5.0 out of 5 stars Great Wedding or Shower Gift
I received a copy of this book as a gift when I was engaged. It was an excellent way to help prepare for marriage, not just the wedding day. Now we give it to almost all the young couples we know when they get married. It is easy to read but full of excellent PRACTICAL advice on how to have a wonderful marriage. I highly recommend it!
Published on December 6, 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Ignoring marriage's real challenges
While this book uses an interesting format - letters from an older mentor to a young bride - it seems to sidestep the true difficulties that married couples face. The bride, Julie, appears to have written to her penpal about various marital issues: morning crankiness, occasionally unsatisfying sex, her husband's little irritating habits such as knuckle-cracking.
How...
Published on May 6, 2003 by laurabo

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Wedding or Shower Gift, December 6, 1999
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Exception for all stages of marriage, July 6, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: By Love Refined: Letters to a Young Bride (Paperback)
This book should be read continuiously throughout all phases of marriage. It is exceptional, light reading which brings its points across quickly and easily for all to ponder and reflect on. After being married for some years, I see what paths I have taken and where I haven't. It lets you now your not alone in the frustrations to reaching successful fulfillment of a Christian marriage. To Mrs Von Hildebrand, thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Ready to be a Wife, February 1, 2000
This review is from: By Love Refined: Letters to a Young Bride (Paperback)
Excellent book that prepares you to be a wife and have a healthy relationship with your spouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, July 27, 2012
This review is from: By Love Refined: Letters to a Young Bride (Paperback)
My wife received this as a gift and she commented a few times on the practicality of the author's advice, and the engaging manner in which she writes

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all (esp. catholic/christian) brides!, February 11, 2014
I love this book! The first year(s) of marriage can be challenging, it's unknown territory. This book has helped me by reminding me to not be so selfish and it really encouraged me to know that I am not the first to go through some of marriages challenges. Also, this book helped keep me mindful of my husbands perspective. I think it helped me be respectful to my husband (even when I didn't want to) and also made me realize that in doing so it really made me happy and feel loved. I highly recommend this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars By Love Refined: Letters to a Young Bride, September 16, 2013
This review is from: By Love Refined: Letters to a Young Bride (Paperback)
By Love Refined: Letters to a Young Bride is a book that provides level-headed advice for brides in the midst of a world that has lost the meaning of real love in marriage. This advice can go a long way toward making a happy home for both husband and wife. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect intellectual/spiritual bridal shower gift, December 16, 2014
Randall A. Young (West Linn, OR, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: By Love Refined: Letters to a Young Bride (Paperback)
One of our most popular stand-by bridal shower gifts for a young bride-to-be. Von Hildebrand is a spiritual powerhouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, October 14, 2014
An excellent book

1.0 out of 5 stars Ignoring marriage's real challenges, May 6, 2003
"laurabo" (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: By Love Refined: Letters to a Young Bride (Paperback)
How lucky we are if that's the worst it gets! How about the really tough questions? Like infidelity? Or financial stress? Or substance addiction? Or major health issues? These are all real-life problems that couples struggle with - not just deciding which social events to attend (a topic the writers discuss at length).
Maybe the book was just meant to be a sweet romp through a picture-perfect marriage. But if people are turning to the book for wisdom, its rose-tinted view of life and marriage could severely mislead newlyweds. A more realistic book might help them avoid that.

By Love Refined: Letters to a Young Bride
By Love Refined: Letters to a Young Bride by Alice Von Hildebrand (Paperback - November 15, 1998)
$14.95 $12.24