LaCie Hard Disk 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive designed by Neil Poulton 301304U
Used & New from: $99.99
Buying for Dish VIP522 DVR...How many hrs of HD recording does 750gb get me? As in my topic line, I want to know how many recording hours in HiDef can I get out of a 750gb hard drive? Also, someone referred to an activation fee of $39.95...for an existing customer? Just to add my own piece of equipment? That just doesn't seem right. Anyone know for sure?
asked by Housemouse on February 6, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 answers
A
The 39.99 fee is to turn a regular receiver into a DVR when an external HD is attached. The fee also unlocks a feature on DVR receivers to have expanded storage with an external drive. It's a one time fee, and for those with a non-DVR receiver, they pay the fee once and have no monthly dvr fee.
njdance4u answered on February 11, 2009
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I don't know if this will answer your question because the hours which a 750gb hard drive can hold depends on many factors but I can give you some examples: Battlestar Galactica on Sci-Fi HD - 2126mb and 1971mb; Fringe on FOX HD - 2556mb, 2680mb and 2518mb; Rome's Buried City on History HD - 1668mb and Secret Access: Air Force One on National Geographic HD - 1784mb. All of these are 1 hour HD programs with the standard 1 minute before and 3 minutes after chosen when hitting the record button while displaying the channel guide for the day or week. And I have about 20 hard drives this size with recordings right now. For me, the $39.95 ONE-TIME activation fee was really cheap because there are movies which I no longer wish to purchase on DVD since most of my money goes into quality blu-rays. Hope this helps!

My modest system:

Belkin AP30800fc10 Battery Backup to protect lamp in Projection TV; Definitive Technology: C-1, Powerfield 1500 Subwoofer x 2 ea., BP-10 x 2 ea., BP-2 x 2 ea
Richard T. Kolinski answered on February 6, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›