Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 4, 2013
The writings of C.S. Lewis were instrumental in my dad's salvation, so I'm always on the hunt for something unexpected and related to give him for the holidays. This year, happily, I can give him this for Christmas. It's a wonderful behind-the-scenes look at Lewis (as a brilliant man who at times struggles to be "understood by the common man") when two of his most revered works were brewing in his mind -- "Mere Christianity" and "The Screwtape Letters." It captures Lewis well -- the professor, the dutiful surrogate son, the author, and the man. Some of its best touches are in subtle hints toward what might have inspired him in his later books -- such as a lost doll in a wardrobe during an air raid. It's wonderful to hear short conversations with "Tollers" (Tolkien) and even Dorothy Sayers gets a mention. My only lament is I didn't want it to end, and it left me with questions -- maybe the writers don't have the answers to them, but nevertheless, I'd have liked to know if Lewis' writings ever did encourage his surrogate mother to give up her stance on Christianity and warm toward the truth?

That being said, thank you, Focus on the Family, for another brilliant radio theater presentation. I spent a wonderful Saturday morning listening to it, and know that my dad will love it. If I can keep my mouth shut about how wonderful it is until then...
on February 10, 2014
Nice dramatization into Lewis's life. Especially enjoyed being able to listen to "Mere Christianity" while driving to work. I've read the book, but hearing it brought more dimension to the text. Nice quality of recording & voicing. Easy to understand (the voice actor's reading voice was clear, engaging & interesting) and event kids (ages 11 & 9) were engaged in the dramatization & the narration.
on November 28, 2013
I am a HUGE fan of the Focus on the Family Radio Theater adaptations of The Chronicles of Narnia. (Fact: I have listened to them so many times that I am on my second set of CDs.) And so I was very pleased, but not surprised, to find that "C. S. Lewis at War: The Dramatic Story Behind Mere Christianity" shares a similar excellence. The wonderful words, terrific voices, and amazing music all combine to tell a story that is more engaging, more insightful, and more moving than would be possible in another format because radio theater enlists concrete audio elements along with our imagination.

The real story behind how Lewis came to write Mere Christianity, so superbly brought to life here, is as fascinating and as inspiring as any of the fictional stories he created. Those who know the details of Lewis's life will that find "C. S. Lewis at War" will help them to more vividly see the events surrounding this time in his early career. Those who know only Lewis the author are in for a real treat.
on February 15, 2014
This was a delightful and fascinating production with high-quality acting and sound effects that put you right in the scene of the story. As a fan of C.S. Lewis and his writing, I was very pleased with how he was portrayed, and although I've read much of his work, I wasn't aware of this part of his life story, so it was an extra treat. Highly recommended!
on November 22, 2013
This has the background of how Mere Christianity was written. It contains two discs that has this part and it is fairly short. I was expecting it to be longer. The other discs are the actual book in dramatized form, which I have not gotten to listen yet. Overall, not bad. My favorite in this series are Silas Marner, Les Miserables and At The Back of the Northwind.
on March 16, 2014
Got this for husband's birthday and it was a double win because I also wanted it. A Radio Theatre production from Focus on the Family has yet another success. I wholeheartedly recommend it to all who appreciate and enjoy the work of C. S. Lewis.
on June 4, 2014
Big fan here of all of the Focus on the Family productions.

I am very sadly disappointed with Focus on the Family. I purchased a few of their productions in this order and so about 2.5 months passed before listening to the second part of this set. This is way beyond the Amazon return period. So I contacted Focus on the Family when I found CD#3 of Part II was blank.

This is the response received regarding the blank CD.

============================================================================
Response Via Email (Paige Williams) 06/02/2014 04:26 AM
Thank you for your e-mail to Focus on the Family, Chris. It's great to hear that you have a collection of our Radio Theatre production!

We're sorry to learn that you are experiencing problems playing one of the CD's from C.S. Lewis At War and Mere Christianity. We wish there was something we could do on our end to be of help, however, we must ask that you get in touch with Amazon directly to resolve this issue as this product was purchased from them.

Again, we apologize that we can't be of more direct assistance. Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's some other way we can serve you and your family in the future. We appreciate your friendship and interest in our ministry. Grace and peace to you!

Paige Williams
Focus on the Family

===============================================================================

In response to this I sent them a screen-shot from Amazon showing that the standard return period has expired. No response. A few days later I called Focus on the Family and told them (again) that it was purchased at Amazon and they transferred me to another book seller who could do nothing (as expected). Then I called back and they said "will see what we can do". All this time invested in getting a CD replaced when it costs about what .. less than a dollar or two for the CD + shipping + postage. Besides, should they stand behind their product? This is NOT what I expected. A whole new set was NOT requested, just the single CD or the contents for download which would not use any materials. They have failed to response. Worse actually, support said they would reply by phone or email and they have not. Above is the only response from them. I told them I was going to post this and they didn't care. Guess they are so big they can treat customers like this.

So back to Amazon..
Simple
Easy
Amazon is sending a replacement set in a One-Day shipment because I am a "frequent customer" so don't expect them to return so late. I certainly could have waited the regular shipment time but that is over-the-top customer service!

BEWARE - Thoroughly check out the CD contents and take a listen within the 14 or 30 days.
55 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2015
The first two CDs contain a high-quality radio-drama with an introduction by C.S. Lewis' step-son, Douglas Gresham. It covers the history of C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity extraordinarily well, carefully weaving the most important details into a tight script. I previously read Justin Phillips' book, C.S. Lewis in a Time of War, and George Sayer's biography of C.S. Lewis entitled, Jack: A Life of C.S, Lewis, which describe many of the details that are woven into this radio-drama.

The additional CDs that are included are a dramatization of Mere Christianity and are also high-quality. For those who are unfamiliar with C.S. Lewis' book, Mere Christianity, it is the best summation of Christianity that I have ever read. It is broken up into four parts. C.S. Lewis spends the first part of the book arguing for the truth of Christianity. Lewis spends second part of the book explaining what orthodox Christians believe. He goes onto explain what Christian behaviour should look like, and spends the last portion of the book explaining God, the Trinity, and God's relationship with humanity. C.S. Lewis was intentionally careful about avoiding some of the doctrinal differences that divide Christians, instead focusing on the beliefs and behaviours that unite orthodox Christianity, hence the title, Mere Christianity.

Overall, I have been extremely happy with my purchase. I've listened to the CDs several times already and just purchased another copy for my brother who is a pastor. I recommend this radio-drama and audio-book set to anyone who is interested in learning more about C.S. Lewis, or wants to step back in time with him, or simply wants an introduction to Christianity itself. May God bless you through what you hear.
on February 3, 2016
This was excellent. My son and I listened to this as we drove weekly to ski club and had 3 hours in the car each week. We both thoroughly enjoed it. I think it is a Focus on the Family Theater Drama work (sorry, pulling from memory right now). I have never been disappointed in Focus' theater dramas. They are all highly professional works.
on June 1, 2016
My wife and I are big fans of C.S. Lewis in general. It was intriguing to get a peek into his personal life with the dramatized portion of this. We're going to listen to Mere Christianity next, which I've read before and it was also fantastic.