Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on May 6, 2012
I originally ordered the Cables To Go Field Service Engineer Tool Kit for my team at work based on the included selection of tools and as it has proved its value many times, I recently ordered the same kit to replace an aging, limited PC repair kit at home. The challenge with any of these types of kits is that none of them will likely have absolutely every tool you'll want, so you have to go with the closest match that also doesn't sacrifice quality.

One of the things I love about this Cables to Go kit is the quality and design of the case itself. Most of the PC/Network repair kits available might have a good selection of tools, but have a very cheap, flimsy case. This tool kit's case isn't a hard case, but it does have a pretty solid frame that reinforces the sides and enhances overall sturdiness. The stitching, tool pockets, zipper, and carrying handle all have a solid feel as well. Unlike many of the common PC tool kit cases, you won't open this case to find that all your tools have come loose from their respective pockets to congregate into one unprofessional looking mess -- the tools in this case stay put! Absolutely one of the best features of the case lies in the versatility of the case's main tray. Don't like or need the included tools in main tray or don't like the size of the parts compartments? Don't worry -- the compartment partitions are attached with velcro and completely adjustable! I hadn't even noticed this feature until I got a case for home use and was figuring out how to add some of my own tools and with a minimal rearrangement, the case now packs almost everything I want.

The included tools may not be top of the line, but they're no super-cheap children's tools either. I haven't used all of them, but never had any problem with the ones I have used -- they've all held up to the task.

As for the variety of tools, the selection is almost perfect for my needs. Here's what I've added, however:
-Three prong parts retriever tool
-RJ-45 crimp/cut/strip tool
-OXO Good Grips Electronics Cleaning Brush
-Large tweezers
-Other random but useful items.

Pros:
-Quality, sturdy case that keeps tools in their place.
-Customizable compartments in main tray.
-Near-perfect selection of basic tools for PC and/or network hardware maintenance.

Cons:
-None really. No pre-packed tool kit will likely have every tool you would want for a specific field unless you put the kit together yourself. This kit has a higher price than some other similar kits and that may seem to be a con to some, but you get what you pay for and I consider ~$100 for this kit to be acceptable.
on February 7, 2016
Good took kit for the occasional repair. The soldering iron is not the greatest, but in a bind will get you through. You would be better off quality wise to buy quality items individually. I wish I did. You may pay more, but the quality is a lot better.
on March 10, 2013
So I think this is a great tool kit regardless what others have said and it would have cost far more to get everything it separately on my own. I did not find anything in it that was cheap looking as others have said and it is a major upgrade to my little tool set I was using before. =)
on December 11, 2014
I picked this up as a tool kit for a new employee. It is exactly what I expected to get. The included tools are good for our purposes, but maybe not the most fantastic quality out there. For our purposes they do the trick and we like them.
on February 22, 2015
I've had this for about 2 years now... my only complaint is the screw drivers broke. I ended up replacing them with craftsmen. Other than that, it's a very affordable kit. Great for my job as an IT tech.
on August 24, 2015
It is a neat set, nice start up kit. However the bag strap is crap. It broke while inserting it on the bag. 2 stars for poor engineering of this bag. The voltmeter is poor in quality as I believe I got a defective one, keeps showing 1 when checking for resistance.
review image review image
on April 19, 2011
This is my second Field Service tools set from Cables to Go. My first set I had for over a year almost two with no problems, but quit that job and had to return them. If I could have kept them I would still be using that set. I like the fact all the tools I need are there. I was in Field Support now I do Hardware support so not in the field anymore. So I don't use my tools everyday. The storage in the case is really limited. If you need addtional smaller tools and/or cabling tools you should be okay if you take out the soidering stuff. There is no room for bluky items it make the case harder to close. If you work on printers or repairs on a daily basis you might not like the set. The screw drivers are fine to take out but I stuggle with the plyers and bigger items. Do I need the Field Service tool set not really. Would I recommend the set if you do 7+ sites a day maybe not. That's why I like this tool kit. It has everything I need to do my job. It works for me...

Update: 4/3/2014:

I have had this tool kit a few years. The tools held up real well. The only issue is the bag's handle snapped off, the shoulder strap clip broke off on one side, and the zippers are bent. I have to carry extra tools and cables which are a pain with the case.
on May 5, 2014
Pricey for what you get. You could probably assemble the same kit for half the cost. Keep looking around. You can do better.
on March 29, 2009
The Good:
It had everything I could ever want or need when fixing computers, desk tops, notebooks or servers. Nice quality tools, lots of extras, really nice inside the case, it has removable partitions in the bottom, and even came with an antistatic wrist band and a partitioned parts box -- kind of cool.
The not so good:
It's pricey and the brand name "Cables to go" is imprinted on the case in really big white letters, it's seems kind of cheesy to me.
Overall,
Nice set, I recommend it.
on January 7, 2013
I love this set. The case is fantastic for durability and looks. The tools work as intended. I carry this with me every day. I have added some smaller screwdriver sets, and Ethernet crimper and tester and some other misc tools. I would recommend this!

See 1 answered question