I wouldn't have paid $130 for it.

Posted on Sep 25, 2011 9:09:31 AM PDT
Jack Pacini says:
No way I would pay $130 for it like it is. Maybe if the unaltered original trilogy in HD were included, but that too is a big maybe!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2011 10:00:35 AM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
No. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but the $80 price had A LOT to do with why I purchased it now. Would have definitely waited for it to drop in price had it actually started at $140.

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 11:26:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2011 11:28:45 PM PDT
Hard to say. When this was first announced, I figured that is the price it would have been closer to. When a New Hope was released on VHS in 1982 it retailed for $109 for the single film!!!!! The laserdisc set for the star wars trilogy was $249.99 at the time of release back in 1993! That was only 3 movies! I did not buy the laserdisc because I was a kid and because I never owned a laserdisc player either, but... growing up in a generation where we used to pay $24.99 per VHS tape (that would be $150 bucks for the whole saga if they were all available back then), the saga would have been a steal on bluray EVEN if it were priced higher than $79.99.

The MSRP for the Star Wars trilogy on DVD back in 2004 was $100... most places sold it for $50... I remember paying around $50 at Best Buy when I bought mine on release day. The prequels I bought as they were released on DVD and I don't remember what I paid for them, but they had to be around $20. So just an estimate, I paid around $110 total for the entire Saga on DVD format between 2002 and 2005.

So to pay $140 for the entire saga on blu ray disc with all the special features does not seem outrageous to me. So yes I probably would have still bought it at that price point, although I would have thought more about my purchase. The fact that it was $79.99 on release day definitely made me seal the deal that much more, I had it pre-ordered when it was 89.99, and i was willing to pay that! I will say this, the cost of owning films for home viewing has gotten MUCH cheaper over the years and the quality has gotten MUCH better! We go from over $100 for a New Hope on VHS in 1982, to $249 for 3 movies on laserdiscs in 1993, to $50 for the trilogy on DVD in 2004, to $79 for ALL 6 movies on Blu-ray in 2011! We are so lucky to live in the age that we do!

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 1:00:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2011 1:02:15 AM PDT
Lenoir says:
I wouldn't own them if they were free. Not episodes 4-6 anyway. Just can't stand to see any more corruption of the originals.

Lovely thing though. Somebody donated this entire set to my local library this weekend, where people can rent DVDs/Blu-Rays for free. I guess they didn't want them, and/or wanted people who were curious to see them be able to without Lucas getting any of their money. Sweet!

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 7:59:00 AM PDT
Puggo says:
I WOULD pay that much if the original theatrical versions were included in decent quality.

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 11:31:42 AM PDT
David Harris says:
Matthew, I have a similar perspective on this, in about '79-80 I paid $90.00 each for "Superman" and "Star Trek-TMP" on beta tapes! Glad I was a rich kid. I think I still have those, but I'm more apt to watch "Superman" on my much-cheaper dvd now. ;)

The Star Trek OTS 3-pack was a qaundry for me but fortunately it dropped to $139 just before Xmas so I snatched it as a gift to myself. This set I would ONLY buy if the original theatricals were restored to it. I have original and special edition SW dvds, no need to pay just to ONLY get even worse special editions! The picture, I'm sure it's amazing but I didn't grow up with HD, just rabbit ears and adjusting the vertical hold sometimes. So 1080p full HD looks like magic to me! And the bonus features, I've seen a lot of good ones on Youtube.

People keep saying wait, there WILL be an ultimate set coming out someday. But I think even the youngling fans will be tired of double-dipping, just like us old pharts have had to quadruple-dip buying versions over the years!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2011 1:15:37 PM PDT
P. R. Blay says:
I paid $32 for each ST blu-ray set at Best Buy.

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 7:53:52 PM PDT
David Harris says:
Now that's pretty good! But I have no Best Buy in town so I miss out on some good deals, have to be on the lookout online always. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Sep 23, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 27, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Episodes I-VI) [Blu-ray]
Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Episodes I-VI) [Blu-ray] by Mark Hamill (Blu-ray - 2011)
3.5 out of 5 stars   (3,383)