Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

50%
50%
Format: HardcoverChange

on September 10, 2008
This book focuses on a crucial body of works by Cézanne, seldom seen and therefore seldom studied, his watercolors. Full of high-quality illustrations, it enables the reader to discover Cézanne's technique, his mastery of color and his virtuoso treatment of line, and also the relationship he draws between both. The study of this relationship between line and color is the core of the author's text, which follows a basically chronological pattern, with many anecdotes on the master's life and comments by his closest contemporaries (the writer Emile Zola, the painter Emile Bernard, etc). The last chapter, centered on Cézanne's late watercolors of bathers is particularly interesting.

Highly recommended.
0Comment37 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2013
This may be what you are looking for. I personally like monographs to be just that, I found this to be more of a survey; it is filled with reproductions of other contemporary artists work. The reproductions are so-so, the color is just not there altogether. But hey - there is nothing else out there in print on this most important period... I can't comment on the text - I am a painter and buy Monographs for the reproductions only. So buy it but be forewarned about these issues and you won't be disappointed:)
on February 21, 2013
It is a good book with many illustrations. For me it was not quite what I was looking for, which was more of the late
watercolors, but in general still a book I will keep and enjoy. The only disappointing thing for me was the quality of the
illustrations. Since I have been around a long time and have collected many art books I am a picky one for illustrations.
on October 4, 2010
Great quality, beautiful reproductions. Great choice for any fan of cezanne or someone looking for good water color reference.