5.0 out of 5 stars I'm convinced!
I purchased this book on Saturday at a book signing in Washington DC, read it on Sunday afternoon, and immediately decided to become a vegetarian. I gave up red meat and pork a year ago when I became alarmed by the high rate of cancer in my own circle of friends and family. Dairy followed last fall - for digestive reasons - and I haven't had a cold since...
Published on May 4, 2010 by NadineR

3.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to Veganism
A great introduction to veganism with explicit descriptions of how all foods get to our plate. An easy and informative read. The recipes towards the end of the book sound quite tasty too and I can't wait to try some of them.
Published 7 months ago by Pildit

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm convinced!, May 4, 2010
NadineR (Arlington, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: By Any Greens Necessary: A Revolutionary Guide for Black Women Who Want to Eat Great, Get Healthy, Lose Weight, and Look Phat (Paperback)

Reading this book was the push I needed to also say no to chicken and fish. It was especially difficult, disgusting, and disturbing to read about meat processing practices in the US. I can't believe I've eaten the meat products from these industries for this long!

I think everyone should read this book and be fully informed before making dietary decisions. You won't regret it

5.0 out of 5 stars By Any Greens Necessary is a Winner!, June 22, 2010
When I went to see Tracye McQuirter speak about her book "By Any Greens Necessary" I was curious about the vegan life style but still a conscientious omnivore. I basically went to her book signing to be supportive. What I received in return for my support was something I hadn't imagined. I found her to be an amazing speaker, both motivational and inspirational when it comes to holistic wellness. She looks extremely healthy--proof that the message in her book really works.

I bought her book shortly after her talk at the bookstore. I wasn't expecting it to touch me in the way it did nor was I expecting to change my diet. I read it and re-read it and like the other reviewers have reported, I was convinced. I felt that I had to make a change for myself and for the farmed animals I had been consuming.

"By Any Greens Necessary" makes a vegan lifestyle accessible to all and is especially inspirational to African American women. I have found myself referring to her wonderful recipe section as well as to the rest of the book frequently as I transition to the vegan path. I recommend this book highly to those who are struggling with their weight, health issues and the moral ethics of eating meat. Moreover, it is very helpful in particular to African Americans who might find this transition socially, culturally and economically daunting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revolutionary Indeed!, April 30, 2010
Quincee (Florida, United States) - See all my reviews
I received my copy yesterday and couldn't put it down! I finished reading at about 10 o'clock last night and handed it over to my sister. We've been making a conscious effort to eat healthier since February and the information offered by Ms. McQuirter in this book is making me consider taking it up a notch. An excellent and informative read. If you're questioning where your food comes from, how it impacts your health or contributes to larger global issues, this is the book for you because Tracye McQuirter offers facts to make you think, then act, and then adds many intriguing alternative vegan recipes to get you started.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift to share with those you love!, June 17, 2010
M. C. Moore (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
I just finished reading By Any Greens Necessary based on the recommendation of my vegan cooking instructor, Mimi Clark. My husband and I transitioned to a vegan diet approximately six months ago, after I had experimented with vegetarian diets off and on for years. If you are curious or considering a plant-based diet; recently transitioned to one; or have a difficult time explaining the merits of a plant-based diet to your loved ones, this is the book for you! Perhaps you might want to get a few copies -- read and keep one for yourself as a reference guide, and share the other copy.

This book is well written in layman's language, and I found it easy to identify with Tracye and her contributors' stories. This book is like Cliff's Notes for veganism. The recipes for the most part are easy to follow and utilize easy-to-find ingredients. In fact, I prepared the curried quinoa recipe on the same day I purchased the book using ingredients I already had on hand. I included Tracye's curried quinoa in my husband's lunch the next day, and I received an enthusiastic and appreciative call after hubby had eaten his lunch. He is still raving about that quinoa and has asked that I start including it in the regular rotation of meals.

By Any Greens Necessary would make a wonderful gift to yourself or to share with those you want to encourage to eat in a more healthful and conscious manner! Before you ask, I do not personally know the author and have no affiliations with her or the publisher -- although in the interest of disclosure, the author is from my hometown. :) Like Oprah, when I learn of something so good, I want to share it everyone. If I had not already made the transition to veganism, I do believe this book would have been the catalyst for me to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for all vegans black, white, and all colors in between!, August 18, 2010
I purchased this book on a whim. I was considering going vegetarian for my health, then decided to look into veganism. The author outlines her reasons for being a vegan, and some points to take into consideration that are very clear and easy to follow. Her book isn't full of someone else's studies and theories, she gives you enough facts with her own words. Even my grandmother read the book and learned some new things. Her book also gives a few recipes that show veganism isn't as complicated as one's health food store shelves lead you to believe. I love this book and have recommended it to friends and family. Thank you Tracye for writing such a wonderful book!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspiring and Life-changing Must Read!, May 20, 2010
I started reading "By any Greens Necessary" the day before yesterday and finished it yesterday. "By any Greens Necessary" is such an inspiration to me. The information on the treatment of animals was appalling and deeply emotional for me. Much of the information was familiar to me, yet it presented in a way that was fresh and gripping. I thank Tracye for helping me get off the fence about whether or not I wanted to go back to being vegan. Thank you Tracye for gifting the world with such a loving offering.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Process to Change, June 23, 2010
Shawn (Upper Marlboro, Maryland) - See all my reviews
The book is awesome. I've often read through books on health and wellness and was not interested (maybe because the terms used, I was unfamiliar with) but this book was an easy read. I definitely will be adopting some of the suggested eating habits into my family's lifestyle. This book has actually inspired me to prepare meals. At any rate, please know that i believe that this book will inspire others to think differently about what they allow into their temples. Since reading this book, family members as well as others have noticed a change in my weight and skin. I haven't totally given up meat or dairy, but it is not as much a part of my diet as it was prior to reading this book. This book is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm convinced!, May 15, 2010
A friend recommended this book to me. I had been eating "vegan" for about 6 weeks but was unsure if I would continue. After reading Tracye's book I am convinced that this is the best decision for me. I am still unsure that I want to kick my dairy habit (i.e., cheese and eggs) because I love to bake but that will work itself out in time.

The recipes I have tried from the book have been so delicious. My husband, who is not eating the way I am, loved the spicy kale salad.

Thanks Trayce for such a timely book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Grateful & convinced, July 6, 2010
This was an excellent book! I'm recommending it to everyone I know. Thank you Tracye for delivering us the raw truth. This book has changed my life. I am very excited about my new vegan lifestyle and taking my health to a new level.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended for ANY woman that wants to go VEG!, July 14, 2010
I've been transitioning to Vegetarian for a couple of years now. I eat 90% veg and the other 10% is fish which I plan to cut out all together next month.

I looooove this book. Great information, most of which I'd already learned in the past but great refresher and for anyone who's hearing these stats for the first time. Tracye is a fantastic writer and engages you from word #1.

I think it was unnecessary to "Niche" it to just Black Women as it may discourage other races from buying it and not receiving the awesome info within its highly informative pages.

VLT and Breaded Tofu Cutlets were all I made so far and both were awesome. I can't wait to try the other recipes. Finding healthy AND tasty AND relatively easy to make vegan has pretty much been elusive for me so far so I'm really excited about this sista's book. The only thing that kept me from giving this book 5 stars is that I would have liked to see nutritional information.

This book would make a great gift to any woman you care about and would like to see go veg.

Rate and Discover Movies