5.0 out of 5 stars It's a good cable but make sure that THIS is what you need
This is the most common USB cable these days for connecting 'something' to your computer but... beware of the 'Micro-B vs. Mini-B' interface confusion (read below).

Published on August 19, 2009 by A. Dent

1.0 out of 5 stars Cable is Mis-labelled - Uses 28AWG instead of 24 AWG
Published on April 4, 2012 by Craig

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a good cable but make sure that THIS is what you need, August 19, 2009

On this specific cable, everything is done right, including the price. It is USB 2.0 certified, meaning that it supports data transfer rates of up to 480Mbps and, if your device accepts a Mini-B plug, this is the cable to get. Maybe the 2-meter length (6+ ft.) is a little bit too much but it does not bother me a lot and there may come a time when a cable this long may come in handy.

I am awarding this item 5 stars for price and quality - there's nothing to complain. However, I suggest that you look around before you place the order because you just might have one of these already as they tend to ship with many electronic gadgets these days.

______________________________________________

Notes:

Anyone in the market for a USB cable should be very careful because there are at least 6 kinds of USB connectors. If you are buying a cable that connects 'something' to your computer or laptop, the computer end of the cable will always be a USB-A or 'Type A' connector. At the other end, you may have a USB-B/Type B - a nearly square shaped connector used mostly to deliver power to a device but this is rare. Most likely, you will have a Mini-B or a Micro-B. The difference between the 2 is that the Micro-B is half as thick while the width is the same - Mini-B is 3x7mm while Micro-B is 1.5x7mm.

If your device (phone, PDA, camera) is a 'new' one and it's using USB, chances are that they will need a Micro-B connector because the industry seems to be adopting the 'Micro' form factor as its standard. If the above sounds simple, you should keep in mind that some devices require Mini-AB or Micro-AB connectors, also known as USB OTG (OnTheGo) devices.

My advice: before ordering any cable, make sure that you clearly understand what type of cable you need.

Whenever in doubt, do some more research and keep in mind that the 'Micro-B' (very small) is the emerging standard and it's likely to be found on the newer and smaller gadgets - phones, cameras, etc. but, before it we had the 'Mini-B' (this specific cable) so the older devices will need the 'Mini'.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cable is Mis-labelled - Uses 28AWG instead of 24 AWG, April 4, 2012
Craig (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
A number of reviewers have stated that this cable is not good for powering devices. An an electrical engineer I purchased a number of these for a current project. I found out the same thing. The voltage drops by about 1 volt across this 6 foot cable. I disassembled one of the cables to find out why. The problem is the the Red and Black wires for power and ground are the same 28 gauge wires used for the D+ and D- signals. The outer jacket of the cable is labelled the same as most USB cables. It indicates that the D+ and D- pair is 28 AWG and that the other two conductors are 24 AWG. This is not the case at all and is false advertising.

5.0 out of 5 stars good cable, no need to pay for some brandname, March 28, 2008
I use these cables for connecting MP3 devices and such, and also for connecting my Razr cellphone, using the Motorola Phone Tools software on my computer. (Note that for the latter purpose, you can actually use Bluetooth if you want to, and have the capability on your computer.)

Cable works perfectly, no problems or hassles. Construction quality is good. This is pretty basic technology after all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Useless with external hard drives; Okay for charging ps3 controller., April 19, 2010
I ordered this 'cos price was low. Tried connecting a Western Digital Elements 500gb portable hard disk and a 120gb hitachi 2.5 inch sata hard disk in an Acomdata Tango enclosure to my laptop using this. Connection is not at all stable. It connects and then disconnects immediately and then connects again and on and on. If left connected it'll probably damage the external hard drive. So right now, I'm using it only for charging my PS3 controller. Seems to be good for that. Hence the 2 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't work with powered USB devices, unlike similar cables, May 19, 2011
I have three or four mini-usb devices I use/travel with a lot, and I keep losing cables, so I bought four of these. Unfortunately, they won't work with most of my mini-USB devices. They work fine with my Wacom tablet, but not with my scanner (which takes mini-USB) or digital camera (which shows up as a device, but won't transfer files). I gather I need a mini-USB cable that can carry more power, but it's not indicated anywhere on any of the pages how well a cable will do this.

I have some thin, flimsy cables that work fine, so I really don't know how to tell which cables will work and which won't. I'm at a loss for what to buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for USB drives!, November 3, 2010
As others have said, this cable will not transmit enough power to run a USB hard drive. Not a bus-powered hard drive, not a powered hard drive, not a hub connected to a powered hard drive. If you like the sickening beep that hard drives make when they're attached to an intermittent power source (and the sickening clicking they'll soon make after that), then go ahead and plug your drive into this cable. It's your honeymoon photos on there, not mine.

But if you value your hard drive, heed my advice (which is identical to the advice others have posted here) and spend a few extra cents on a better cable. I thought the unit I got was defective, but the replacement cable (which cmple very responsively shipped) was exactly the same. Cmple has since very courteously refunded the purchase price of the product, and I think they deserve a lot of credit for that. But unfortunately it doesn't change the fact that, with hard drives, not working is just a feature this product has.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dont buy for powered devices, November 26, 2010
This review is from: C2G / Cables to Go 27329 USB 2.0 A to Mini-B Cable, Black (1 Meter/3.28 Feet) (Personal Computers)
this cable is too light-weight to carry enough power to the USB drive. If you need to power a device this is probably not the one.

1.0 out of 5 stars does NOT work with WD MyPassport Essential ext drive ...., September 7, 2009
Tried using this for two ext drives, a 160gb and a 320gb WD MyPassport Essential.
It does NOT work at all. I have Windows XP SP2. When using the short USB cable provided by WD, the ext drives are recognized, BUT not when using this cable.
When I plug it in, it asks for a DRIVER software. I already researched this and
it does NOT need one, just plug and play.

Did I get a bad cable copy or is it NOT compatible ? Not sure. All I know is that
it does NOT work using this cable.

1.0 out of 5 stars false advertising, June 18, 2012
The description for this item was clearly 2 Meter/6.56 Feet and the cables I received were exactly 6 feet long. I will also mention that the gauge of this cable is down right pathetic. It is by far the thinnest USB cable I have ever seen.

2.0 out of 5 stars not for hard drives, April 7, 2011
I have a western digital elements external hard drive and this cable did not work with it. if I use the cable that came with my digital camera it does work on that hard drive. dont get this if you want to use it with a portable hard drive IMO

Rate and Discover Movies