Buying an Apple Macbook Pro on Amazon Are the Apple Macbook Pros sold by Amazon the newest models? When does the Apple warranty begin -- when the computer is bought from Amazon or when the computer is first turned on and registered? How does Amazon sell these computers at such a discount? And what are the downsides to buying an Apple Macbook Pro on Amazon as opposed to the Apple store or Apple.com??
asked by Susan on February 6, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 answers
A
I purchased an AppleTV on Amazon and to get the warranty I had to fax my receipt to Apple. The one-year warranty starts the date of purchase from Amazon. After you purchase your Mac on Amazon you can check to see if the warranty is activated at https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

If the warranty isn't activated (which it probably won't be), then you will have to send them your receipt (which you can print out from your Amazon account page).

I don't have a strong opinion on the Apple Care warranty. I own two Macs and do not have Apple Care on either one. That is because I never buy extended warranties. I'm sure that many people would recommend an extended warranty. If my Mac is 2.5 years old and breaks, I get to buy a new faster Mac as opposed to waiting for the old one to get repaired. There is no downside to buying any Apple products from an authorized Apple reseller (which Amazon is). My advice is buy it from Amazon and save some money.
asdf answered on March 2, 2010
Comment | 10 of 10 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
an easy way to figure it out is to check apple store site find what you are looking for and write down the model number then come back to amazon and do a search. i think you are too worried over nothing. its just a different store to buy from. the only time you have to do something is if you want the 3 yr warranty in which you have to fax something over to apple to manually activate it. you get a discount cost by buying through amazon. the reason why apple is full retail is cuz they would be competing against their own retailers that buy through them. the downside to ordering through amazon is you don't get to custom order your mac to your needs. so you pretty much have to take a pre-configured one and your extended optional warranty doesn't auto activate like it would through apple store. you still might have to pay tax either way. it comes down to choice. hope this helps.
Aaron585 answered on February 21, 2010
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
If you are a state or federal employee you can get a 10% discount direct from apple if you order online. http://store.apple.com/us_epp_55499?mco=MTM3NDY3NjM
Chapwoman answered on March 14, 2010
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks for the info. I did notice that only certain models are offered on amazon (and the downside to ordering from amazon would be not being able to custom order). My concern was just whether apple would still honor the 1 year warranty that comes with every mac. I took a class at the apple store once and they seemed pretty down on people who bought outside the store (or apple.com). I understand that they're just trying to garner business, but I was just wondering if they would make it difficult to deal with their support people if I had a receipt from amazon (or one of amazon's trusted seller's) as opposed to a reciept from Apple. I'm sure I'm just worrying over nothing, but I've had so many problems with electronics in the past and know how hard it is to get good customer support and just didn't want to have to jump through hoops with apple if I had problems.
Also, do you know if I have to REGISTER my computer for the 1 year warranty to kick in? Or is it automatic? And do you think the 3 year apple care extended warranty is worth it? I noticed it was cheaper on amazon -- is there any downside to ordering it from amazon, if you think it's worth investing in???
Thanks again for your help!
Susan answered on February 21, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
If you need a warranty try squaretrade.com. I was comparing the warranty between best buy and them for the same 2 years and square trade was much cheaper.
Sbaranco answered on August 9, 2014
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
True, but in Texas you pay 8.25% sales tax to have Apple ship you the computer. Amazon's discount is cheaper. However, also, I get 3% rebate from Chase for using "the card".
Ragnar Danneskjöld answered on April 2, 2010
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hello I want to get the new MacBook pro 2012 I was wondering if I bought it on amazon if I could still get the apple care for one year it would get a lot off of my chest also is the Apple company legit on amazon? Thanks!
G. Patterson answered on June 21, 2012
Comment | 1 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product